Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs SF
London 96 70.59%
San Francisco 40 29.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:11 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,802,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This music video has a selection of London housing styles, and starts with the interior of a typical older London home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwIe_sjKeAY
The Thatcher years working class homes are hardly the norm!

Well they are where I live. And that's why we want independence

Old 05-27-2014, 05:26 PM
SE9

219 posts, read 345,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
One thing I love about cities like London and SF is that there are always opportunities to dress up or let loose, no matter what your scene is
No doubt, this city never misses the chance to let its hair down. A brief selection:

Pillow Fight Day:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8383/8...562c2521_b.jpg

West End VIP Day:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3121/2...b7ae1ecb_b.jpg

St Patrick's Day

Festival of Colour:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1280307/th...S-facebook.jpg

Notting Hill Carnival:

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1221/1...47a8221d_b.jpg

London Pride Parade:

Misc. National Celebration:

Chinese New Year:

Regent Street Festival:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8299/...5e947b3a_b.jpg

New Years Day:

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-28-2014 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 05-27-2014, 05:28 PM

374 posts, read 452,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
Yes living in the most diverse county in the world in the most diverse city of the world is devoid of culture...
Living in the most diverse place in the world= culture

And you don't even win in that game either, here comes some more boring stats from Forbes:

America’s Most Diverse Metros
#
U.S. Metro % population in largest group:

San Jose, CA
35%
New York, NY-NJ
39%
Oakland, CA
40%
Houston, TX
40%
Honolulu, HI
43%
Fort Lauderdale, FL
44%
Orange County, CA
44%
Memphis, TN-MS-AR
46%
San Francisco, CA
46%
Albuquerque, NM
47%
A lower percentage of population in the largest group means greater diversity. Among 100 largest metros.

I question why they combined NY with NJ, unless it was regional (which is inconsistent since San Jose, Oakland, and SF are in the same heavily connected region) but nonetheless, nice try. Three cities in the Bay Area, San Jose being the most diverse, following NY is Oakland. So, perhaps you can elaborate further or find new criteria for 'culture' (then explain how it relates to diversity so heavily).

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-28-2014 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 05-27-2014, 05:49 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,238,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
The Thatcher years working class homes are hardly the norm!

Well they are where I live. And that's why we want independence
I would hardly say that a pop video from the early 80's represents the interior of a working class British home! Even then it would have looked ridiculously outdated and that was probably the point of the video!

Cool pics of both cities from the rest of you though. Keep 'em coming

Old 05-27-2014, 07:21 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,759,778 times
San Francisco, I suppose.

I visited it back in 2006 and it was a pretty decent city.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:53 PM

420 posts, read 820,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticDragonfly View Post
Living in the most diverse place in the world= culture

You see issue with this correlation or are you just as simpleminded as you appear? And you don't even win in that game either, here comes some more boring stats from Forbes:

America’s Most Diverse Metros
#
U.S. Metro % population in largest group:

San Jose, CA
35%
New York, NY-NJ
39%
Oakland, CA
40%
Houston, TX
40%
Honolulu, HI
43%
Fort Lauderdale, FL
44%
Orange County, CA
44%
Memphis, TN-MS-AR
46%
San Francisco, CA
46%
Albuquerque, NM
47%
A lower percentage of population in the largest group means greater diversity. Among 100 largest metros.

I question why they combined NY with NJ, unless it was regional (which is inconsistent since San Jose, Oakland, and SF are in the same heavily connected region) but nonetheless, nice try. Three cities in the Bay Area, San Jose being the most diverse, following NY is Oakland. So, perhaps you can elaborate further or find new criteria for 'culture' (then explain how it relates to diversity so heavily).
You keep pulling up these hideously overgeneralizing statistics like "race" and don't understand what it means and the diversity within each "race." I do not care if they say this much "race" is a certain percent of the population. Within each race are tons of different ethnicities.

You guys keep pulling some moronic statistics that don't even use a proper metric for major components of diversity (ethnicity, religious affiliation, languages spoken, etc.).

Old 05-27-2014, 08:42 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
You keep pulling up these hideously overgeneralizing statistics like "race" and don't understand what it means and the diversity within each "race." I do not care if they say this much "race" is a certain percent of the population. Within each race are tons of different ethnicities.

You guys keep pulling some moronic statistics that don't even use a proper metric for major components of diversity (ethnicity, religious affiliation, languages spoken, etc.).
Oh, okay(filing my nails)

Anyhow, you just bring out the cookier-cutter in me, precious.

Census Tract 4432 in Alameda County is the Vineyards-Avalon Neighborhood of Fremont, about 40 miles SE of Downtown SF, is 68% Asian. The wealthiest Predominantly Asian neighborhood in the United States.

All pics from MY FLICKR ACCT:

-

I'm just saying. As a person of color who knows what this country is like(great btw, I consider myself and my family blessed to be here)I know that sometimes we congregate in poorer inner city neighborhoods as we establish ourselves in this country, but it's amazing how the Bay Area has such a high number of visibly very affluent racial minorities who have actually created their own little Beverly Hills' all over the Bay. NYC has a lot of wealthy minorities btw, I know that. But the Bay I feel takes it to another level. Minorities are the majority of the Bay Area's population and they are highly integrated up down the entire Metro.

Is life perfect for all minorities here? No, but that isn't the case for all minorities or all whites for that matter anywhere. But whenever I travel somewhere I notice a difference, even if its slight vs. places like NY or London or LA. I feel more empowered here.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:48 PM

420 posts, read 820,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh, okay(filing my nails)

Anyhow, you just bring out the cookier-cutter in me, precious.

