Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are native English speakers lazy when it comes to learning a foreign language?
Yes 32 59.26%
No 22 40.74%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 02:28 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
Well seeming as Spanish has more NATIVE speakers than English, yes, you do need to learn a language. The amount of times I hear people in foreign countries moaning that the locals do not speak English. Do you speak Spanish to help the tourists in Northern Ireland, no. Not that any tourists actually go to Northern Ireland anyways...
But then I don't live in the Spanish speaking world. I live in the Anglo-sphere and often visit other Anglophone countries and even if I don't I can always rely that someone will know some English in the country that I am visiting.

I have yet to visit a country where people don't speak English, maybe like Indonesia or something but then again do British people really visit Asia or Africa? No not really, we visit Spain, America, France, Canada etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 02:32 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Did I mention Swedish? I am talking mainly about French and Spanish thank you.
Plenty of English speakers in France, Spain and Mexico so there was no point in learning those languages either.... everytime i talk to someone in their language they turn it around and start speaking to me in English so i'll just stick to English

Old 05-16-2014, 02:58 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
But then I don't live in the Spanish speaking world. I live in the Anglo-sphere and often visit other Anglophone countries and even if I don't I can always rely that someone will know some English in the country that I am visiting.

I have yet to visit a country where people don't speak English, maybe like Indonesia or something but then again do British people really visit Asia or Africa? No not really, we visit Spain, America, France, Canada etc.
What is wrong with Africa or Asia? I know for a fact, Spanish people love it when you attempt to speak to them in Spanish when you visit there! Have you even tried to learn Spanish. I am Swedish, I speak my native language Swedish, I have picked up English and can speak it extremely fluently, and I also speak Italian, to my English level fluency because that is where half my family are from, tradition. And guess what, I am now attempting to learn Spanish, so yes, it is important to learn new languages, especially when you stated the countries you visit.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
What is wrong with Africa or Asia? I know for a fact, Spanish people love it when you attempt to speak to them in Spanish when you visit there! Have you even tried to learn Spanish. I am Swedish, I speak my native language Swedish, I have picked up English and can speak it extremely fluently, and I also speak Italian, to my English level fluency because that is where half my family are from, tradition. And guess what, I am now attempting to learn Spanish, so yes, it is important to learn new languages, especially when you stated the countries you visit.
Yes I did Spanish upto 3rd year and then they made us do French. I actually loved doing Spanish but it is a lot of work and I can't remember the words. I can remember some like Zumo de Naranja and the numbers.

But good for you but as i've already said we don't need to learn languages.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:30 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
I'm from United States and speak Spanish and Portuguese.

Although, I don't understand your thread. Majority of people where you go do not speak English.

Try going through South America.. very rarely will you be able to have an actual conversation in English. Sure, there will be a few people here and there that have really good English.. but it is FAR from common. The most you can get through is a few sentences or asking where a bathroom is.

People love to exaggerate the amount of English spoken around the world. Most people who say they speak English, don't speak it worth a crap and can not have a real conversation.

Outside of the business world, a foreign language doesn't do too much. It opens doors and friendships, but if someone doesn't have an interest in a foreign language.. it's really not going to hurt them. ESPECIALLY an English speaker. Most common people have no reason to learn a foreign language, and if it's not one of their interests.. what is it to you to judge? Should I judge you because your golf handicap is higher than mine? Everyone tries way too hard to sound open minded and worldly. It's really annoying.

So you speak a foreign language.. cool. While people might have thought it was cool, your attitude makes people not care what you have to say.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:39 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
No, its just that most people are eager to learn English as it is the worlds most commonly used language, and learning other foreign languages is not as popular (equally among english speakers and non-english speakers). It also depends on study opportunities, for example in Australia people are generally not required to study a second language in high school, while in Europe it is not uncommon that children must study 2 foreign languages or even more.
Second languages are compulsory in Queensland schools for 3 years, and I am sure it's the same across Australia.

Mandatory languages in Years 6, 7 and 8

In most cases the language second language taught is Japanese.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Second languages are compulsory in Queensland schools for 3 years, and I am sure it's the same across Australia.

Mandatory languages in Years 6, 7 and 8

In most cases the language second language taught is Japanese.
They are near mandatory in the United States. I don't know too many people who didn't take a foreign language in high school.. and I was not friends with overachievers.

How many people can actually speak the language? Not too many.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm from United States and speak Spanish and Portuguese.

Although, I don't understand your thread. Majority of people where you go do not speak English.

Try going through South America.. very rarely will you be able to have an actual conversation in English. Sure, there will be a few people here and there that have really good English.. but it is FAR from common. The most you can get through is a few sentences or asking where a bathroom is.

People love to exaggerate the amount of English spoken around the world. Most people who say they speak English, don't speak it worth a crap and can not have a real conversation.

Outside of the business world, a foreign language doesn't do too much. It opens doors and friendships, but if someone doesn't have an interest in a foreign language.. it's really not going to hurt them. ESPECIALLY an English speaker. Most common people have no reason to learn a foreign language, and if it's not one of their interests.. what is it to you to judge? Should I judge you because your golf handicap is higher than mine? Everyone tries way too hard to sound open minded and worldly. It's really annoying.

So you speak a foreign language.. cool. While people might have thought it was cool, your attitude makes people not care what you have to say.
Exactly. They make me and i'm sure others feel like we are wasters because we don't know foreign languages. As if a foreign language is the be end all.

I mean honestly I am doing A levels and finishing them off this year I will probably go off to University which I personally think is enough. We DO NOT need to learn a foreign language, we are not living in a foreign country. It is clear when you see foreigners on here that they have nowhere to practise the language.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Exactly. They make me and i'm sure others feel like we are wasters because we don't know foreign languages. As if a foreign language is the be end all.

I mean honestly I am doing A levels and finishing them off this year I will probably go off to University which I personally think is enough. We DO NOT need to learn a foreign language, we are not living in a foreign country. It is clear when you see foreigners on here that they have nowhere to practise the language.
He's just another annoying know it all that most people don't like.

Can't really do much about his type besides ignore them.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
People learning a second language do not have the luxury of knowing which grammatical mistakes society lets them get away with. So they have to make the special effort to not make any. Like forming comparatives properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World