U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,661 posts, read 80,336,681 times
Reputation: 36384

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It's weird. Who the hell talks to random people on the bus or train?
I live in an American city, and I use the bus. Strangers are always talking to each other.. I've ridden on buses in about 100 countries, people are people.

One of my favorite moments in my life came on a bus riding out into the Chaco in Paraguay. A young man got on the bus carrying a guitar and sat down. After a few miles, an old gaucho went over and hesitantly asked if he could look at the guitar. Sure, why not. The gaucho knowingly plucked a few strings and looked it over, and sat down in the seat across the aisle and played a few chords, and then started to very quietly, almost under his breath, sing along. It went on for about an hour of his repertoire, every passenger on the bus totally spellbound as darkness fell, some of them weeping, listening to this old man playing the guitar and quietly singing to himself, maybe unaware that others could hear him..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2014, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Sweden
23,883 posts, read 68,360,138 times
Reputation: 18537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
We are warned from a young age in Britain not to to talk to strangers or to go home with people who we don't now. Indeed just last week a beautiful Swedish Au pair wanted me to come back to her apartment, but luckily I remembered all those public information films I had seen as a child and promptly told her no.



I don´t think she was swedish.
Swedes are cold, shy and doesn´t like to talk to strangers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 12:12 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,694 posts, read 21,726,832 times
Reputation: 3107
Yes we do that here its quite nice.

I personally don't get city people who don't speak to people. I don't mean saying hello to everyone you see down the street but like if you are in a queue and say hello or something like 'oh this queue is so long' then I don't see whats wrong with that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Great Britain
2,739 posts, read 2,876,654 times
Reputation: 1444
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I don´t think she was swedish.
Swedes are cold, shy and doesn´t like to talk to strangers.
Swedes obviously saw the same public information TV adverts as I did whilst growing up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 01:37 PM
 
Location: 'Back in the midst of a world gone mad'
165 posts, read 169,718 times
Reputation: 244
I thought it was normal for people to talk to each other like that. I'm from the south in the US, and though we don't always strike up a conversation, it happens right often. That's how you meet people.

I've traveled a lot and have lived in a lot of different places, and have found most people are friendly and talkative. A lot of them even in places where they have reputations of being unfriendly. People are people from what I've seen so far. Most of them are friendly, though not all.

There was one country that the people were not very friendly as a whole, it just wasn't in there dna. That or their extreme hatred of all americans, and truthfully it was probably that. But they weren't a whole lot better to each other. Lol Oh well. The immigrants there were wonderful though. Was glad to go back to the states and southern hospitality.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,661 posts, read 80,336,681 times
Reputation: 36384
I said in a post above that "people are people", meaning that basically, people everywhere have a gregarious streak and a willingness to socialize with others with some friendly spirit of welcoming.

But there is one place that stood out in my mind where I found that people were particularly kind and gentle and patient with others, even people below their station without being condescending. There was a tolerance and respect for strangers, and a recognition of their dignity. Iran.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 18,382,499 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I said in a post above that "people are people", meaning that basically, people everywhere have a gregarious streak and a willingness to socialize with others with some friendly spirit of welcoming.

But there is one place that stood out in my mind where I found that people were particularly kind and gentle and patient with others, even people below their station without being condescending. There was a tolerance and respect for strangers, and a recognition of their dignity. Iran.
I've heard that about Iran, and I'd like to visit. But I've also heard some of the men can be too friendly if you know what I mean...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 06:46 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,837 posts, read 1,546,263 times
Reputation: 528
Talking to strangers in Singapore is not the norm I suppose
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Viseu, Portugal 510 masl
2,472 posts, read 2,317,774 times
Reputation: 940
People just ignore each other in public transportation, most are busy with a book or a smartphone, maybe some old woman strikes up a conversation here and there, but it's rare.

I like it this way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2014, 03:29 AM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,256 posts, read 26,644,106 times
Reputation: 8760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I live in an American city, and I use the bus. Strangers are always talking to each other.. I've ridden on buses in about 100 countries, people are people.

One of my favorite moments in my life came on a bus riding out into the Chaco in Paraguay. A young man got on the bus carrying a guitar and sat down. After a few miles, an old gaucho went over and hesitantly asked if he could look at the guitar. Sure, why not. The gaucho knowingly plucked a few strings and looked it over, and sat down in the seat across the aisle and played a few chords, and then started to very quietly, almost under his breath, sing along. It went on for about an hour of his repertoire, every passenger on the bus totally spellbound as darkness fell, some of them weeping, listening to this old man playing the guitar and quietly singing to himself, maybe unaware that others could hear him..
An elderly lady started talking to me at a bus stop recently, about her son who is in hospital. I talked with her for a few minutes while we waited for the bus, even though I didn't really want to. We went out separate ways on the bus, of course.

I am pretty gregarious and talk a lot, but don't like random chitchat with strangers on public transport.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top