Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:26 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. Are either by the slice. That's the usual where I'm from, at least as a sit in option.]
The first place does not sell by the slice. The second one does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 11:08 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I haven't quite figured out why New York-style pizza is so special? To me, it just looks like a regular Italian pizza with some type of different cheese (doesn't look like mozarella?) and without basil.
New York pizza is a derivation of Neapolitan pizza.

What characterizes it is its size, rather large, so that it can be sliced and eaten by hand. As the story goes, Italian workers in the early 20th century were working to constuct the buildings of the city and didn't have time for the leisurely, sit down, fork and knife lunch they were accustomed to, so a pizzeria owner devised the sliced pizza allowing his customers to have a quick lunch sitting on the curb.

As far as ingredients, Most New York pizzerias use imported San Marzano tomatoes, a relatively unspiced sauce except for some oregano, and a cow's milk mozzerella as opposed to Italy's buffalo milk mozzerella. Also, the NY mozzerella is usually shredded rather than sliced like their Italian counterpart.

What makes it 'special' is that this style is largely available only in New York City and its region. Though many other American cities have pizza that claims to be in this style, the ingredients and/or proportions differ, so the pizza is not the same.

It is not so much that New York style is necessarily better than other pizza styles (though considering the poor state of pizza across much of the country, it is) but it is hard to find an adequate representation outside New York and its region.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:15 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
New York pizza is a derivation of Neapolitan pizza.

What characterizes it is its size, rather large, so that it can be sliced and eaten by hand. As the story goes, Italian workers in the early 20th century were working to constuct the buildings of the city and didn't have time for the leisurely, sit down, fork and knife lunch they were accustomed to, so a pizzeria owner devised the sliced pizza allowing his customers to have a quick lunch sitting on the curb.

As far as ingredients, Most New York pizzerias use imported San Marzano tomatoes, a relatively unspiced sauce except for some oregano, and a cow's milk mozzerella as opposed to Italy's buffalo milk mozzerella. Also, the NY mozzerella is usually shredded rather than sliced like their Italian counterpart.

What makes it 'special' is that this style is largely available only in New York City and its region. Though many other American cities have pizza that claims to be in this style, the ingredients and/or proportions differ, so the pizza is not the same.

It is not so much that New York style is necessarily better than other pizza styles (though considering the poor state of pizza across much of the country, it is) but it is hard to find an adequate representation outside New York and its region.

It's funny, like I said before, pizza actually wasn't popular in most of Italy until somewhat recently. It originated around Naples as peasant food, as I'm sure you know, but was not a staple in the north until the 20th century. Anyway, I wonder if popular American styles actually had any influence in Italy. The thing with Italian pizza though is the range of sauces, cheese, toppings are limited (more traditional tastes, nothing like pineapple for instance), and the base/bread/crust usually tastes more or less the same. I did a pizza making class there and learned from a well known pizza chef the traditional way, and without boasting, the pizza I made was one of the best I've ever had. The credit goes to my teacher though. I had pizza in NY, it wasn't anything all that special. Australia has some excellent pizza, as good as you'll find anywhere though, and more experimental.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The thing with Italian pizza though is the range of sauces, cheese, toppings are limited (more traditional tastes, nothing like pineapple for instance), and the base/bread/crust usually tastes more or less the same. I did a pizza making class there and learned from a well known pizza chef the traditional way, and without boasting, the pizza I made was one of the best I've ever had. The credit goes to my teacher though. I had pizza in NY, it wasn't anything all that special. Australia has some excellent pizza, as good as you'll find anywhere though, and more experimental.
That would describe most NY pizza, though some places have gotten experimental (ziti, ravoli and buffalo chicken pizza for example in the pizza menus I linked to). Still, the tradition is to be rather sparing with toppings. The loaded with topping pizza seems off to me.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:28 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
That would describe most NY pizza, though some places have gotten experimental (ziti, ravoli and buffalo chicken pizza for example in the pizza menus I linked to). Still, the tradition is to be rather sparing with toppings. The loaded with topping pizza seems off to me.
Yes, more Italians means being more sticklers for 'tradition' although here even at traditional pizzerias there's usually the Supreme, even Hawaiian, that Aussies have gotten used to. Personally while I like pineapple, it almost seemed wrong on my pizza. One pizza I love is Greek-style lamb, tsatsiki, spinach, basil rocket tomato...mmm...that's one place I go where the crust itself is actually a joy to eat, it's kind of a bit oily and buttery (in a good way), without resorting to things like stuffed crust.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:37 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
How does the average person perceive pizza in [my] region of the world?

Hmm, do we have to define "average"? Seems at any given week, especially on Fridays, I see at least 1 vehicle on the road with a pizza delivery flag or sign on top.

Me? DH and I like pizza too but we haven't ordered one for delivery to the house in weeks. Found a restaurant that if we are in that area on a Saturday nite, we will stop there. The last 2 times that we did, we had ordered their pizza. What we couldn't finish, we took home and had for leftovers a day or two later

Old 05-15-2014, 12:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Yup Jesse44

Old 05-15-2014, 12:11 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
As a delicious entree, to be served at least once a week.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:10 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
I have a story where a friend and I went in on a pizza when we were in High School. We decided on three toppings. The pizzeria owner said, "Why you want to ruin a pizza like that. Two toppings." We decided to drop the olives. His sons were more forgiving, but in the long run, I have held on to the two toppings max rule. NY style crusts just do better (are easier to eat) with fewer toppings.

And I don't understand Americans's outside NY obsession with ranch dressing. Keep that stuff away from my pizza.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have a story where a friend and I went in on a pizza when we were in High School. We decided on three toppings. The pizzeria owner said, "Why you want to ruin a pizza like that. Two toppings." We decided to drop the olives. His sons were more forgiving, but in the long run, I have held on to the two toppings max rule. NY style crusts just do better (are easier to eat) with fewer toppings.
I've had good pizza with lots of topping, though lots of toppings I feel like you're not really eating the pizza for the pizza. Agreed lots of toppings work especially badly with NY-style pizza.

Quote:
And I don't understand Americans's outside NY obsession with ranch dressing. Keep that stuff away from my pizza.
I haven't heard of ranch dressing with pizza before. But it does seem a lot of Americans like ranch dressing for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World