Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 05:38 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
The anti-concept of so-called "language privilege". Or anything privilege really. X privilege, insert whatever particular polysyllabic blah blah blah into X you wish....
Poor right wingers, too closed minded to bother learning what "X privilege" really means. It has nothing to do with collective guilt, but understanding that some people do not have it easy.

As a native English speaker, I can go to a university-educated person in any country and they will be able to understand me.

If I only spoke Vietnamese, I would not be able to communicate with anybody, university educated or not, unless I had specific reason to believe they spoke Vietnamese.

If I find myself lost in Cameroon or Surinam and find an educated person, I can get help by speaking to them in English. I do not need to feel guilty that I am a native English speaker. "Checking my privilege" simply means that I am aware that if I did not speak English I would not be so lucky. It does not mean that I am part of the oppressor class, nor does it mean that all my hard work was nullified because it was all handed to me on a platter. It only means I have awareness of my advantages. That's it. That's all privilege means.

Same goes for White privilege, straight privilege, Christian privilege, male privilege, and able-bodied privilege. I'm straight and male and I acknowledge the advantages these statuses give me in society but it in no way means I'm guilty of sexism or homophobia or am being part of the oppressors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 04:45 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Given where I live and my background and my wife's (she speaks English as well as I do) we could have very easily chosen to make our kids English native speakers but chose not to. We're not prisoners of our non-English language by any stretch. I am totally free to move about 20 minutes from here and I could raise my kids as anglo ''natives'' just as they'd be in Nebraska or Western Australia.

There is a saying in French which I have heard which goes: Le français s'apprend, l'anglais s'apprend (French you learn, English you catch).

Now, my kids will likely be fluent second language English speakers with French accents and probably won't ever be able to do stand-up comedy at open mic night in Atlanta, but I am not sure why this is at all relevant anyway. Even culturally to be quite honest.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:18 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Given where I live and my background and my wife's (she speaks English as well as I do) we could have very easily chosen to make our kids English native speakers but chose not to. We're not prisoners of our non-English language by any stretch. I am totally free to move about 20 minutes from here and I could raise my kids as anglo ''natives'' just as they'd be in Nebraska or Western Australia.

There is a saying in French which I have heard which goes: Le français s'apprend, l'anglais s'apprend (French you learn, English you catch).

Now, my kids will likely be fluent second language English speakers with French accents and probably won't ever be able to do stand-up comedy at open mic night in Atlanta, but I am not sure why this is at all relevant anyway. Even culturally to be quite honest.
If you live in Quebec, I guess it makes sense...

Old 05-21-2014, 10:23 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,958 times
Quote:

I believe that people that are at loss are monolinguals, no matter their language. It must be very boring to know only one language. Every language is a world. As to Vietnamese, I bet that the language skills of their educated class are far superior to educated Australians.Their cultured language is French, and many do speak other languages.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
If you live in Quebec, I guess it makes sense...
I still live in Canada, North America as well.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:08 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
I guess you meant "l'anglais s'attrape"

Old 05-21-2014, 12:11 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
I bet I could pick up an American accent before someone in Quebec.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I guess you meant "l'anglais s'attrape"
Yes of course. Oops.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:30 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,011 times
Check your privilege!

Old 05-21-2014, 01:35 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
I think this is a bit shortsighted there's English and then there's Un official English or dialects of English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World