Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 04:22 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
There are basically two variants:

- at restaurants: usually not greasy at all since only a couple of slices of fresh mozarella are used. Definitely not thought of as junk food.
- at Kebab shops (3am on a weekend): Ah, the good old corn and ham combo. Disgustingly greasy and already sitting there for a couple of hours. Junk food at its best.
Exactly the same here. Restaurant pizza is usually of quite high quality with more greens and scarce with meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 05:14 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
Lots of people love it, especially young people, and pizza offers plenty of food combinations so it can be delicious for too many people.
But it is considered junk and greasy food far from healthy or posh, sometimes overrated.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:16 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Simply as fast food!

Old 05-14-2014, 06:09 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Exactly the same here. Restaurant pizza is usually of quite high quality with more greens and scarce with meat.
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=60.4...,3.87&t=m&z=11

In loving memory. Not.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:16 AM

545 posts, read 866,574 times
Most pizza deliveries are junk food. And Domino's is the worst of the worst.. But once in a while people go to real Italian restaurants or some American pizzerias selling pizzas with uncommon stuff on it.
I know some people who command Pizza Hut to solve their hungover. It works quite well, but then you sweat oil.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:48 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
In NYC and environs, it is close to religion. Actually, it is informal, but held to a very high standard and people are devoted to their favorite parlors.

In Albuquerque, where I live now, it is largely fast food. Twenty years ago when I started university here, I remember being in a 'get to know you' circle of local students, and the question, "what is your favorite pizza?" came up. Many of the answers were actually brands of frozen supermarket pizza. Being a New Yorker, I was appalled. These days, there are a few pizzerias in Albuquerque attempting New York and Neapolitan styles with varying levels of success.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:15 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In NYC and environs, it is close to religion. Actually, it is informal, but held to a very high standard and people are devoted to their favorite parlors.
I haven't quite figured out why New York-style pizza is so special? To me, it just looks like a regular Italian pizza with some type of different cheese (doesn't look like mozarella?) and without basil.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:57 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times
We eat it maybe twice or thrice a month.
It's not considered junk food if cooked by an Italian (obviously there can be awful pizzas but not "junk food", also considering that generally food's quality in Italy is pretty high) and it tends to border on "junk food" if cooked by someone else like in Kebab or other international restaurant.
Obviously it's a wide generalization.
Lately, more than normal pizza, I do prefer to eat "pizza al trancio" which basically are small square-shaped pieces of pizza, usually margherita or with some ham (the best of the best is potato+ham but it's pretty expensive).

Old 05-14-2014, 12:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Here in Vancouver it runs the gamut and has changed over the years.
Generally the pizza you order over the phone is the typical North American style pizza's. Dipping Sauce? What's with that?LOL
Then you have your frozen pizza's. Varying quality from bad to actually quite good. Some made by big corps some not.
If I buy a frozen one for those lazy cooking days, I buy Mccain since they seem not to have all the chemicals that say Delissio's has. Current fave is

Parisian

Then you have pizza restaurants. The sit down kind that again vary from being like the delivery ones and then ones that are actually what you find in Italy. Current fave

Nicli Antica Pizzeria

At the bottom of the heap, though are those " pizza by the slice " that seem to survive on the bar crowd stumbling home.

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-14-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 12:12 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Junk food. I eat it only a few times a year, if that.

Places like Pizza Express offer pizza that isn't greasy and disgusting, though - significantly less cheese, more veg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World