Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which countries are top 5 global powers
USA 34 62.96%
China 11 20.37%
Russia 3 5.56%
Germany 1 1.85%
UK 2 3.70%
France 1 1.85%
Japan 2 3.70%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 11:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
Do you understand what 'careful discernment' means?

It doesn't mean following hook line and sinker every nutjob who refuses to follow the inner party doctrine of mainstream dissemination. It means coming to your own conclusions after careful balanced appraisal of information from various different sources.

Warning Will Robinson: Some measure of independent critical thinking required.
I'm just not the type of person who tells people I don't agree with to "unplug from the propaganda machine"
Some people just don't see the USA randomly falling from the face of the earth any time soon... doesn't make them brainwashed its just their view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Advocating 'careful discernment' does not mean 'listen to what I say and disregard everything else'.

It's a call to you to come to your own conclusions after careful balanced appraisal of information from various different sources.
You don't even know how we got to our conclusions, you just randomly said unplug from the propaganda machine (whatever that means) when maybe we already did unplug from the propaganda machine

Old 05-07-2014, 11:30 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
I wonder exactly how many one-eyed Chinese nationalists are users in these forums lol.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:36 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Advocating 'careful appraisal' does not mean 'listen to what I say and disregard everything else'.

It's a call to you to come to your own conclusions after careful balanced evaluation of information from various different sources.
Ok, since you brought it up, instead of lecturing other posters, simply let us see the 5 or more countries that you think will move higher then the United States.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:38 PM

531 posts, read 594,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You don't even know how we got to our conclusions, you just randomly said unplug from the propaganda machine (whatever that means) when maybe we already did unplug from the propaganda machine
That's evidently not the case when it's clear you've copy-pasted the newsfeeds from CNBC/Fox/MSNBC et al regarding things such as employment data.

Even a set of mindless trading algorithms were able to figure out independently that the latest unemployment figures were a sham, though it took them a minute or two.

Obviously they are also 'conspiracy theorists' or 'Chinese nationalists/commies' for refusing to tow the official line, correct?

Last edited by Noggin of Rum; 05-07-2014 at 11:47 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 11:54 PM

872 posts, read 1,385,503 times
Quote:
That's evidently not the case when it's clear you've copy-pasted the newsfeeds from CNBC/Fox/MSNBC et al regarding things such as employment data.

Even a set of mindless trading algorithms were able to figure out independently that the latest unemployment figures were a sham, though it took them a minute or two.

Obviously they are also 'conspiracy theorists' or 'Chinese nationalists/commies' for refusing to tow the official line, correct?
A minor point (your general point being valid), but it actually took the HFTs several hours to retrace the gains post-BLS data.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:46 AM

360 posts, read 982,750 times
US, China, Japan, Germany and UK.

Russia and France are kind of insignificant if you talk about the whole package (i.e. economic, military, soft power, alliances, global perception, etc).

Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:

I don't think anybody copy and pasted anything from CNBC or Fox

Old 05-09-2014, 10:02 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Which countries do you think would be among the top 5 in terms of economic power, political power and military power?

The top 3 is fairly easy.

USA is still No. 1 on all fronts

China is No. 2 for economic power, it is probably tied with Russia in terms of political and military strength. Overall, it is No. 2.

Russia is still powerfully militarily and politically, but is weak economically.

Which countries deserve the 4th and 5th spots?

Germany and Japan are economic powerhouses, but politically and militarily insignificant.
UK and France are the opposite. To me, Japan and France would be in the top 5, but UK and Germany are very close
France and UK... aren't they economic powerhouses?

Old 05-09-2014, 10:55 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
United States is still number one for everything and will be for a very long time. People underestimate China's hostility towards us, but overestimate their power. China is not even as militarily strong as Russia, and there is a big, BIG gap in military power between Russia and the United States. Regarding the economy, China is already starting to slow down while the USA is in recovery. China's military is big but poorly-trained and poorly-equipped. They are surrounded by strong enemy countries (Japan, India, South Korea, and even an alliance of the Southeast Asian nations could prove a formidable enemy for the Chinese). While Russia and China are on good terms, they are still somewhat suspicious of each other and Russia could easily militarily crush China. China's population is also aging and largely unbalanced in terms of sex (more men than women, so less chances to replenish the population). Like Japan in the 80s, it rose, but its fall will come even more suddenly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World