Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs SF
London 96 70.59%
San Francisco 40 29.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 03:31 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Coming from the US and having driven most of my time in around the area, London sort of felt small to me.
Well, Spotila at SSP/SSC put together these incredible maps of urbanized areas around the world and the results confirm what I already believed to be true.

Scaled maps of London and the Bay. Yellow represents built up area.

AN IMAGE FROM MY FLICKR ACCOUNT.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:38 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Any LDN booster: You fool! London is dripping in diamonds and is an ALPHA++++++++++++++++ city. Mods, please close the thread before 18Montclair gets the last word. (walks off huffing and puffing)

LOL
Actually London is dripping in diamonds, of course they acquired this from their former colonies (South Africa and India), but they are indeed dripping in diamonds.

Diamonds | Natural History Museum

Be sure to check it out when you're in the United Kingdom next. I know that London is your favorite city in the world, deep down, aside from maybe Oakland, I don't think you would pick anywhere else over London.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:50 PM

531 posts, read 594,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
I personally think Sydney is much nicer than SF.

But still it's a far more reasonable comparison than pitting SF against a city of the stature of London.
Nicer weather, maybe. Also probably much cleaner with far fewer homeless. San Francisco probably has the slight edge in vibrancy and international standing. But I digress.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Actually London is dripping in diamonds, of course they acquired this from their former colonies, but they are indeed dripping in diamonds.

Be sure to check it out when you're in the United Kingdom next. I know that London is your favorite city in the world, deep down, aside from Oakland, I don't think you would pick anywhere else over London.
LOL

Well diamonds might be forever and more stable than stock options but usually, slave labor of brown people in the third world crawling in hot, damp, scary crevices often thousands of feet underground isn't required for procuring what we drip in out in Silicon Valley.

But speaking of natural resources, SF was *the* preeminent city of the biggest gold rush in US history, that was the singular event that made SF perhaps the only city in the world that became a global destination literally overnight. It put the West Coast permanently on the map and was the first major catalyst for movement west of the Rockies.

And the Gold Rush is how San Francisco gained the permanent nickname 'The City', it was the only real urban environment for 1,000 miles in any direction at that time.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Actually London is dripping in diamonds, of course they acquired this from their former colonies (South Africa and India), but they are indeed dripping in diamonds.

Be sure to check it out when you're in the United Kingdom next. I know that London is your favorite city in the world, deep down, aside from maybe Oakland, I don't think you would pick anywhere else over London.
She's enjoying the dazzling sophistication of the Oakland high life. Haha.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:57 PM
SE9

219 posts, read 348,561 times
London eclipses San Francisco in a multitude of factors, the comparison is unfair because SF is a good city itself.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:00 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
LOL

Well diamonds might be forever and more stable than stock options but usually, slave labor of brown people in the third world crawling in hot, damp, scary crevices often thousands of feet underground isn't required for procuring what we drip in out in Silicon Valley.

But speaking of natural resources, SF was *the* preeminent city of the biggest gold rush in US history, that was the singular event that made SF perhaps the only city in the world that became a global destination literally overnight. It put the West Coast permanently on the map and was the first major catalyst for movement west of the Rockies.
What do you know about the third world? You've lived your whole life in places that actually have meaning, places like the United States. The third world is a vile place, a place where majority of the human life, is still less than human.

I used to live in the third world once, for two years when we moved from Chicago to what was known as Bombay at the time. We left, after I severely damaged my right knee cap in the 1993 Bombay Bombings (thankfully it recovered), we were at the platform at a train station when bombs started going off, my mother picked me up and started running and wasn't paying attention when a bomb went off and the area filled with concrete like smoke and haze, she collided with a platform wall and it scraped my knee. The country was so third world that unlike America when you get out of the building there is a responsive unit to care for the injured with ambulances and stretchers, not the case there. My mother had to hold the cut for over three hours in the traffic while my father got an auto-Riksha for us to get to a hospital that wasn't jammed. Bombs were going off in every direction, people were getting scraped and injured, running and panic, people dying right before your eyes. The ringing in the ears from the loud explosions, the eyes scratching and itching from the cinder block dust spread all about. There's something inhumane about bombs going off from under the platform. There is something even more inhumane about people wearing bomb vests to kill others in the name of terrorism.

