U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 02:32 AM

147 posts, read 198,430 times

Advertisements

Probably low to medium prevalence here in urban Australia, on a global scale.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 02:51 PM

6,891 posts, read 6,519,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc32 View Post
I think only really stuck up people or *******s would ignore polite, random talk
Yes, I agree with this! But mind you, I don't think I would start a conversation with an unfriendly looking person anyway.

Here in the Canadian Prairies is quite common here depending on the people. If I am in the park walking the dog, most other dog walkers would stop to talk if I passed by them. Even just walking randomly during evening after supper you will have others to stop to talk and say "nice evening today" and so on. Out of the city in the country you will guaranteed be stopped by someone to talk.

I remember when I was in Florida walking the beach there were quite a few people who came up randomly to chat, asking where I am from etc. One older couple I was talking to for an hour because they went on and on and on about places they have traveled and where they lived.

For public transportation I find it depends on the area of the city, some areas you will mostly only see unfriendly looking people while the nicer areas people are more open.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:11 PM

4,120 posts, read 5,039,928 times
In my area of Scotland people talk to strangers all the time, on the bus, in shops, walking down the street.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:45 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,230,950 times
A stranger talked to me today. Almost fell out of my seat in shock.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:09 AM

56,734 posts, read 45,020,675 times
Here in Texas random strangers talk to other random strangers all the time - it's not considered weird at all. Strangers strike up conversations in the grocery store or post office line, at the cash register just about anywhere, with people sitting next to them at sporting events, etc.

I like it that way.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:38 AM

4,120 posts, read 5,039,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here in Texas random strangers talk to other random strangers all the time - it's not considered weird at all. Strangers strike up conversations in the grocery store or post office line, at the cash register just about anywhere, with people sitting next to them at sporting events, etc.

I like it that way.
Me too!

Old 08-14-2014, 08:34 PM

7,652 posts, read 16,399,003 times
It's common to greet somebody, if you say, pass them on the sidewalk here. It's also common not to, especially when the interaction would be between different sexes of the same age. I personally avoid making eye contact as much as possible, but when greeted, I am friendly and reciprocate the favor.

In rural Minnesota, it's common to wave to pedestrians and cyclists walking/riding on the minor roads. At least that's been my experience.

In St. Louis, Missouri and Fargo, North Dakota, talking to strangers seems much more common. I feel the males and older females are being very friendly, and younger women are flirting with me, though it is probably just the hospitable nature of the people.

North of the border in Winnipeg people seem equally polite and more aloof then people here.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:54 PM

9,011 posts, read 8,997,737 times
I talk to strangers all the time-
especially if they look like they're not from here, lol

Old 08-14-2014, 09:56 PM

14,789 posts, read 15,112,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I talk to strangers all the time-
especially if they look like they're not from here, lol
same, or more likely they talk to me all the time

lol

Old 08-14-2014, 09:57 PM

9,011 posts, read 8,997,737 times
^^^ Lol they do approach me usually first
People from other countries are so much happier than Americans-
Lots of times their enthusiasm is contagious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World