U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 12:02 PM

29,782 posts, read 28,760,377 times

Advertisements

You probably get a lot of Tweets like this too:

"Stuck in f____ Atlanta airport again!!!! Blast you AirTran!!!!"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 12:07 PM

28,669 posts, read 27,880,756 times
Singapore has great climate? Really? REALLY?

Does Dubai's huge number of international visitors include the constant comings and goings of a massive pool of poor laborers?

The little snippets on these things are sometimes ridiculous.

The rankings aren't too bad, but LA at top and Atlanta that high (and above Miami as a city brand?) seems ridiculous. Fantastic omission of Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Osaka from the top 25 as well.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:08 PM

6,811 posts, read 9,260,709 times
No Hong Kong huh.

I've seen enough.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 05-06-2014 at 12:19 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 12:09 PM

14,983 posts, read 10,543,041 times
Atlanta because of MARTA ? ! I don't know anyone that even thinks about Atlanta, let alone plan to go there.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How global is Twitter though? Facebook, yes, but has the entire globe taken to Twitter?
Most of the countries that have a large number of people who have internet access save for the ones that have alternative twitter-like services have a large population of predominantly younger microblog users. My SO was involved with some pretty major US companies trying to get some presence into the Chinese microblogging (weibo) because it's so pervasive. It's funny because 140 characters in Chinese, due to how the language is constructed, is almost a short essay when it comes to semantic density.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:16 PM

Descriptions in this thing are hilarious. Atlanta's amazing mass transit is what gives it a global edge? San Francisco and its constant rain (I think they were thinking Seattle)? Singapore and its great climate (that one's especially crazy)?

No top 25 placement for Tokyo? Pfft. Shanghai or Hong Kong? Miami?

Old 05-06-2014, 12:21 PM

6,811 posts, read 9,260,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Descriptions in this thing are hilarious. Atlanta's amazing mass transit is what gives it a global edge? San Francisco and its constant rain (I think they were thinking Seattle)? Singapore and its great climate (that one's especially crazy)?

No top 25 placement for Tokyo? Pfft. Shanghai or Hong Kong? Miami?
They have Macau, but no Hong Kong. They have some place called Chittagong ranked, that I have never heard of before right this moment but no Hong Kong.

Crazy huh?

Old 05-06-2014, 12:25 PM

8,073 posts, read 12,899,826 times
I don't know why Atlanta's position on the list is so surprising. Hell, just look at this forum. Everyone seems to have an opinion or be an expert on Atlanta, and half of them have never even stepped foot here.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:48 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,965,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Sheesh-so much LA hate in the comments. I guess that would go for most any city chosen as #1 though.
I wonder if LA gets points for any mention of "Hollywood", even if it has nothing to do with the city / neighborhood itself and is more about the movie industry.

LA would probably still be near the top if those don't count because it does have a strong "brand" but I could see it not being number 1, which comes as a bit of a surprise to me.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:03 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,801,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Singapore has great climate? Really? REALLY?

Does Dubai's huge number of international visitors include the constant comings and goings of a massive pool of poor laborers?

The little snippets on these things are sometimes ridiculous.

The rankings aren't too bad, but LA at top and Atlanta that high (and above Miami as a city brand?) seems ridiculous. Fantastic omission of Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Osaka from the top 25 as well.
Osaka does not have a particularly strong brand. Not taking anything away from it because it's a world class city in every way, but most people (esp outside of Asia) don't know much about it. However, the omission of Tokyo, HK and Shanghai does point to serious methodological flaws which the authors would have been well advised to correct before releasing this list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World