Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 07:27 AM

401 posts, read 646,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Paris metro system....it's definitely super extensive and convenient, you can reach pretty much every spot in Paris(and the surrounding towns) by using it, but it's also super dirty and filled with the smell of pee. The trains were like ovens in July as there was no AC. There was no internet connection either. Oh and the trains don't always tell you the names of the stops. Not user-friendly enough imo. I mean how are blind people supposed to do with it? Or the physically-challenged?
And Gare du Nord was such a nightmare, omg.

I guess I'm just used to our MRT where everything is clean, AC is always on, free wifi is accessible in every station and the staffs are always helpful to the blind or those in wheelchairs.
Well I cannot disagree entirely ... No AC but the AC would be useful only a month a year ... smell of pee, yeah but that's because of the homeless ... and it doesn't smell like pee everywhere just here and there at a few stations.
No free wifi sure, but there is 4G access on certain lines.
Trains don't tell you the names of the stops (except lines 1 and 14) but just look through the window you can always easily read the name of the station. Could be much better I have to agree.
Blind people don't use the metro ... you have to understand the metro opened in 1900 not 1996 like in Taiwan. So yeah at the time they didn't think much of the blind and physically-challenged.

Gare du Nord is the worst station in Paris (Chatelet is quite bad too) but that's one of the busiest in the world ... but why were you at Gare du Nord in the first place ? People go there to take trains to the northern suburbs or trains to Northern France/Northern European countries, it's not a place a tourist should go I think.

Last edited by ryever; 12-28-2014 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 07:42 AM

401 posts, read 646,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
It might be extensive in the Centre of Paris but it's not that extensive as a whole, with 133 miles of track compared with London Undergrounds 250 miles plus, and as I have already pointed out in previous posts London has lots of other stations relating to the DLR, Trams and Rail.

Comparing Two European Public Transports- The Tube and the Metro

London generally has a very good transport system even if one poster did have to walk 15 minutes to the tube station in Southwark as there wasn't a tube station conveniently on his front door step, although I am sure there are regular buses linking up with the tube station. Then again a good walk never did anyone any harm in fact quite the opposite and cities are encouraging more people to walk and cycle with new cycle ways planned as a means to stave off obesity.
I already answered you on that 133miles vs 250miles, you're not taking into acount the RER/Transilien/Tramway so the comparison in length is pointless, for example the tube goes to Heathrow whereas the metro doesn't even come close to the CDG Airport, you have to use the RER instead ... In short the Paris metro lines don't serve the suburbs whereas the tube lines serve what a Parisian would consider suburbs (or should I say "la Banlieue") in London.

Now yes it wasn't that bad walking to the station but that was just an example to show that the London tube could be more extensive than what it already is, and overall what I meant is that in Paris you have so many stations that you don't even have to look for them they're everywhere whereas in London you have to know where they are and even in Central London it takes some time reaching them, which makes the Paris metro more efficient IMO, not the the London tube is bad, the trains and stations are much cleaner etc

Old 12-28-2014, 07:53 AM

1,330 posts, read 2,591,779 times
But there is a big suburban network, smaller than London one in the number of km but still very efficient (it carries more people everyday). Paris has also build many light rail line to cover gaps.
Paris has the busiest metro and suburban rail network in the European Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Paris metro system....it's definitely super extensive and convenient, you can reach pretty much every spot in Paris(and the surrounding towns) by using it, but it's also super dirty and filled with the smell of pee. The trains were like ovens in July as there was no AC. There was no internet connection either. Oh and the trains don't always tell you the names of the stops. Not user-friendly enough imo. I mean how are blind people supposed to do with it? Or the physically-challenged?
And Gare du Nord was such a nightmare, omg.
There are 2G, 3G and 4G in Paris metro. While the 2G was installed over a decade ago, some issues with phones companies have slowed down the installation of 3G and 4G.

Paris metro stations are too old and too complex to be wheelchairs friendly, we would have to rebuilt so many stations and trains are quite narrow.
That's why we adapted the RER and that all buses are gap free.

There are plenty of blind people using the metro with no problem.
New trains have AC.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,177,863 times
The difference seems like the Paris metro covers the most urban parts of the metro (city + a few inner suburbs) very well. London's goes further out, but the network isn't as dense and the stop spacing is large; and the RER would cover equivalent parts of London in Paris. There isn't that much obvious difference to me between the London Underground and some of the mainline rail lines in outer London to me; seems like the difference is lower frequency (but some mainline rail lines have near rapid transit frequencies) and they don't through-run (except for Thameslink and soon Crossrail).

