Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:54 AM

8 posts, read 11,141 times

Advertisements

This is a repost, but no one replied cause I had format issues within my post so I'm trying again.

Hi guys. I'm a 21 year old dual irish American citizen lookin to move to Europe. I'm a big city boy and I've basically narrowed it down between London, Paris, Berlin, or Ansterdam.

Here's my story so you give it a read and tell me what you think would be best.
I was born an Irish citizen in Ireland to Irish parents (my mother was born in NY though and therefore a US citizen) we left when I was 3 and I haven't been back except to visit relatives in Belfast in 1999 which I remember as dreary and depressing. Since then I've been raised in Brooklyn and South Florida and haven't been to Europe, I'm looking for a change and want to move to Europe and since I have the privelege of EU citizenship I have that opportunity. Work isn't an issue. I run an online business and make around 3500 usd per month pre tax
My criteria are: 24 hour city - I realize being raised in NYC I'm a bit spoiled and not many places compare. But since I have the luxury of no 9-5 I've been quite a night owl and really appreciate being able to go shopping, do recreational stuff, take public transport etc late at night/early in the morning. I love the fact that if I'm up at 3:30am on a Wednesday and I'm hungry for something other than fast food and need to get toilet paper or something I can walk outside/hop on a bus or train and do that. I'd love to duplicate that as much as possible.
Public transport - good train/bus access (which I think is pretty much universal in big euro cities) preferably it would be 24 hour or at least have good late night service
Stuff to do - I'm not much of a nature person I'm way more into concerts, nightlife, museums, ethnic restaurants, festivals, good local music scene, and a decent gay community
Affordability - I'm used to expensive but I'd prefer to avoid spend 2/3 of my income on a closet sized apartment if I can help it. Also like to be semi centrally located.
Integration opportunities - if I'm in a non anglophone country I definitely am going to take a lot of classes to learn the local because I think it's important and respectful to my host country. However, langauge proficiency takes time and in the mean time it would be nice to able to be understood until then. I like diversity and I don't mind (actually enjoy!) being around lots of different languages, colors and cultures. To add, even though legally I'm also irish I've spent my entire life in America and my accent/mannerisms are that of a New Yorker. That being said for my own personal happiness I'd prefer not to be surrounded by anti american sentiment.
Politics- I'm a gay left winger, and while I'm open minded. A country/city with a strong religious/conservative element is a turn off. I'm also gay so it's important that I won't be unsafe because of that like in certain parts of the southern USA, Mideast, Latin America, Africa and Russia. I don't think that will be an issue in Western Europe but I wanted to put that out there.
Safety- grew up on Midwood/Flatbush border in Brooklyn (aka not a war some but definitely a little rough) and now live in Alphabet City, Manhattan (mix of yuppies, punks, old Jewish people and Puerto Ricans with rent control/public housing) so I don't need a pristine area but I would prefer not to get propositioned to buy crack or worry about getting knifed/shot around my house. I know eu crime rate is lower so I doubt that's gonna be a problem coming from NYC but I just wanted to specify.
Health care - good facilities are important. I don't mind if it's not free, but don't want to spend a ton of money. I have a medical condition which I take pain medication for and I'd like to stay on my meds so I can walk around without crying in pain,

Education - maybe one day I'd like to get a degree so a nice university nearby would be nice.

I know I sound picky but give me your opinion. Only things I can't compromise on at all is the accessibility/transport/24 hour thing and healthcare. That's too much part of my lifestyle and wellbeing.

Budget wise I'd like to not spend more £900/ €1000 for rent. Preferably much less. I don't need a lot of space so a studio/1 room is fine as long as I don't to have to share bathroom and kitchen facilities. I hate having roommates so much! Also I don't mind cold and rain so weather isn't that important. I wanna to find a city that I can live in for many years. Not lookin to move in a couple of months.

