Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:24 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

For instance, we see a lot of South Asians, some Africans and Asians and West Indians in the UK, West Africans, North Africans, even some Vietnamese in France.etc. Also Australians and some Hong Kong people in the UK too. Mainly these two, really, but I find the phenomenon interesting. Also just to visit...I think many Indians, East Africans, Malaysians, Singaporeans, Hong Kongers, and Australians, Kiwis, South Africans of course sort of see the UK as, in some way, a cultural 'motherland', even if they have mixed or negative feelings about it. Like my mother did Cambridge exams, and was taught in English, as was my father, who lived and worked in London as did my auntie. I think because of cultural influence and the English language a lot of English speakers in the Commonwealth have that connection to the UK, with many making the pilgrimage there. It seems people in parts of Africa, Quebec, Indochina see Paris and France that way, instead of London and the UK, would that be fairly accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 06:37 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,401 times
Well, i visited London once , was ok not not fascinated by it...

So to answer, no i do not aspire to migrate to UK..

My parents have not visited UK so far, my mum seems to have no feelings about it, my dad does hope to visit it someday though

Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Except for people in the entertainment industry, France is not seen as a migration destination in Quebec. It's more the other way around - people from France tend to migrate to Quebec a lot more these days.

According to figures I could find the number of people from Quebec in France (France has eight times our population) is less than 20,000. Depending on who you talk to the number of people from France in Quebec is between 150,000 and 200,000. In Montreal alone there are about 100,000 people born in France living there.

That said, France does retain a bit of a motherland mystique among quite a few people in Quebec, especially in the chattering classes. But it's more seen as a place to visit (fairly frequently it is true) or perhaps to study for a short time, than a place to move to permanently.

Even among the Quebec artists who have become stars in France, very few of them have moved there permanently.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Not that interested in checking out France or the UK. I would say those are actually the least appealing of European countries to me. If I chose, I would see France first. Particularly the west coast.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:43 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
I should add, as an Australian, it was a peculiar feeling to go halfway around the world, to Buckingham Palace, and think, 'this is where our head of state lives!' lol

It brought home that it's really time we become a Republic. The connection with always be there, but it was a bit ridiculous.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:55 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
I haven't been to Spain yet, but I don't feel any desire to move there

Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,877 times
Mexicans don't emigrate to Spain. Well, maybe students and well to do people -but those go anywhere they fancy- I'm sure there are more Spaniards in Mexico than viceversa.

Again, who'd move to Spain when you have the richest country in the world, just across the fence.

I've heard that Dominicans and South Americans are found in good numbers there. Since I've never set foot in Spain I cannot confirm it.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:48 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
France and the UK interest me. My partner and I have discussed the possibility of settling in the UK someday, but haven't discussed France. France is a cool place to visit, but I don't think I'd ever choose to settle there.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:56 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
This colonial did migrate to the former coloniser , (The fact the I hold a UK passport makes it real easy for me). After living their for a few years I would say at this stage of my life I have no interest in living in the UK at all. It might be OK as a retirement destination.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:11 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Well, i visited London once , was ok not not fascinated by it...

So to answer, no i do not aspire to migrate to UK..

My parents have not visited UK so far, my mum seems to have no feelings about it, my dad does hope to visit it someday though
But Singapore is very different to the UK anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World