Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs SF
London 96 70.59%
San Francisco 40 29.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:03 PM

131 posts, read 168,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Bradford is home to 'Dynamo magician impossible' and I am sorry but I don't believe San Fransico has a magician that can hold a candle to him, There again San Fransico does have a lot of world famous things itself like..........erm, Sydney Harbour Bridge.
You do realize some of the biggest brands in the world come from the bay area?
Google
Twitter
Facebook
Apple
...I can guarantee you use one of these brands
PS Its the golden gate bridge

Old 05-14-2014, 03:06 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Correct, London does not really compare to San Francisco when it comes to overall quality of life. I concur.
Actually, the quality of life seems broadly comparable to me - both cities are overpriced, full of homeless junkies and densely populated.

But anyway - you are certainly not qualified to comment on London or how 'upscale' it is (the pretention that oozes from that particular word is a little too much for me to stomach) - you are basing your assumptions of GDP per capita - lol. Only a loser on City Data would try to make out a city isn't upscale because GDP per capita says it isn't.

GDP per capita is also influenced by the presence of large multinational companies - which is also the reason why Ireland has such a high GDP per capita, even though it isn't as wealthy as those numbers would indicate.

You can continue to believe that San Francisco is a better city than London or New York, on the basis of GDP per capita -- if that's what you want to do. And you can continue to believe that SF is even remotely comparable to London in any way -- at all. Don't get angry when people, understandably, tell you otherwise.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 05-14-2014 at 03:24 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 03:06 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Bradford is home to 'Dynamo magician impossible' and I am sorry but I don't believe San Fransico has a magician that can hold a candle to him, There again San Fransico does have a lot of world famous things itself like..........erm, Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Yeah, speaking of which:

The British government commissioned this study which revealed that the Golden Gate Bridge is the most easily recognizable attraction in the US.

Leading World Attractions, 2005

Rank/ Attraction/ City/ Awarness by Respondents
1 Eiffel Tower/ Paris/ 78.96%
2 Golden Gate Bridge/ San Francisco/ 74.47%
3 White House/ Washington DC/ 66.47%
4 Opera House/ Sydney/ 62.95%
5 Pyramids/ Cairo/ 61.46%
6 Statue of Liberty/ New York/ 54.23%
7 Edinburgh Castle/ Edinburgh/ 53.30%
8 Red Square/ Moscow/ 51.83%
9 Cristo Redentor/ Rio de Janeiro 50.59%
10 Big Ben/ London/ 46.08%
11 Colosseum/ Rome/ 44.49%
12 CN Tower/ Toronto/ 35.53%
13 Kremlin/ Moscow/ 35.02%
14 Hollywood/ Los Angeles/ 31.69%

http://www.publications.parliament.u...34/6061317.htm

So yeah.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:08 PM

131 posts, read 168,322 times
San Francisco VS London
Museums-London
Culture-London
History-London
Wealth-SF
Diversity-SF
Weather-SF
Transportation-London, although I would prefer SF with more access, and reliability
Schools-SF
Universities-London
Traffic-London
Crime-London
Health-SF
Liberal-SF(more so)
Cheaper-SF
Shopping-SF
Dinning-London

Rather live in? SF

Old 05-14-2014, 03:23 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergodela View Post
You do realize some of the biggest brands in the world come from the bay area?
Google
Twitter
Facebook
Apple
...I can guarantee you use one of these brands
PS Its the golden gate bridge
That's all very well but there is nothing actually in San Fransico itself is there? No decent pubs, no world class museums, no world class restaurants, no decent nightclubs, no sport, hell even Bradford has a football team in the English 2nd division, London has 14 (yes fourteen) professional football clubs six of which are in the Premier league!! (well until Fulham went down anyway), as far as Im aware there is no team from San fransisco in the Premier league. What do people do there for lesuire? Hang around on Facebook wishing they lived somewhere were they could live a 'real' life? I bet there isn't one thing in San Fransisco I could have/do that I couldn't have/do in London only better!

Old 05-14-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
That's all very well but there is nothing actually in San Fransico itself is there? No decent pubs, no world class museums, no world class restaurants, no decent nightclubs, no sport, hell even Bradford has a football team in the English 2nd division, London has 14 (yes fourteen) professional football clubs six of which are in the Premier league!! (well until Fulham went down anyway), as far as Im aware there is no team from San fransisco in the Premier league. What do people do there for lesuire? Hang around on Facebook wishing they lived somewhere were they could live a 'real' life? I bet there isn't one thing in San Fransisco I could have/do that I couldn't have/do in London only better!
yeah, this is the post by someone whose never left Bradford or where ever the heck they live.

In many ways, London is kind of a let down for someone from SF, quite frankly. Especially in the food department. The word 'overrated' really comes to mind once again.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
yeah, this is the post by someone whose never left Bradford or where ever the heck they live.

In many ways, London is kind of a let down for someone from SF, quite frankly. Especially in the food department. The word 'overrated' really comes to mind once again.
London has more Michelin starred restaurants this Paris, try looking it up. It also has world class venues of entertainment, if your biggest selling 'point' is a 'bridge' then I really don't know what to say!

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-15-2014 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Trolling

Old 05-14-2014, 03:52 PM

531 posts, read 594,619 times
Quote:
Be honest. Have you actually ever set foot in London? When and where did you visit?

Old 05-14-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
London has more Michelin starred restaurants this Paris, try looking it up. It also has world class venues of entertainment, if your biggest selling 'point' is a 'bridge' then I really don't know what to say!
Well that's funny cause San Francisco scores higher than London in Travel + Leisure's 2013 survey of cities.

San Francisco 87.76
New York 87.71
London 85.43
2013 World's Best Cities | Travel + Leisure

I guess our one bridge is more meaningful than everything London has to more people. Interesting.

In fact, I would have thought London's scpre would have been lower honestly.

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-15-2014 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to an edited post

Old 05-14-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Well that's funny cause San Francisco scores higher than London in Travel + Leisure's 2013 survey of cities.

San Francisco 87.76
New York 87.71
London 85.43

I guess our one bridge is more meaningful than everything London has to more people. Interesting.

In fact, I would have thought London's scpre would have been lower honestly.
London has the West End what does San Fransisco have to match it? London has FAR more Michelin starred restaurants than San Fransisco, London pubs are world famous, is there anything like the British Museum in San Fransisco? London has several world class museums (and all of them free) London has world famous parks and 2000 years of history which gives it proper tourist attractions like The Tower of London (more than 'a bridge'), London attracts more tourists than any other city on the planet, it has world famous night clubs, music venues and sports venues, Wimbledon, Wembley, Lords. London has world famous beautiful cathedrals and churches, St Paul's, Westminster Abbey, it has a transport system San Fransisco could only dream about, London is the financial capital of the world and it is on the doorstep of Europe, London is home to the world biggest carnival outside Brazil (Notting Hill Carnival), London is the worlds most diverse city, with more than 200 languages spoken, I could go on and on if it wasn't nearly midnight here, I'm sorry but compare New York, Rome, Paris, LA, Tokyo or Sydney to London yes but San Fransisco! lol

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-15-2014 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Off topic for thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World