Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Ok well i'm probably not the best person . . .
Alas, a small brush of self-awareness...

"Run along and earn £100 this week in Zimbabwe!"

Epsilon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 07:02 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
And surely if you only make 3000 dollars a year how can you afford to fly to America? Let alone live there.

You live about 3x the distance that I do to New York and we paid £550 per seat..

Old 05-26-2014, 07:13 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
If you can't afford to go to Europe, Australia or North America. Well how about Cape Town instead? Cape Town is South Africa safest city and the university of Cape town is still a world class university. Perhaps you can apply to immigrate to another country when you finish your degree in Cape Town, as a university degree would double your chance to be accepted to move to another country.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
And surely if you only make 3000 dollars a year how can you afford to fly to America? Let alone live there.

You live about 3x the distance that I do to New York and we paid £550 per seat..
How do third-world immigrants the world over make it to your nation and make a go of it in cities that often have a higher cost of living than your average American city?

Consider sticking to your uncharacteristically introspective "I'm probably not the best person" revelation.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:31 AM

Well I have no idea because this just like me going to beverly hills and trying to live.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:40 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Quote:
Well I have no idea because this just like me going to beverly hills and trying to live.
No it isn't. Please leave this thread, you are making a complete fool of yourself.

And to the OP, I think calling consulates the world over and seeing if you get a feasible 'checklist' is your best bet. Otherwise, I also liked the idea that you could at least temporarily move to South Africa if you are able to, and try to tally up a good set of credentials that will open up more doors for you outside SA. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Last edited by Jesse44; 05-26-2014 at 07:50 AM..

Old 05-26-2014, 08:04 AM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
If the OP was willing to learn a new language, he and his mother can literally move to any of a lot of countries in Africa, Asia, or Latin America. Most countries in the world are not hostile towards whites, even countries that once were colonies of European countries. Zimbabwe's situation was really created by racist whites before the 1980's and now things are balancing themselves. There are countries where the whites were not as brutal as in Zimbabwe and as a result racial tensions today are quite low even in countries where whites are the minority.

But, if the OP thinks there's safety in numbers or feels the need of being in a 'white' society out of fear that some lunatic could rise to power in any country with a white minority and whip up resentments to Zimbabwean levels; then your options are mostly limited to Latin America, namely Uruguay, Argentina, and to a certain extent Chile. Argentina is an economic roller coaster but a significant percentage of the population has a decent standard of living, Uruguay is sort of the quiet kid on the block but most of its population also has a decent standard of living, and Chile is the country that has been truly serious about becoming fully developed which opens plenty of career opportunities.

In Africa itself, countries that are not hostile towards the white minority and there's not much indication that racial hostilities will rise anytime soon, Namibia and Botswana are probably the only countries of British tradition that fits this situation. Angola is going through an economic boom and they are quite relaxed in the racial sense, but Angola was a Portuguese colony and the Portuguese were simply not that brutal back then which explains the large lack of racial resentments there. There probably are many other countries in Africa, but I don't know how much underdevelopment you are willing to take even though you are from the poorest of all African countries, so anywhere you go will be a move up.

In Latin America countries with white minorities but with not much racial resentments and no indication any politician will be whipping up resentments any time soon, and is economically developing, would be Panama. Also, Costa Rica and even Mexico could be good choices. Brazil itself is a good choice but they are very strict on their migration policies. Peru is currently going through an economic boom and many areas, especially in its capital city Lima, has seen great improvements. A lot of whites, mostly Spanish, have been moving there in the past few years, especially to Lima.There are a few other Latin American countries that might fit the bill too. Latin American countries are rich compared to much of Africa and especially Zimbabwe, so any of them would be a move up, but they are of Spanish tradition and you must learn to speak Spanish if you are going to live in any of them.

Other than that, your options are very limited.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:17 AM

16 posts, read 92,187 times
Is your USC father listed on your birth certificate? Find web site Visa Journey where I am an adviser under a different name. Join and begin a thread with your basic info. Make sure you state just the facts of your past situation including your living in the U S. There are some very experienced, informed members there that may help you find a path to get what you want.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:42 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hararemark42796 View Post
We were not illegal! We had temporary residence and they got divorced before we got green cards!
So what visa were you on? Usually you receive a green card a few weeks after entering the country if married to a US citizen. If you're traveling there as a finance you have to apply for one within 90 days after entering (and after getting married, obviously). Did your mother have some sort of work visa or why did you guys never obtain green cards?
In case you were there illegally a new visa is probably going to be denied.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:10 AM

They must've got the green card and then discarded it. Or they were waiting on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World