Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

I think I am in the minority, in that I can fairly quickly pick up the ability to express myself in a foreign language, but have great difficulty tuning my ear to understand it.

Which to me, makes perfect logical sense. I learn a vocabulary of a few hundred words and basic syntax and grammar, which is easily understood by a native speaker when I piece them together, but a person speaking to me uses mostly words I don't know and grammatical constructions that I don't know, and talks a lot faster than I can reconstruct in my mind..

Yet, somehow, my traveling companions understand everything people say, but have to nudge me and tell me to ask the questions. My wife says that is because she already knows pretty much what they are going to say, because she can read body language, which I cannot do because I'm autistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 07:44 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
I can't do either, but I would imagine speaking would actually be easier as well. Unless you mean just very basic phrases.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:01 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
I'm the same way, mainly because my hearing is damaged after years of playing in bands onstage. Especially in noisy environments. Once I know the sentence structure and a couple hundred nouns, verbs and objects, I'm off and running.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,416 times
Nothing

Maybe seen it written is easier than hear it (english) because you don't say things like you write...

Old 05-31-2014, 10:26 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think I am in the minority, in that I can fairly quickly pick up the ability to express myself in a foreign language, but have great difficulty tuning my ear to understand it.
Can you express yourself or you just think you can express yourself? By definition we're not the best judges when it comes to our ability to speak a foreign language.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:34 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Speaking and especially reading is way easier. I can pronounce French and German quite, well, acceptably and they sound correct in my head. Can read some French, German and Dutch, but understanding speech is quite difficult.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:34 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
It depends on the level and the language.

When a person is learning a language, it is typically easier for them to form sentences and start talking about themselves on their own but then when someone responds they will not be able to understand what is being spoken to them. This is because when they are speaking, they are able to use the vocabulary they already know, but when it is spoken back to them they might not know the words or grammar being used.

However, take someone who knows Spanish for example. If someone speaks Italian or Portuguese to them, it's likely they will have a decent understanding of what is being spoken, but they would never be able to respond back in those languages unless they have somewhat studied the language.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Can you express yourself or you just think you can express yourself? By definition we're not the best judges when it comes to our ability to speak a foreign language.
When I say things, people act like they understand, and give me answers to what I think I was asking. If that is anything to go by.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:14 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Understand,
for example, I understand French quite well, I can read it ok, speak it...not so well.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:52 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
I can understand French well enough but can't even begin to speak it. But that's just because I grew up hearing it all of my life.

But, I know in Spanish and German, I can make simple sentences that work, but native speakers aren't simpletons with their own language so it's difficult for me to understand. I have noticed in Spanish that I can pick up things more and more all the time though. That's from self-immersion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World