U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2014, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 17,746,265 times
Reputation: 2833

Advertisements

In your country? (obviously this is the reason why I didn't post this in the Asia forum)

It seems pretty unknown in the US, and much of the world in general. Even in the UK, Thailand seems more visited, even if Malaysia was a British colony.

In Australia, Malaysia is better known (including the food). It's known for having rich, diverse food, being 'truly Asia' - ethnically diverse, being close to Singapore, pristine beaches and rainforest, and friendly people who can generally speak English.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2014, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Taipei
7,612 posts, read 6,031,248 times
Reputation: 5405
That they kicked Singapore out of the federation then somehow Singapore got 10 times more successful than them?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 12:33 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,694 posts, read 21,075,308 times
Reputation: 3107
We don't have any really
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 17,746,265 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That they kicked Singapore out of the federation then somehow Singapore got 10 times more successful than them?
Economically, Malaysia was probably doing best in the 80s and 90s under Mahathir (although even then there was considerable corruption), then the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis hit. Although not booming as much, Malaysia is still between the likes of Thailand and Singapore in terms of wealth, GDP.etc, although it has some issues to worth through.

In terms of tourists, I've noticed that while Australians and British visit in large numbers (about half a million each), I'm seeing a lot more from the Middle East. South and East Asian tourists are growing more prominent. While somewhat popular, it just doesn't seem as popular to other Europeans and maybe Americans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Taipei
7,612 posts, read 6,031,248 times
Reputation: 5405
Malaysia is a very popular travel destination.Not only for Asians,but for Westerners as well.It's ranked within top 10 in terms of annual tourist arrivals iirc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 17,746,265 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
We don't have any really
A Small Faces song even references 'Kuala Lumpur' lol


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFk5nmtEy-U&feature=kp


It seems Singapore is/was pretty well known in the UK. I mean the Fall of Singapore was a pretty big event in WWII.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Taipei
7,612 posts, read 6,031,248 times
Reputation: 5405
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Economically, Malaysia was probably doing best in the 80s and 90s under Mahathir (although even then there was considerable corruption), then the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis hit. Although not booming as much, Malaysia is still between the likes of Thailand and Singapore in terms of wealth, GDP.etc, although it has some issues to worth through.

In terms of tourists, I've noticed that while Australians and British visit in large numbers (about half a million each), I'm seeing a lot more from the Middle East. South and East Asian tourists are growing more prominent. While somewhat popular, it just doesn't seem as popular to other Europeans and maybe Americans.
And yes Malaysia only seconds to Singapore among SE Asian nations in terms of wealth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 12:38 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,694 posts, read 21,075,308 times
Reputation: 3107
Is it really?

I never hear of anybody going to Malaysia. Its America, Spain, Dubai, Australia, South Africa, France, Carribean etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 17,746,265 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Malaysia is a very popular travel destination.Not only for Asians,but for Westerners as well.It's ranked within top 10 in terms of annual tourist arrivals iirc.
Indeed it still is, although Singaporean visitors account for a fair chunk. Even if you take that away it gets quite a lot.

One advantage is has over Thailand is it has more preserved rainforest/nature, especially in East Malaysia (Borneo).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 12:40 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,694 posts, read 21,075,308 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
A Small Faces song even references 'Kuala Lumpur' lol


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFk5nmtEy-U&feature=kp


It seems Singapore is/was pretty well known in the UK. I mean the Fall of Singapore was a pretty big event in WWII.
Well we do know about it but i'm thinking about local cuisines and the countries and the news and I rarely hear about Malaysia.

We do know about Singapore of course. It is a popular stop over.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top