Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 04:38 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
mhmm

I'm merely stating an observation and comparison that I see. No need for a hissy fit.
mhmm Your the only one having a hissy fit, you started this thread.

Instead of making generalization you should say Chile and Colombia only, as that is where your experience is limited to not the entire region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 04:43 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think perhaps your experience today was odd. Talk to the locals about it, just don't mention that in the US, blah, blah, blah. I think you may find the locals are just as shocked as you.
The first time I saw this happen I asked my gf about it and she told me that it's not surprising people didn't help.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
One thing I have noticed while being here in Latin America (Colombia and Chile) is that no one helps each other out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
mhmm Your the only one having a hissy fit, you started this thread.

Instead of making generalization you should say Chile and Colombia only, as that is where your experience is limited to not the entire region.
Come on man... I specifically said those two countries. Is it seriously that hard for you to have any common sense?

Old 05-04-2014, 04:47 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We can go all silly here and start google searching all of the various news articles where terrible things have even been perpetrated upon individuals in the U.S. with bystanders ignoring it or even revelling in it and comparing those to events occurring elsewhere. Do we really need to go through all of that nonsense of to and fro?
Yes its fun, why don't you go first

Old 05-04-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

We can go all silly here and start google searching all of the various news articles where terrible things have even been perpetrated upon individuals in the U.S. with bystanders ignoring it or even revelling in it and comparing those to events occurring elsewhere. Do we really need to go through all of that nonsense of to and fro?
I posted here so people could give first hand experiences. Not look up a bunch of articles online.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Come on man... I specifically said those two countries. Is it seriously that hard for you to have any common sense?
Is it really that hard for you to not be so rude and arrogant? The only one with no common sense is you making threads like these. Like Americans are so special.

Quote:
I noticed people would help a little more in India than in Latin America.
Stop making generalizations please. Thank you.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
When i used to witness car accidents in Minnesota literally 5 plus cars would pull over and "help" for the most minor accidents, even though they are just getting in the way.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
When i used to witness car accidents in Minnesota literally 5 plus cars would pull over and "help" for the most minor accidents, even though they are just getting in the way.
I have seen people pull over for others in several countries. I don't think it would be any different here in Canada, Mexico, Guatemala or any other country I have spent time in. About the old lady getting hit and no one helping, that just seems weird. I have a hard time believing some one would not have the heart to stop and help an old lady that just got hit by a car.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Is it really that hard for you to not be so rude and arrogant? The only one with no common sense is you making threads like these. Like Americans are so special.
That's definitely not what I said, simply how you wanted to take it.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:08 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
One thing I have noticed while being here in Latin America (Colombia and Chile) is that no one helps each other out.

Two examples:

I saw a man trying to snatch the bag of a lady, he was doing this in a group of people and they were pulling back and forth for it. He literally did this in the middle of people and everyone just sat there and watched. I was a block away and ran to help, but he took off before I got there. Literally no one helped, I gave all the guys a very dirty look.

Just today, an elderly woman got hit by a dang car. She was laying on the ground in the street and not one person helped out. I was the only person to run into the street to help her out. The other idiots in their car sat there and honked their horn.

These things don't happen in the US. If your car is stuck, people pull over to help you out. If you're short on cash, oftentimes people will offer you money. Outside of the US, I see absolutely none of this.

Is it an American thing, or do people help out like this in other parts of the world like Europe? It kind of makes me sick when I see "men" not help people around them. These are just simply two examples of things I've seen.
O.K. I'll play and to start off on the right foot, here is your post and I've takn the liberty to highlight those portions where you have hinted at the illusion of American exceptionalism.

Firstly things like that and much worse do happen in the U.S. Secondly; you're not likely to see much of people helping people anywhere you are because if their help was effective you wouldn't see the results would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World