The NYC subway is different from either. It extends further out than the Paris metro like the London Underground, but in many of the areas it does cover out of the city center the stop spacing is small and the network is dense. Past the limit of the subway, the rail coverage and frequency is much worse than London or Paris. No clue which has better buses, though NYC is the worst in the suburbs.

Subway systems at the same scale / Fake is the new real

Old 12-28-2014, 12:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 8,348,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
Well I cannot disagree entirely ... No AC but the AC would be useful only a month a year ... smell of pee, yeah but that's because of the homeless ... and it doesn't smell like pee everywhere just here and there at a few stations.
No free wifi sure, but there is 4G access on certain lines.
Trains don't tell you the names of the stops (except lines 1 and 14) but just look through the window you can always easily read the name of the station. Could be much better I have to agree.
Blind people don't use the metro ... you have to understand the metro opened in 1900 not 1996 like in Taiwan. So yeah at the time they didn't think much of the blind and physically-challenged.

Gare du Nord is the worst station in Paris (Chatelet is quite bad too) but that's one of the busiest in the world ... but why were you at Gare du Nord in the first place ? People go there to take trains to the northern suburbs or trains to Northern France/Northern European countries, it's not a place a tourist should go I think.
Yeah I get that, just that I'm not used to it.

I was about to visit somewhere else(Chantilly iirc), so I had to go to Gare du Nord. And since it's a huge station, I had to change trains there as well in some days.
I was also in Gare de l'Est and that other one(can't remember the name), they were much much tamer compared to Gare du Nord, and yes, Chatelet was a terrible station, ew.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:16 PM

2,739 posts, read 3,149,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
I already answered you on that 133miles vs 250miles, you're not taking into acount the RER/Transilien/Tramway so the comparison in length is pointless, for example the tube goes to Heathrow whereas the metro doesn't even come close to the CDG Airport, you have to use the RER instead ... In short the Paris metro lines don't serve the suburbs whereas the tube lines serve what a Parisian would consider suburbs (or should I say "la Banlieue") in London.
And your not taking in to account the vast London Transport System and the fact that the majority of suburbia is covered by local rail stations that connect trains to the vast array of London Stations.

Systems such as regional railways including Thameslink and London Overground, Crossrail and Crossrail 2 are not counted in London Underground's 250 miles of track, however the fact remains that the London Underground System has substantially more track than the Paris Metro.

Furthermore in terms of London airports the quickest way to get to them is to use the Heathrow Express, Gatwick Express, Standsted Express etc rather than the Underground (Tube). Whilst Heathrow will be connected to Crossrail from 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever
Now yes it wasn't that bad walking to the station but that was just an example to show that the London tube could be more extensive than what it already is, and overall what I meant is that in Paris you have so many stations that you don't even have to look for them they're everywhere whereas in London you have to know where they are and even in Central London it takes some time reaching them, which makes the Paris metro more efficient IMO, not the the London tube is bad, the trains and stations are much cleaner etc
London currently has over 270 Tube Stations with a further six to be constructed around Battersea, there are also a further 45 Docklands Light Railway Stations and a further 39 stations in relation to the South London Tramlink.

So overall Paris doesn't have that many more stations, the difference being it has more stations in relation to a lot less track, not that it is somehow a more extensive system than the Tube.

London Rail Commuting Stations and Lines (not including London Underground (Tube) or Crossrail 1 (2017))

Link

London Rail & Underground Network

Link

Last edited by Bamford; 12-28-2014 at 01:42 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 01:36 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,944,871 times
Quote:
London currently has over 270 Tube Stations with a further six to be constructed around Battersea, there are also a further 45 Docklands Light Railway Stations and a further 39 stations in relation to the South London Tramlink.

So overall Paris doesn't have that many more stations, the difference being it has more stations in relation to a lot less track, not that it is somehow a more extensive system than the Tube.

London Rail Commuting (not Underground)
If you take into account the Metro, Transilien, RER and tramway like ryever said, the system in Paris is indeed far more extensive. Most parts of South West and South London are not covered and some parts of West London:

But then again, the bus system is very good in London

Old 12-28-2014, 01:37 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
If you take into account the Metro, Transilien, RER and tramway like ryever said, the system in Paris is indeed far more extensive. Most parts of South West and South London are not covered and some parts of West London:
That map doesn't show many main line rail lines, see the previous post.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:

London Rail Commuting Stations and Lines (not inclusing London Underground (Tube) or Crossrail (2017))
That's extensive but how frequent are those lines? Is it in the same fare system as the London Underground?

Old 12-28-2014, 01:42 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,944,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That map doesn't show many main line rail lines, see the previous post.
I know it is just the tube. The first picture in the previous post isn't just London too, only the smaller part in the middle is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World