Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 11:35 AM

18 posts, read 165,984 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experiences with commuting across the world? For example, having a family in one part of the world and a job in the other? I travel a lot in the US and internationally maybe 3 times a year, but I always yearn for more; mostly because I have a very flexible job in a rural area, and am single. I know a lot of Chinese in Vancouver that hop back and forth between Hong Kong and Canada, and that seems like such a stimulating way too live, not only for the individual but for kids as well. I feel like a lot of people in North America suffer from domestic restlessness, since the country is so monotonous and it's hard to travel (unlike Europe where a couple hours train ride and you're in a different culture). Obviously financially it would only work if one's spouse was self-sufficient in their home country, so the couple could devote a necessary amount of income to airfare. It's a lavish dream perhaps, but nobody seems to bat an eye here in the PNW when husbands go up to Alaska for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 08:08 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
I'm basically doing that now... my family is in Boston and SF, I have friends there and LA and Seattle, but live and work in China with business trips to HK, Korea and Japan. I enjoy it immensely and wouldn't trade it for anything now.

It's actually pretty easy to do if you are willing to select a career that allows for it and can overcome the desire to lay down roots somewhere. My childhood as an economically disadvantaged military brat prepared me for that... we literally never had a home and had to move where either we were needed or where there was a job opportunity. I can't imagine settling down in one place tbh.

I wouldn't call the US monotonous though. There's massive geographic and cultural deviation region to region, though it's obviously different from international travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World