Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:06 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I don't think Chinese women are "submissive" at all.
In fact they are the most aggressive imo.

In China you can often see women scold or even beat their husband in public.
No women change their family name after getting married. It is ok, but I have known quite a few Chinese take their mother's family name, although their parents did not divorce. Some women "negotiate" with the husband: "First kid your name, second kid my name!".

They totally aren't.

The reason that stereotype exists imho is blending different asian cultures together, like postman said, and applying Western social norms about daintiness/femininity to Asian cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 09:49 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't think there's any discrimination or hate towards E. Asians in America. Most people want them as neighbors and workers because they're non-violent, bring up your test scores, work hard, and bring good food into the community.

As far as dating, Asian men probably have a tougher sell than white and black males but if you got game, your race doesn't matter to most women from what I've seen.
Besides physical traits, Asian men usually do not go to the bars and clubs, and do not approach strange women the same way as other men do.
Even now, most Asian men (in Asia) only date women they have known for a while and it is not OK to talk to a stranger simply because she is attractive.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:39 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
Asians in America have stereotypical perceptions attached to them (no need to rehash- they're widely known), but not the same extent of discrimination or negativity directed towards Blacks or Hispanics in this country.

Asians don't have the "danger" label, and thus often live in the more affluent areas of the country such as in Silicon Valley suburbs....Walnut Creek, CA...Bellevue, WA...Northern VA suburbs...Sugarland, TX- in the same neighborhoods with whites.

However, based on my experiences, I think the discrimination Asians face in many parts of Europe are harsher, to the point I wonder as an Asian-American there, "Why are these Asians living here?!?"

Old 06-04-2014, 10:45 AM

872 posts, read 1,384,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Asians in America have stereotypical perceptions attached to them (no need to rehash- they're widely known), but not the same extent of discrimination or negativity directed towards Blacks or Hispanics in this country.

Asians don't have the "danger" label, and thus often live in the more affluent/ prominent areas of the country such as in Silicon Valley suburbs....Walnut Creek, CA...Bellevue, WA...Northern VA suburbs...Sugarland, TX- in the same neighborhoods with whites.

However, based on my experiences, I think the discrimination Asians face in many parts of Europe are harsher, to the point I wonder as an Asian-American there, "Why are these Asians living here?!?"
In the UK, at least, East Asians don't seem to face much discrimination. They're by far the least griped about ethnic minority, and usually viewed positively by anyone over the mental age of 11.

For example, South Koreans are well integrated into towns such as New Malden, the Japanese in North London. The degree of integration is such that many are unaware that there are large East Asian communities in these areas at all.

If there is any concern on my part, from what I can glean speaking to people in these communities, it is the fact that these East Asians have discriminatory tendencies themselves.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post

Asians don't have the "danger" label, and thus often live in the more affluent areas of the country such as in Silicon Valley suburbs....Walnut Creek, CA...Bellevue, WA...Northern VA suburbs...Sugarland, TX- in the same neighborhoods with whites.

I used to live in Zurich. Most Asians there seem to be from southeast Asia such as Thailand and the Philippines. Locals have some negative opinions because some of them are involved in drugs and prostitution. When I was there I read a piece of news saying some Asian man was caught prostituting himself to a man!

Old 06-04-2014, 07:20 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
What's so surprising about male prositute?Female prostitution is more "reasonable" in your book?

Old 06-04-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
What's so surprising about male prositute?Female prostitution is more "reasonable" in your book?
Female prostitutes are certainly more common than male prostitutes serving men.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
In other places,sure;in Europe,it's definitely not as uncommon.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:12 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
They totally aren't.

The reason that stereotype exists imho is blending different asian cultures together, like postman said, and applying Western social norms about daintiness/femininity to Asian cultures.
Neither are Koreans for that matter.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:30 AM

296 posts, read 469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Neither are Koreans for that matter.
Korean catholic girls are actually pretty submissive I find. They tend to be prettier on avg too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World