Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 03:53 PM
FBF FBF started this thread

601 posts, read 933,273 times

Advertisements

I travel every year and noticed that English speaking countries (US, Canada, Ireland, UK, and possibly New Zealand and Australia) interview you thoroughly before being allowed into the country, even if it is tourism.

In the EU and non-English speaking border controls, they merely look at your passport and make sure you have never been deported and denied entry and if you are cleared, most likely will not even say a word unless you declare something or come repeatedly within a short time.

So what gives? Is it because English speaking countries are more paranoid of tourists or because the non English speaking countries know better or at least do not make it a priority unless you actually attempt to illegally work or enroll on any benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 06:56 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,736 times
I've been asked questions at BRU (Brussels) several times.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:10 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
FBF, I was asked questions at the border control in Germany before, even when I was accompanied with my EU fiancee at the time. Course the questions were very few, the border guard was more interested in the fact that I was from Puerto Rico who had family in Germany. Yeah they didn't ask me 20 questions, but it was not as easy as you said it was

Old 05-18-2014, 07:12 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
I travel every year and noticed that English speaking countries (US, Canada, Ireland, UK, and possibly New Zealand and Australia) interview you thoroughly before being allowed into the country, even if it is tourism.

In the EU and non-English speaking border controls, they merely look at your passport and make sure you have never been deported and denied entry and if you are cleared, most likely will not even say a word unless you declare something or come repeatedly within a short time.

So what gives? Is it because English speaking countries are more paranoid of tourists or because the non English speaking countries know better or at least do not make it a priority unless you actually attempt to illegally work or enroll on any benefits?
I had a Dutch border agent start picking at the edges of my passport to see if it would come apart after a litany of questions.

I've also had Swiss border guards board the train while only transiting through Switzerland ask us many questions and even called in on their mobile phones our passport numbers. They were also very rude.

So no, it's not just English speaking countries…because that would be suggesting that there is some common mindset in people or countries that speak English and that of course is ridiculous.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:42 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,435,276 times
Because Canada and the US don't want other peoples problems roaming our streets. And that includes each others.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:54 PM
FBF FBF started this thread

601 posts, read 933,273 times
Well, I did say it was my experience as a sole male traveler.

It most likely is different if you have a non EU or national fiancé coming with you into the country, sadly.

Still, border control outside the anglo sphere was a bit more bearable for me, the former made me feel like I did something wrong without even doing anything (UK and returning home to the US, especially).

Old 05-18-2014, 09:50 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,736 times
I don't know if it's because I am returning home, but when I re-enter Canada through YYZ, the only airport I fly in and out of, that's where immigration workers make me postal. They've asked me how I can afford to travel, made fun of people for not instantly knowing what lines to go in to, stare at me like I'm an idiot when I explain my travel plans, and just act all shady and douchey in general.

I really wonder if they are trained to be like that, or if it's that maddening of a job.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:46 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Well, I did say it was my experience as a sole male traveler.

It most likely is different if you have a non EU or national fiancé coming with you into the country, sadly.

Still, border control outside the anglo sphere was a bit more bearable for me, the former made me feel like I did something wrong without even doing anything (UK and returning home to the US, especially).
I can't imagine what our border control is like. I'd say its just as bad as America.

But America is bad, will have to go through it in 5 weeks at Dublin but I don't think that they care in Dublin. Apparently they just ask you like 3 questions and then swipe you through.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:05 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,442,775 times
I've been caught up in queues waiting to get into the US.

It is their perogative how they control their borders.

I would add that I have always found border control officials to be kind and courteous.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:59 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
My ex wife who was Pakistani had never been treated with suspicion or derision leaving or returning from the US. I never got hassled unnecessarily at the Mexico or Canadian borders by either side's immigration and have been treated pleasantly and politely by the officials in China, Japan, HK, and Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World