Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is it better for low income people to live?
Western/Northern Europe 21 48.84%
Canada 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 04:52 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florian73 View Post
The biggest problem in Germany was probably the extreme generous benefits before 2003. It was normal that unemployed people get 60% of their last salary for 3 years. A lot of people accostomed to those high social benefits. Those people are now the core of the german longterm unemploymen. It is probably impossible to integrate those people ever in the job market.

Social benefits are probably higher in Germany than in Canada. But on the long term those benefits aren't helpful to get the people back in job. To many social benefits tranquillize the people rather than help them. Probably Canada has found a good middle course.

The job centers are responsible for the unemployed people. The unemployed have to got in touch with the job centers. When they miss those appointments, the job centers can cut the benefits.
Canada has similar unemployment insurance as well. But you have to have paid into for at least some time in order to get it. And the duration is limited as well. The details vary according to the job situation in your area and they will send you info on jobs and you have to show up for interviews of they will cut you off.

The max you can get is about 350 Euros per week.

In Quebec we also have a prescription medicine plan that covers low income people for a flat annual fee.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-05-2014 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: fixed formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 05:47 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Further information regarding unemployment here - if you register as unemployed without any professional qualifications or without working in the last couple of years (some anyway, not sure how much exactly) then you aren't eligible for unemployment benefits for the first 5 months unless you go on a course or do work experience. If you do a course or work experience or something other employment promotion measure you get an extra 9 euros a day in your benefit so there is incentive to do something rather than just sit at home claiming the money (or not being to claim at all).

Employers are also encouraged to hire the unemployed with salary-help - certain unemployed people (for example under 30s) get a card which means an employer potentially can get a subsidy from the State temporarily for employing that person.

Unemployed often get discounts at museums, zoos, swimming pools and places like that which is nice.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:53 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Further information regarding unemployment here - if you register as unemployed without any professional qualifications or without working in the last couple of years (some anyway, not sure how much exactly) then you aren't eligible for unemployment benefits for the first 5 months unless you go on a course or do work experience. If you do a course or work experience or something other employment promotion measure you get an extra 9 euros a day in your benefit so there is incentive to do something rather than just sit at home claiming the money (or not being to claim at all).
Ah, yes, right. Good clarification about the 5 month quarantine. If you're under 25 or something you have to enroll to a school as well.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Ah, yes, right. Good clarification about the 5 month quarantine. If you're under 25 or something you have to enroll to a school as well.
Yeah I tried to register as unemployed after I dropped out of Uni and they wouldn't let me as I was under 25 then.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Yeah I tried to register as unemployed after I dropped out of Uni and they wouldn't let me as I was under 25 then.
I went once to the unemployment office after I did my conscription, and eventually (after like 10 minutes) i got the Moderator cut: language out of there and started browse the internet for jobs. Tells something how effective the system is...

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-05-2014 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I went once to the unemployment office after I did my conscription, and eventually (after like 10 minutes) i got the fu*k out of there and started browse the internet for jobs. Tells something how effective the system is...
Seems to be going ok at the moment. I registered as unemployed in February, met with an adviser the next month who arranged for someone to help me find a work experience place (which I didn't need in the end as I found somewhere myself that same day) and they sent me a work offer a couple weeks later for something actually relevant to my previous experiences. So not too bad really so far.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:56 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Still more information:

- In Quebec the minimum wage is around 7 Euros per hour. If you are making minimum wage at 40 hours per week your annual salary is about 13,000 Euros. Your income tax will be roughly 1300 Euros or about 10%. If you have children then you have lots of deductions you can make so your income tax can be reduced considerably from the 1300 Euros I mentioned above.

Also, our sales tax is about 13.5%. It is payable on almost everything except stuff for kids like clothing, and also non-prepared/transformed foods.

Low-income people also get a sales tax rebate. It's not based on what you actually spend but on what on average family spends. For two adults and two kids this can amount to 500 or 600 Euros a year.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Still more information:

- In Quebec the minimum wage is around 7 Euros per hour. If you are making minimum wage at 40 hours per week your annual salary is about 13,000 Euros. Your income tax will be roughly 1300 Euros or about 10%. If you have children then you have lots of deductions you can make so your income tax can be reduced considerably from the 1300 Euros I mentioned above.

Also, our sales tax is about 13.5%. It is payable on almost everything except stuff for kids like clothing, and also non-prepared/transformed foods.

Low-income people also get a sales tax rebate. It's not based on what you actually spend but on what on average family spends. For two adults and two kids this can amount to 500 or 600 Euros a year.
Finland has no minimum wage. The trade unions do that for you. I think the absolute minimum is like 7-7.50€ an hour.

Let's assume that Natsku works for 1300€ full-time (37.5h/week) in her "city" and she has one kid. Her income tax will be 6.5%, and all other taxes 6.05%. She is of course entitled to rent subsidies, and gets the child benefits.

The VAT is a terrifying 24% on general stuff, 14% on food and restaurants, 10% on medicine, magazines and culture.

edit: HA! If I earn 13k a year and I don't have kids, I pay only 5.5% in income tax, as my city is much richer than hers!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Finland has no minimum wage. The trade unions do that for you. I think the absolute minimum is like 7-7.50€ an hour.

Let's assume that Natsku works for 1300€ full-time (37.5h/week) in her "city" and she has one kid. Her income tax will be 6.5%, and all other taxes 6.05%. She is of course entitled to rent subsidies, and gets the child benefits.

The VAT is a terrifying 24% on general stuff, 14% on food and restaurants, 10% on medicine, magazines and culture.

edit: HA! If I earn 13k a year and I don't have kids, I pay only 5.5% in income tax, as my city is much richer than hers!
Is that really what the tax would be like? I thought it would be more.

Cleaners have the lowest minimum wage I think, was 6,50 an hour when I was one.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Is that really what the tax would be like? I thought it would be more.

Cleaners have the lowest minimum wage I think, was 6,50 an hour when I was one.
Yeah yeah, I used the State tax calculator. Yes, cleaners and kiosk workers have the lowest minimum wage. Newspaper dealers have the factual lowest, but when they do like 4 hour shifts the wage/hour is much higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World