Suggestions? Thanks

Sorry for bad punctuation I'm. typing this on my phone from a Starbucks. Yes, I plan on making a trip to see my for myself beforehand but I'm not rich so I can't afford to spend weeks scouting locations in Europe so I'd like to narrow it down. If there are other cities or nations that it my criteria feel free to add but I'm not interested in living in the Irish republic, Northern Ireland, East Europe (anything beyond Germany) or Scandinavia for a few reasons (mostly not my style), also no village or small cities (pop <500k) and i hate suburbs. I lived in suburban Fort Lauderdale as a teen. And hated life, being in a city is mad important to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 10:22 AM

456 posts, read 833,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoeurope View Post
I'm a gay left winger
Amsterdam.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:33 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,617 times
Quote:
Budget wise I'd like to not spend more £900/ €1000 for rent. Preferably much less. I don't need a lot of space so a studio/1 room is fine as long as I don't to have to share bathroom and kitchen facilities. I hate having roommates so much! Also I don't mind cold and rain so weather isn't that important. I wanna to find a city that I can live in for many years. Not lookin to move in a couple of months.
You can find the best bang for your buck in Berlin. London and Paris are pretty pricey, no idea about Amsterdam. Berlin is also pretty liberal and artsy. Can't really go wrong with it, but speaking German is definitely going to make your life there much easier.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:44 PM

33 posts, read 46,787 times
Best advice is to travel to these places you listed and see how you feel

Old 05-24-2014, 01:46 PM
SE9

219 posts, read 348,630 times
I believe that London fits your description. The only point in which London falls short compares to the other cities is the cost of housing, which is slightly more expensive, however searching around you can always find a gem.

On the other points you raised (with regard to language, vibrancy, public transport, access to universities, concerts, nightlife, museums, ethnic restaurants, festivals, good local music scene, gay community) - London is the better option.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:05 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Just stop it.

I'm fed up of North Americans coming here "wanting to experience Europe".
Look it won't work it will be a complete disaster. You will end up hating it and wanting to leave.

Europe is not like America at all. You shouldn't be trying to get a city atmosphere because Europe is different so the cities will be different. I also don't think its a good idea to move to a foreign lanuage speaking country. Culturally they will have different traditions and act differently.

My cousins tried coming here and it failed badly. Everyone thinks they will "come to Europe" and live a traditional life but REALLY they have a crappy vision of what it is really like and in the end they come back after a few weeks.

Oh and I don't see a salary of less than $40,000 as spoiled..

Old 05-24-2014, 02:15 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Just stop it.

Look it won't work it will be a complete disaster. You will end up hating it and wanting to leave.
Just because you're closed-minded doesn't mean everybody is, European or North American.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Just stop it.

Europe is not like America at all. You shouldn't be trying to get a city atmosphere because Europe is different so the cities will be different. I also don't think its a good idea to move to a foreign lanuage speaking country. Culturally they will have different traditions and act differently.

My cousins tried coming here and it failed badly. Everyone thinks they will "come to Europe" and live a traditional life but REALLY they have a crappy vision of what it is really like and in the end they come back after a few weeks.

Oh and I don't see a salary of less than $40,000 as spoiled..
You're rude. I've no intentions of a traditional european life, this is 2015. I just want to live somewhere a bit different. Your profile says your from NI, as is my family although I was born in Donegal. By your snappy attitude I'm assuming you're a Protestant..typical.
Anyhow, I'm not a "North American experiencing Europe" I'm an EU citizen from birth and have every right to be anywhere in Europe..
And apparently you cannot read because I never said my salary makes me spoiled...I simply said NYC has spoiled me on public transport. I posted this thread to get suggestions on where to live not to be berated by a sad old ulster man/woman. Go march in an orange order parade. Good day.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
I believe that London fits your description. The only point in which London falls short compares to the other cities is the cost of housing, which is slightly more expensive, however searching around you can always find a gem.

On the other points you raised (with regard to language, vibrancy, public transport, access to universities, concerts, nightlife, museums, ethnic restaurants, festivals, good local music scene, gay community) - London is the better option.
You think? London seems wonderful but I'm worried, is it too similar to NY? I don't want to spend thousands to move to the same city with different accents. Also doesn't the tube close at midnight?

Old 05-24-2014, 02:39 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
You're rude. I've no intentions of a traditional european life, this is 2015. I just want to live somewhere a bit different. Your profile says your from NI, as is my family although I was born in Donegal. By your snappy attitude I'm assuming you're a Protestant..typical.
Anyhow, I'm not a "North American experiencing Europe" I'm an EU citizen from birth and have every right to be anywhere in Europe..
And apparently you cannot read because I never said my salary makes me spoiled...I simply said NYC has spoiled me on public transport. I posted this thread to get suggestions on where to live not to be berated by a sad old ulster man/woman. Go march in an orange order parade. Good day.
Oh my god you are so horrible and judgemental!

You don't know anything about me. I actually have no respect for that awful organisation.
But you said you lived here to three yet you have a rude opinion about Protestant how narrowminded and uneducated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World