Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 03:52 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i was thinking in terms of wage rates specifically , i have relatives in canada , the uk and australia , canada would have been viewed as a higher wage payer amongst my extended family than australia prior to the nineties , its like australia really took off once china became an economic giant

i stress that i wasnt implying australia and canada were ever apart like germany and greece in terms of wealth
The 1950s and 60s were certainly boom times for the Australian economy; huge foreign demand for agricultural commodities, industries created in war-time kick starting a surge in manufacturing, large waves of European immigration fuelling domestic demand.

The mid 70s to mid 80s were definitely a flat spot, but they prompted the economic reforms of the mid to late 80s that triggered Australia's current boom period that probably started in the early 90s. One of the key reforms was compulsory superannuation (retirement saving) - it created a large pool of privately held funds available for investment. The China-triggered 'resources boom' only kicked in in the mid 2000s, and it was very a two sided phenomenon. I think a lot of folk would argue that its negative impacts on other sectors of the economy outweighed the benefits it created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 04:36 PM

96 posts, read 124,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
In terns of the first industrialised nation it was Britain.

BBC History - Why the Industrial Revolution happened in Britain
And it's funny that whenever I mention Industrial Revolution to Americans, they automatically think of their own version of it. And some even ask "was there an Industrial Revolution in UK too?"

Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
And the most common definition is...?
According to Wikipedia, the term "first world" came into use during the Cold War. The U.S. used it to refer to market economy democracies such as the U.S. itself, and its close allies. The "second world" was the USSR and the countries behind the Iron Curtain. Unindustrialized countries were the "third world".

Old 06-14-2014, 09:53 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
According to Wikipedia, the term "first world" came into use during the Cold War. The U.S. used it to refer to market economy democracies such as the U.S. itself, and its close allies. The "second world" was the USSR and the countries behind the Iron Curtain. Unindustrialized countries were the "third world".
Of course these terms 'first world', 'second world', 'third world', are outdated.
What makes more sense today is calling the countries as developed, developing and underdeveloped. And even this classification is problematic, since it's based on western concepts.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:24 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Yes, third world countries like Finland, Sweden, Switzerland and Austria were really unidustrialised.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:14 PM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Of course these terms 'first world', 'second world', 'third world', are outdated.
What makes more sense today is calling the countries as developed, developing and underdeveloped. And even this classification is problematic, since it's based on western concepts.
Yeah, people don't realize how insulting it is to tell a person that their country is third world or underdeveloped.

Unfortunately, there are too many countries in the world for which this description is apt.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:01 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, third world countries like Finland, Sweden, Switzerland and Austria were really unidustrialised.
Those countries were all still free market economies with democratic governments, so I'm pretty sure they were considered "first world" (even though they weren't allies of the U.S. in the sense of being members of NATO or anything of that sort).

The categories are problematic, even looking at the condition of the world in the 1950s or 1960s.

The reasoning for the categories is obsolete now, going by the Wikipedia definition.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:45 PM

471 posts, read 621,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Using the most common (if not precise) definition?

I'd say the US probably by the 1940s

Australia and Canada slightly after

UK, West Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, Scandinavia by the 60s

France, Japan, Northern Italy, Ireland by the early 70s

Singapore and Hong Kong by the late 70s

Spain and the rest of Italy by the 80s

Czech Republic, South Korea and Taiwan by the early 90s

Chile by the 00s

Countries on the cusp include Hungary, Malaysia.

A bit further away, the likes of China, Thailand, maybe even Brazil, Russia.etc.
Is the U.S. a first world country? I see a lot of rich people, poor people, and almost no middle class.

Last edited by MiamiResident; 06-15-2014 at 02:53 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yeah, people don't realize how insulting it is to tell a person that their country is third world or underdeveloped.

Unfortunately, there are too many countries in the world for which this description is apt.
Well, as a brazilian, I never fell insulted when someone states that the country is third world. Since the kindergarten we learn to deal with this. And sincerely I don't imagine Brazil as a developed country, in any time in the future. People here have little interest in politics, most are convicted that all politicians are corrupt and they will never change, and the most influent politicians still have ideas of the early 20th century.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
Is the U.S. a first world country? I see a lot of rich people, poor people, and almost no middle class.
Do the poor americans suffer of famine and live in slums?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World