Consequently when I healed, we moved out of the third world. They changed the name of the city from Bombay to Mumbai afterwards, to differentiate the sad event from the city's name and bring it back to what it was called before the Britishers coined the city "Bombay".

My point is, I actually think India at the time would have been better off if it was still a British colony. The country is an inhumane place, led by politicians (until just last week) who are self-serving hoarding pigs.

The place is a cesspool, has zero redeeming qualities, and in every way in my opinion is worse off than when it was British India. Perhaps, I just have a lot of anger for the place? My mother went to India (Delhi) this March to attend a wedding, two months ago, she came back and was diagnosed with Chickengunya, which she got from a mosquito bite in the filthy Delhi. She came back home in a wheelchair, unable to walk, was that way for the last two months before we could get medication imported from overseas (United States has no Chickengunya tests or vaccinations), and now she can finally walk again. Hard to imagine a life where a simple mosquito bite makes you a cripple, right? It's called the hellhole of the third world.

On the other hand London's a great city, no where is devoid of terrible history, but I think the place has had a global impact in such a significant way though.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 05-24-2014 at 04:10 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
She's enjoying the dazzling sophistication of the Oakland high life. Haha.
Darling, in this goody-goody neighborhood of millionaires-with-a-conscience I call home, it's social suicide and quite scandalous to be too demonstrative of one's wealth. I almost don't fit in because I LOVE to dress up and I LOVE to shop and I LOVE to be ostentatious sometimes(living in LA sort of brought that out in me) but in the socially aware, humanist, enlightened East Bay Hills--NO.

The status symbols here are like doctorate degrees(my neighbors are always telling me that my Master's degree is good but I can do better), Tesla Model S', doing work in the third world helping the poor for at least a year, preferably more. Stuff like that. zzzzzzz

That's actually the case for most of the wealthy areas of the Inner Bay. Less is definitely more here.

I think only areas where people aren't shunned for flaunting their wealth is within the City of SF itself(Pacific Heights, Presidio Heights, Sea Cliff, Russian Hill, Telegraph Hill, Nob Hill, Marina)

However I am pleased to report that I notice quite a bit more Bentleys and Ferraris in Oakland. LOL

Old 05-24-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Darling, in this goody-goody neighborhood of millionaires-with-a-conscience I call home, it's social suicide and quite scandalous to be too demonstrative of one's wealth. I almost don't fit in because I LOVE to dress up and I LOVE to shop and I LOVE to be ostentatious sometimes(living in LA sort of brought that out in me) but in the socially aware, humanist, enlightened East Bay Hills--NO.

The status symbols here are like doctorate degrees(my neighbors are always telling me that my Master's degree is good but I can do better), Tesla Model S', doing work in the third world helping the poor for at least a year, preferably more. Stuff like that. zzzzzzz

That's actually the case for most of the wealthy areas of the Inner Bay. Less is definitely more here.

I think only areas where people aren't shunned for flaunting their wealth is within the City of SF itself(Pacific Heights, Presidio Heights, Sea Cliff, Russian Hill, Telegraph Hill, Nob Hill, Marina)

However I am pleased to report that I notice quite a bit more Bentleys and Ferraris in Oakland. LOL
You've been through graduate school and you still struggle with elementary grammar? Your story here is about as convincing as your claim that you once lived the high life in Knightsbridge (when it's patently obvious you've never stepped a foot inside London during your entire adult life).

Old 05-24-2014, 04:37 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:

Until San Fransisco is an alpha ++ city (like London) there is no point doing a comparison, I wanted you to compare San Fransisco to a UK city more on its level (Bradford) but you seem to just 'shy away' from that one.

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-25-2014 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: Rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World