Census Tract 4432 in Alameda County is the Vineyards-Avalon Neighborhood of Fremont, about 40 miles SE of Downtown SF, is 68% Asian. The wealthiest Predominantly Asian neighborhood in the United States.

All pics from MY FLICKR ACCT:

-

I'm just saying. As a person of color who knows what this country is like(great btw, I consider myself and my family blessed to be here)I know that sometimes we congregate in poorer inner city neighborhoods as we establish ourselves in this country, but it's amazing how the Bay Area has such a high number of visibly very affluent racial minorities who have actually created their own little Beverly Hills' all over the Bay. NYC has a lot of wealthy minorities btw, I know that. But the Bay I feel takes it to another level. Minorities are the majority of the Bay Area's population and they are highly integrated up down the entire Metro.

Is life perfect for all minorities here? No, but that isn't the case for all minorities or all whites for that matter anywhere. But whenever I travel somewhere I notice a difference, even if its slight vs. places like NY or London or LA. I feel more empowered here.
I understand what you are saying. Yes, it seems that it is more likely to see a wealthy minority enclave in SF, but this ties back into the notion of less integrated and more segragated communities. NYC and London also have ethnic enclaves with rich and poor people, but the differences don't seem to be as stark as how you portray the idea of ethnicity, race, and socioeconomic status in SF. For example in Flushing, Queens, there are Asians of all backgrounds (many poor, many middle-class, and a fair amount of wealthy people too), but also many people of different backgrounds like Irish, Greek, Italian, etc. In SF it seems so much more apparent that you can tell when a neighborhood is one background because they are so spread out, gated communities, lawns, private homes, etc. but in a bustling city like London and NYC, people move in and out of neighborhoods seamlessly that they become truly integrated. Even in areas with large African American and Latino populations like Harlem, Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, all despite having a majority background, people constantly move into these areas of all backgrounds and people live side by side. Though there are problems with this integration like increased rents pushing old residents out, there are few communities that someone can just retreat into because the notion of a walkable, congested city simply does not allow for the spacious ethnic enclaves that you're showing from the SF metro area.

From everything you're saying, SF ethnic enclaves are extremely insulated which is the opposite of the characteristically integrated populations of SF and NYC.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:30 AM

47 posts, read 65,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticDragonfly View Post
In todays world where technology is growing exponentially, do you really thing more professional foreigners want to go to London over San Francisco?
Yes.

Swedish branding company, Universum surveyed over 4,000 students around the world between October 2012 and January 2013 to find their most desired city to live post-education. Their average age was 23.7 years and their most common fields of study were business(32%), engineering (20%), humanities(17%) and natural sciences (12%).

Most Desirable Cities

1. New York
2. London
3. Sydney
3. Paris
3. San Francisco

Top places the world's students want to live and work - May. 1, 2013

Why would you think otherwise? Only, what 9% of SF's workforce is in high tech? Big banking pays far more than tech if you think these students are judging the cities based on industry, which they aren't. Most people want nothing to do with tech or banking in the real world.

SF can't win in a popularity contest with London. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by duke of windsor; 05-28-2014 at 12:38 AM..

Old 05-28-2014, 01:21 AM

374 posts, read 452,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke of windsor View Post
Yes.

Swedish branding company, Universum surveyed over 4,000 students around the world between October 2012 and January 2013 to find their most desired city to live post-education. Their average age was 23.7 years and their most common fields of study were business(32%), engineering (20%), humanities(17%) and natural sciences (12%).

Most Desirable Cities

1. New York
2. London
3. Sydney
3. Paris
3. San Francisco

Top places the world's students want to live and work - May. 1, 2013

Why would you think otherwise? Only, what 9% of SF's workforce is in high tech? Big banking pays far more than tech if you think these students are judging the cities based on industry, which they aren't. Most people want nothing to do with tech or banking in the real world.

SF can't win in a popularity contest with London. And there is nothing wrong with that.
So San Francisco tied with Sydney and Paris, in a survey asking people who were primarily in the field of business and education, based on a question about 'where' they wanted to live, not 'what city would best suit their careers'? That's pretty impressive considering just 40 years ago SF was just another finance metro.
As for the 'most students want nothing to do with tech or banking' comment, that's becoming less and less true. I'm curious to see more in-depth specifics of this survey, especially considering who they're surveying and what the confidence is in blanket generalizing. Nonetheless, yes 10% of SF is a tech workforce, but more than 25% of the South Bay is in the tech industry, for example. That 9% in SF counts more or less commuters who don't live locally in Silicon Valley.
London is more well-known than San Francisco, but to even pretend like London (or England as a whole) is at the same pace as the Bay Area's economy is just plain ignorant. The GDP doesn't indicate this, nor does the density of tech workers and immigration from professional jobs (primarily from East and South Asia) to San Francisco. San Francisco and the Bay Area dominate modern technology (the thing you're using) and will continue as tech grows rapidly.
You can argue London has more history and face (currently), but economically speaking it's simply not the case, the global leader of technology does overpower the financial leader of Europe. Especially, if that global leader of technology is in the United States. And this has been explained like fifteen times, you're really going in circles here.

TL;DR? Social mobility in San Francisco is stronger than it is in London, which makes it attractive for 21st century workers--especially in tech. That's a fact. Look at incomes/GDP, look at entrepreneurs, look at unemployment rates. This has been explained 15+ times.

Last edited by GalacticDragonfly; 05-28-2014 at 01:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World