U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2014, 03:50 AM
 
14,790 posts, read 15,054,111 times
Reputation: 20576

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Old people love to start conversations with me, or my toddler, but otherwise people generally don't talk to strangers unless asking for help/directions/the time etc. While sober anyway, drunk is a different story. But I've experienced a few times a stranger starting a conversation with me on the train so its not completely unheard of, and people love to chat when they come into the shop I work in.
Same for me. I often have people sriking up conversations on the train to me.

Last week a lady working in the chemist spilled her guts to me when I was just trying to buy nurofen. Got her whole work history and issues.... People often do that to me, lol

Old people often have a chat with me, and I do say good morning if I pass them on the street still .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2014, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 17,769,569 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Same for me. I often have people sriking up conversations on the train to me.

Last week a lady working in the chemist spilled her guts to me when I was just trying to buy nurofen. Got her whole work history and issues.... People often do that to me, lol

Old people often have a chat with me, and I do say good morning if I pass them on the street still .
Yeah I think my non-judgemental demeanour makes people open up to me too...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2014, 10:37 AM
 
183 posts, read 225,923 times
Reputation: 161
I think new Yorkers easily chat each other up. Almost every other day girls come up to me to compliment my outfit, or ask me where I got my shoes etc.
It's easy here as most people in New York are from somewhere else, so you start with "where are you from" and then the conversation continues.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2014, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
15,014 posts, read 10,569,350 times
Reputation: 9133
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Same for me. I often have people sriking up conversations on the train to me.

Last week a lady working in the chemist spilled her guts to me when I was just trying to buy nurofen. Got her whole work history and issues.... People often do that to me, lol

Old people often have a chat with me, and I do say good morning if I pass them on the street still .
Sounds like my mother ! She talks to EVERYONE !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2014, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 17,769,569 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
I think new Yorkers easily chat each other up. Almost every other day girls come up to me to compliment my outfit, or ask me where I got my shoes etc.
It's easy here as most people in New York are from somewhere else, so you start with "where are you from" and then the conversation continues.
For a big city yeah, that seems the case there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2014, 11:12 AM
 
26 posts, read 27,213 times
Reputation: 24
People in Sweden are very very reserved. I use public transportation every day and I can't recall any stranger starting a conversation with me (I haven't done that either). And that being said, I travel with public transportation for 4 hours every day! I have had some guys talking to me and asking me to go out with them but they wasn't even swedish guys.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2014, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Brazil
1,237 posts, read 1,124,283 times
Reputation: 648
In Brazil the "strangers" may even give you a birthday party!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2014, 04:47 PM
 
3,196 posts, read 3,991,487 times
Reputation: 1735
I'm in New York--much more likely on the bus than on the subway, unless something happens. Today one guy yelled at another - Yo, you bumped into me WTF, and the other said - no that was you pen****. And it went on for a few minutes.

Everyone turned to each other rolling their eyes, shaking their heads and talking about what idiots the guys were.

I find that the bus can be relatively friendly. If you take it at a regular time, you tend to see the same people, so much more likely to strike up conversations for no reason. (Although I've definitely had conversations on the subway for no real reason also, but much less commonly.)

How friendly people tend to be on the street can vary by neighborhood. Manhattan is just too crowded for that, but around me, there is one predominately Irish neighborhood, and is the friendliest that I've encountered here.

Last edited by yodel; 06-17-2014 at 05:04 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2014, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,661 posts, read 78,673,623 times
Reputation: 36341
In Newfoundland, it is impossible to get people to stop talking to you. Everybody talks to everybody all the time. If you go out of the house, you have to plan for at least an hour of idle chitchat with complete strangers before you can get back home again. Lines move very slowly in the bank or post office as customers chat with the service staff, but that's OK, everybody standing in line are talking to each other, too. You have to dial a phone very carefully, because if you get a wrong number, you'll have to chat that that stranger for a half hour about who it was you were trying to call, and whether they know them or not and where they're from, and who else they know from there.

You can travel there as a tourist, and never pay for a night in a hotel, just chat with somebody in the supermarket, and they'll invite you home for supper, and find a bed for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2014, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 17,769,569 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In Newfoundland, it is impossible to get people to stop talking to you. Everybody talks to everybody all the time. If you go out of the house, you have to plan for at least an hour of idle chitchat with complete strangers before you can get back home again. Lines move very slowly in the bank or post office as customers chat with the service staff, but that's OK, everybody standing in line are talking to each other, too. You have to dial a phone very carefully, because if you get a wrong number, you'll have to chat that that stranger for a half hour about who it was you were trying to call, and whether they know them or not and where they're from, and who else they know from there.

You can travel there as a tourist, and never pay for a night in a hotel, just chat with somebody in the supermarket, and they'll invite you home for supper, and find a bed for you.
Wow really, sounds a bit like some more developing nations. It's good to see that old world hospitality still exists there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top