Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:57 PM

7,022 posts, read 14,430,512 times

Advertisements

I've drank the tap water in the US, most Western European countries (except Italy), Hungary, and Hong Kong. The last 2 were a bit risky and I got a little sick from drinking the tap in Hong Kong (but not in Hungary.)

I also might have gotten sick from the tap in Switzerland and Germany in the beginning of my trip there but had no problem after being acclimated to the local bacteria after a while.

What's your experience with the tap water in other developed countries? (I would never drink the water in developing countries like Mexico, Russia, China, Brazil, etc.) It seems even if locals find the water safe, you might still get sick due to the different bacteria present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 01:21 PM

24,144 posts, read 24,706,169 times
If you're staying for a very short time, I don't suggest drinking foreign tap water, at least the first couple of days. Not that it wouldn't be drinkable, is as you said, the bacteria culture is so different. You'll get used to the water when eating, drinking coffee and so on, but to be on the safe side, give your body a few days to adapt. On the other hand, I've drunk three different nations' tap water during one day, from Southern to Northern Europe and a connecting flight in-between, and had no problems whatsoever.

Bottled water is certainly not very environmentally friendly, but still suggest you refrain from tap water a few days, and be especially careful in countries that are very far. Kids of course should have at least double the adjusting period.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:36 PM

4,499 posts, read 6,320,496 times
Whenever water smells like chlorine, I refrain from drinking it. So yeah... I don't drink tap water in most of Southern and Eastern Europe. Drinking tap water in Siena once ruined an entire week for me. Never again... I was also quite cautious when I visited the larger US cities, although it probably would've been safe to drink some.
I drank small amounts of tap water during my time in Hong Kong. Usually when I went out the night before and didn't want to go to 7-Eleven to buy some drinks. Didn't taste good, but never got sick.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:59 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,514,992 times
Kind of unrelated, but whatever. I seldom get sick from eating anything, and I like to think my immune system is pretty great, so when I arrived in Mexico City last spring I came in guns blazing and eating and drinking everything that might have had tap water or uncooked veg in it.

Two days later, worst digestion issues of my life.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:03 PM

3,574 posts, read 3,793,016 times
Only time i've had problem drinking tap water in an I-country was in Barcelona. Not because it was dangerous (it was chlorided) but it tasted disgusting.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:05 PM

230 posts, read 341,637 times
Sweden has some of the cleanest tap water, they drink from the pipe. I think other Nordic countries do also, but I am not sure.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:09 PM

3,574 posts, read 3,793,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Malone View Post
Sweden has some of the cleanest tap water, they drink from the pipe. I think other Nordic countries do also, but I am not sure.

yupp, thats true. same goes for finland and norway. guess it has to do with the abundance of fresh-water lakes. are around 100 000 of them here in sweden atleast.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 22 hours ago)

43,380 posts, read 44,106,416 times
I have drunk tap water in the USA, several Western European countries and in Israel without having any problems.

When I was in Ecuador I drank only boiled tap water or bottled water. In China I only drank bottled water.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,121,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
...What's your experience with the tap water in other developed countries? ...
Sure I drink it.

And for my fussy British and American guests who want to drink only bottled water I am happy to oblige. I bring out a nice bottle of water that comes straight from my kitchen tap into an old spring water bottle that I keep for these special occasions. No one has gotten sick.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
I drink tapwater in UNdeveloped countries, mostly. Some I don't, but just about everywhere in Latin America. Everywhere in Mexico, the tapwater is good. I think everywhere in Southeast Asia, too, as I recall. There are a few places where I do not, in low-lying jungle areas that have a lot of flooding. It is safe to drink water right out of the Amazon River.

I got sick a few times, but very likely not from the tapwater, bur from improperly handled food or maybe even doorknobs.

Most undeveloped countries where people drink bottled water, the reason is heavy metals and other chemicals, not pathogens. But you'd have to drink it all your life in order to build up enough of those impurities to have any health effects. So most Mexicans drink bottled water. But a temporary visitor doesn't need to worry about the impurities in the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World