Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 03:02 PM

836 posts, read 1,256,163 times

Advertisements

Which US state is more similar to Argentina - Texas or California? And which US state is more similar to Australia - California or Texas? (I would think that, on the whole, Argentina is more similar to Texas and Australia is more similar to California, but there are considerable cross-overs also.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 05:40 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
Australia is probably more like California, but certain aspects of the culture also remind me of Texas (BBQ, Beer, redneck/bogan, etc). Queensland reminds me more of Florida, especially in terms of climate.
Argentina is probably more like Texas, but I don't see it having that same conservative vibe that Texas gives off. However, the ranch culture of Argentina could easily allude to Texas in that regard.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:56 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
How exactly do you draw these comparisons? I'm a little confused, if I were to think of Texas.. Argentina would not come to mind, and if I were to think of California, Australia would not come to mind.

Nothing against any of the places listed, but I just don't really see it.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 PM

Now that I'm thinking of it, Argentina is more or less uniformly like Texas (especially with respect to the cattle ranching culture and reverence towards beef barbeque as well as large areas of warm temperate grasslands), except with respect to population figures (which are more like those of California) and to the lack of a Texas-like conservative vibe.

With Australia, it's more complicated: While some parts of Australia (esp. around Adelaide and Perth) are like California with regard to vegetation, agriculture, etc., some other parts (esp. the near interior in the east) are like Texas, yet some other parts (the populated southeast - like Melbourne) are like perhaps both Texas and California, and coastal Queensland (and coastal New South Wales north of Sydney) is like Florida. And Australians at least have the reputation of having Californian-like personalities (e.g. "no worries").

Does that sound more or less fair?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:50 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
why would argentina be like texas? that so weird

Old 11-20-2014, 12:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
why would argentina be like texas? that so weird
Really weird. They must be thinking of beef? There is NO Buenos Aries in Texas.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:05 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
Cattle/beef and cowboy/gaucho culture are the only real links I see between Argentina and Texas.

I would say, overall, Texas and Australia have more in common as both have large land masses, with rednecky rural areas, and strong dynamic liberal cities. Sydney has no match in Texas though in terms of global influence. Melbourne perhaps like Austin? Though I've heard Melbourne is more like a cross of LA and San Diego, with a quality of life similar to Vancouver, BC.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Cattle/beef and cowboy/gaucho culture are the only real links I see between Argentina and Texas.
Also that they each think of themselves as really big in many ways. And Buenos Aires, so far as I know, is a socially liberal city (though without as much modern and dynamic economic development).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World