Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:58 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I was very interested in visiting Malaysia until the episode with the missing airplane and now the airplane that was shot down in the Ukraine.

The way they dealt with the missing plane and the investigation reminds me of how people do things in Brazil- very disorganized, constant denial of facts, very slow and incompetent.

I can't pass a judgement on the entire country and its people without going there, but even though Malaysia looks like an attractive destination from the outside, it seems like it possesses all characteristics and cultural aspects of a Third World country
Well to be fair its not really third world, but the population always complained about how inconsistent the government are (and its true), but its one of the well-developed country in Southeast Asia, so if you liked something sterile and easy you go for Malaysia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
After the incident in Karachi I have even more reluctance to visit a Muslim country. Alot has to be proven to us from the western world before getting confident.
Karachi don't represent Muslim country, for example see Jakarta and how it have one of the best nightlife in Asia. Indonesians are generally quiet open minded and there's also the Javanese who practices Islam mixed with Hindu-Buddhist religion, very diverse place if you like adventures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I was very interested in visiting Malaysia until the episode with the missing airplane and now the airplane that was shot down in the Ukraine.

The way they dealt with the missing plane and the investigation reminds me of how people do things in Brazil- very disorganized, constant denial of facts, very slow and incompetent.

I can't pass a judgement on the entire country and its people without going there, but even though Malaysia looks like an attractive destination from the outside, it seems like it possesses all characteristics and cultural aspects of a Third World country
Some of that misinformation I believe was due to the Asian culture of trying to save face...Asians are rarely direct and to the point. I'm not criticizing, it's just what I observed while working for years in several Asian countries.

I wouldn't call Malaysia 3rd world and wouldn't hesitate going back there. My best friend speculated that Russia shot down that plane intentionally to pay Malaysia back for something...I'm not buying that theory but I can see the Russkies doing something like that if the malays were helping to fund the Chechnyans.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:43 PM

313 posts, read 531,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
It have Indonesian migrants, but most are from Sumatra and Java, so no you don't really represent the Indonesians there.

Sorry but that's the truth, you don't have Eastern Indonesians there.

China is claiming its sea... and well the Indonesians can potentially be its threat, if it doesn't have an alliance with Australia, Singapore, UK etc. Its military isn't that strong either plus the population is low.

Same reason why the Dutch loves visiting Indonesia.

True, i personally hated the generalization of the two culture being similar.
As you would know, a lot of Malay culture comes from Indonesia. Not just Sumatra, but Borneo and Java too. Didn't say Malaysia represented all Indonesians.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
As you would know, a lot of Malay culture comes from Indonesia. Not just Sumatra, but Borneo and Java too. Didn't say Malaysia represented all Indonesians.
Only a little comes from Java apart from few food influence that comes from Java i couldn't think of anything else, the batik pattern is different, the Wayang is different etc etc
Ok there's Kuda Lumping in Johor, practiced by population who are believed to be Javanese descent but that's mostly it, the Javanese in Suriname also does it. There's absolutely nothing else like nasi kuning, ayam penyet (not fried chicken but bone crushed sambal chicken), Ramayana dances, Slametan, Javanese wayang, and many others... now many of these are brought by the Javanese in Suriname with the exception of Ramayana dance, the migration to Malaysia wasn't on massive scale enough to brought culture to represent its culture.

In Malaysia too Sundanese often get mistaken as Javanese, just because they come from Java, however i don't see Sundanese culture in Malaysia.

Malaysian use gamelan but we know the Thais also used it. and that it was actually kept in only 1 court of the royal family before being exposed in the 70s.

Borneo yes since the Dayaks and Malays are probably related to one another.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:18 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
Now I think Malaysia has gained international attention due to that 2 unfortunate plane incidents.

But I was surprise that most people here still considered Malaysia close to unknown....what more to countries like Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines? (Malaysia neighboring countries)

Malaysia is going the be the second developed country (aside from Singapore) in Southeast Asia region come 2020.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:59 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
As an American, I'm expected to be completely ignorant of other nations.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:54 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
As an American, I'm expected to be completely ignorant of other nations.

Didn't you guys study geography or world history back in highschool and elementary?

Old 07-30-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Well to be fair its not really third world, but the population always complained about how inconsistent the government are (and its true), but its one of the well-developed country in Southeast Asia, so if you liked something sterile and easy you go for Malaysia.

Karachi don't represent Muslim country, for example see Jakarta and how it have one of the best nightlife in Asia. Indonesians are generally quiet open minded and there's also the Javanese who practices Islam mixed with Hindu-Buddhist religion, very diverse place if you like adventures.
How is Malaysia 'sterile'? Just because it's developed? Why go to Japan or most European countries then?

If being able to drink the water and eat the food is 'sterile' I consider that a good thing.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Now I think Malaysia has gained international attention due to that 2 unfortunate plane incidents.

But I was surprise that most people here still considered Malaysia close to unknown....what more to countries like Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines? (Malaysia neighboring countries)

Malaysia is going the be the second developed country (aside from Singapore) in Southeast Asia region come 2020.
I don't think Indonesia is any more known outside the region. Vietnam is mostly known for the war, and the Phils maybe because of Filipino Americans? I don't think most Europeans give the Phils much thought either.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I don't think Indonesia is any more known outside the region. Vietnam is mostly known for the war, and the Phils maybe because of Filipino Americans? I don't think most Europeans give the Phils much thought either.
Indonesia is more known compared to Malaysia, which is more known in the Anglosphere with the exception of USA. Its often more talked about in the business world and also partially because its a large nation.

Quote:
How is Malaysia 'sterile'? Just because it's developed? Why go to Japan or most European countries then?

If being able to drink the water and eat the food is 'sterile' I consider that a good thing.
Its more developed yes, its one thing that dissapoint most travellers because the sense of adventure is lost. Compared to its neighbors its much less exotic, maybe only more than Philippines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World