Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:47 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I LOVE Black people, their humour is amazing!
Why thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Probably both. Had some who were kind of mean (bus driver telling us off, rude postal worker, man who cheated me out of $20), and some who were very kind and helpful (a girl I asked directions, man in the LA subway). A couple in DC just spoke to me, out of the blue, but I didn't really understand one man. He kept asking 'how do you espouse yourself?' I'm like, 'um, I don't know.'...yeah I know what the word means, but I don't know what you're asking lol...In Vegas there was a black couple who were very extroverted who were just talking to everyone on the bus, even strangers as they boarded, as if they were old friends. It just felt different to here in Australia, but felt quite comfortable and not awkward. I like how some black people have that manner about them, I guess their culture tends to be a bit more extroverted? Of course many blacks didn't SEEM to fit the stereotypes, as I'm sure a lot do, but coming from Australia, hardly ever meeting any African Americans, it was good to broaden my experience.

But yeah, it's a small sample, not enough to judge from. I didn't have any positive interactions with Hispanics, but I obviously say they are all bad since I only met perhaps a dozen or so. But of the ones I met, none seemed particularly friendly, to my surprise. At the risk of sounding racist it seemed white folk were outwardly the most friendly.
Sounds about right for us blacks. We're like a box of chocolates that way. Black bus drivers seem to be like this no matter where they are. The majority can be rather unpleasant. And yes, many of us don't fit the typical stereotype, me being one of them.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:52 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You're going to have the time of your life when you visit.

Make sure you have a fat bank account prior to it, because it's going to get emptied a little bit. ;-)
Actually, aside from accommodation NYC is probably one of the better cities to have fun in if you're on a budget. You can get $1 slices of pizza, or filling meals for $5 from food-carts, buffets at bodegas. A lot of attractions are free, like museums and stuff (or there's a 'suggested donation'), plus even if you don't pay for anything just walking around the city is fascinating. Plus the subway is cheap. London is a lot pricier in terms of food and transport.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You're going to have the time of your life when you visit.

Make sure you have a fat bank account prior to it, because it's going to get emptied a little bit. ;-)
Awesome, thank you!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Sounds about right for us blacks. We're like a box of chocolates that way. Black bus drivers seem to be like this no matter where they are. The majority can be rather unpleasant. And yes, many of us don't fit the typical stereotype, me being one of them.
Yes, it's cool to meet real people, instead of just relying on stereotypes, ya know? I guess Americans, whites too, tend to be more likely to speak to strangers.etc I think too, although Australians moreso than Brits. We're more introverted than many think, people are also more outgoing when they travel. We're sort of like between Americans and Brits, although get rowdy when drunk.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Actually, aside from accommodation NYC is probably one of the better cities to have fun in if you're on a budget. You can get $1 slices of pizza, or filling meals for $5 from food-carts, buffets at bodegas. A lot of attractions are free, like museums and stuff (or there's a 'suggested donation'), plus even if you don't pay for anything just walking around the city is fascinating. Plus the subway is cheap. London is a lot pricier in terms of food and transport.
So is San Francisco. I haven't had a dollar slice of Pizza since the early 90's LOL.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's cool to meet real people, instead of just relying on stereotypes, ya know? I guess Americans, whites too, tend to be more likely to speak to strangers.etc I think too, although Australians moreso than Brits. We're more introverted than many think, people are also more outgoing when they travel. We're sort of like between Americans and Brits, although get rowdy when drunk.
We used to get Irish each summer when I worked at SeaWorld. A few times, we'd get Australians too. Irish + Australians + Mexicans = a party like you have never seen!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
So is San Francisco. I haven't had a dollar slice of Pizza since the early 90's LOL.
Yeah I got a $1 slice of pizza in 2011. Also I love those 24/7 delis that have a selection of various things. You fill up your container for $5-6 (or by weight), it was awesome. You could go out at almost any time of day or night and there'd be something happening, not the deserted feeling of many American cities. That's partly why NYC is my favourite city.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
We used to get Irish each summer when I worked at SeaWorld. A few times, we'd get Australians too. Irish + Australians + Mexicans = a party like you have never seen!
Yes, indeed, most Aussies like a good shindig...Irish are pretty cool, too.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:09 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
there are only one Americans - the citizens of US. You are probably the only one who got confused. You must be from South America?
Excuse me? It's the Americas in case you haven't been following! This actually gets funnier by the day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World