Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs SF
London 96 70.59%
San Francisco 40 29.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 01:45 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Oh dear, this is a really serious concern:
London Air Is Worse Than Beijing's Due to Diesel Car Emissions : Life : Auto World News

London smog leaves babies in buggies 'vulnerable' to pollution, minister warns - London - News - London Evening Standard

Whereas SF only worries about smog during rare heat waves, London appears to have issues with smog like, all the time.

At least now I know to pack a mask that I can wear around town the next time I'm in London.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:52 PM
SE9

219 posts, read 348,462 times
Back to reality, smog events are extremely rare in London, dependent on weather patterns that don't generally occur over the south east of England.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:54 PM
SE9

219 posts, read 348,462 times
A rundown of London's extremely impressive transport options, all within the city limits:

Buses | TfL Bus Network

Trams | London Tramlink

Light Rail | DLR

Metro Rail | London Underground

Commuter Rail | London Overground and National Rail

High Speed Rail | Eurostar and Southeastern

Public Cycle Hire | Barclays Cycle Hire

Cable Car | Emirates Air Line

Taxi | Black Cab Network

Boat | Thames Clipper

Old 06-13-2014, 02:11 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Actually, this is way more interesting: http://www.marketplace.org/sites/def.../stamenmap.gif

And that's just from the City to the Valley. There are tons more corporate bus shuttles from the East Bay to the Valley as well.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:38 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually, this is way more interesting: http://www.marketplace.org/sites/def.../stamenmap.gif

And that's just from the City to the Valley. There are tons more corporate bus shuttles from the East Bay to the Valley as well.
Right. A map of bus lines delineated by corporations is much more compelling than the entire breadth and depth of London's innumerable transit options. Pffft.

Stick with trolley cars. They're quaint, unique and over-priced, much like San Francisco itself.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:12 PM

354 posts, read 681,868 times
Quote:

What is so interesting about this? The fact that it creates further segregation in the city?

It is interesting though your idea of what makes a good city is almost completely opposite of anyones else, as reflected on this very poll.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:22 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Yawns. London is more expensive than SF sweetie.

The COL-to-income comparison favors SF by a mile.
Yea, and the destitute of SF and Oakland are so much more screwed in pretty much every way. Wonderful homicide rates and incredibly visible population of homeless who need medical and psychological care. Yawn is pretty much the reaction of the Bay Area so far, so that was pretty expected.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:30 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
For a very large city London did extremely well on the Mercer List.

San Francisco is not London, and is not even comparable to London to be honest.

London

Transport in London

Tube and Rail - Transport for London

San Francisco

Transportation in the San Francisco Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Why would SF be comparable? It's not an actual metropolis in the same sense that London is.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:46 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
At least 5% of the reason I voted London is because Jaydee Stone is there. Her looks combined with that accent is simply intoxicating.

How I Straighten My Curly Hair: Tutorial, Products & Tips | Jaydee Stone - YouTube

3 Ways To Wear: The Slip Dress Lookbook | Jaydee Stone - YouTube

The other 95% has to do with art, culture, history and all that jazz.
I thought you were gonna say the other 95% was that a certain someone is from the Bay Area. H/she can singlehandedly repel someone from ever wanting to visit San Francisco

Old 06-13-2014, 08:14 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,612 times
Yawn at all the "per capita average" stats that add little relevance to the thread. And the question asked is which do you prefer if cost was not a consideration. Dont know about the rest of you, but if money was no object im hightailing it to London. Why waste my time in SF? SF is great, and i would have no problems living there, but London just offers so much more, especially if i had unlimited funds. Oakland has the high average income for African Americans? Who cares, put me in the one of the cultural centers of Europe for Music, Fashion and Media. SF being a technology center is nice and all, but how does that translate to something that gives SF an edge? High housing prices, Technology Campuses in Silicon Valley, Google buses?? Wow mind blown!!! Bay area has racial diversity and geographical diversity? Thats nice, I'll take the few hour train ride from France, and quick flights to other countries in Europe, Scandanavia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World