U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 05:22 AM

677 posts, read 814,272 times

Advertisements

In Belarus, it's mostly some old, drunk (often both) people or weirdos who start such conversations. That's annoying.
I wish a nice young lady did it with me, however
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 08:57 AM

42,661 posts, read 79,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Mine either. I think even if it were, I wouldn't just go with a strange man.
Would you go with a strange woman? Did a woman ever go with you as a "strange man"? Is there a difference?

Old 06-12-2014, 09:00 AM

9,781 posts, read 17,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Would you go with a strange woman? Did a woman ever go with you as a "strange man"? Is there a difference?
A random woman? No, I'd think something was up.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:02 AM

45,907 posts, read 65,512,361 times
I talk to strangers in every country. They talk to me too. No problem
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:54 PM

15,251 posts, read 10,730,127 times
I find in Vancouver that strangers talk to each other, depending on the situation. I take the bus infrequently,but people will talk to you on the bus more often than on the metro.
I and strangers have struck up conversations in grocery store line ups, sitting on a park bench, and even when biking.

Usually what starts these conversations is a shared moment where something funny or unusual happens.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:00 PM
FBF

606 posts, read 784,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Why would it be sad? I want to choose the persons that I have a conversation with, and have absolutely no interest in engaging in empty small talk with a random person in a bus being tired from work.

This is how we like it.
Uh....you do realize that I was referring to the US how sadly you are expected to talk to strangers or be labelled potentially dangerous or mentally enstranged.

I agree with the European approach of not talking to strangers unless it is for specific reasons.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:51 PM

7,652 posts, read 16,416,309 times
I don't like the "European" approach, although that tends to be my normal behavior. Young people, except those from small towns, generally have a reserve about them. Older and even middle-aged folk, it really depends but they seem more gregarious. Just the opposite of Spain, where the youth are generally open, and the elderly reserved. In Morocco, everybody seems gregarious and happy to have you in their country, and a lot of the personal boundaries that exist in the U.S. or Spain are crushed down and disintegrated. There are regional differences in the U.S. People from the city in St. Louis tended to be a lot more open and friendly than people here in Duluth or Minneapolis.

I think talking with strangers can be a beneficial activity. For a lot of people, it's the only informal interaction they have. That's probably why the elderly talk so much. As a solo traveler I feel delighted when somebody talks to me after a day or week with no non-business interaction.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:01 PM

42,661 posts, read 79,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
A random woman? No, I'd think something was up.
You can tell.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:56 PM

23,390 posts, read 12,552,696 times
I worked in Seoul for a year and they don't talk to strangers...everybody is glued to their smartphone doing something. Korean only talk to people they're introduced to from someone they know.

In the USA, it's pretty common to talk to strangers you just met...they might be friendly or may not, just depends on person and situation.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:15 PM

9,781 posts, read 17,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I don't like the "European" approach, although that tends to be my normal behavior. Young people, except those from small towns, generally have a reserve about them. Older and even middle-aged folk, it really depends but they seem more gregarious. Just the opposite of Spain, where the youth are generally open, and the elderly reserved. In Morocco, everybody seems gregarious and happy to have you in their country, and a lot of the personal boundaries that exist in the U.S. or Spain are crushed down and disintegrated. There are regional differences in the U.S. People from the city in St. Louis tended to be a lot more open and friendly than people here in Duluth or Minneapolis.

I think talking with strangers can be a beneficial activity. For a lot of people, it's the only informal interaction they have. That's probably why the elderly talk so much. As a solo traveler I feel delighted when somebody talks to me after a day or week with no non-business interaction.
I would say in America the young are less likely to speak to strangers to, although it depends I guess. Some have that sort of almost snobbish reserve about them.

Yeah old people can go either way, I've found. I've only met a few Spaniards while travelling and they seem very open and extroverted vs Northern Europeans. Australians and Brits vary, but a lot sort of think they're a bit above talking to other travellers, maybe there's less incentive to practice English too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World