Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 05:42 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Maybe, I would hope we could both share some good food.

Possibly..

We have some fine Malaysian restaurants in New Mexico, U.S.A like "StreetFood Asia". The owner Tai Tok was born and raised in Malaysia. Drop by if you are in the Albuquerque area: Street Food Asia - Asian Food Albuquerque, Asian Fusion, Asian Restaurant
I was in NM but not the ABQ. Of course Malaysian was the last thing on my mind, in the US I wanted to try as much local food as possible, and in Santa Fe had some excellent NM style Mexican/American . But if I'm ever in ABQ I might check it out anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 06:17 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Bl
Plus we have a lot of actual Africans from Africa who bring their culture. In how many cities can you find places dominated by Ethiopian and Sudanese restaurants?
A lot of places have Ethopian or Eritrean(or Somalian) restaurants... Cites like Portland and Seattle and Minneapolis all have a good number of East African restaurants and markets from various ethnic groups from the region(despite being known as among the less diverse cities/metros in the US).

Old 06-20-2014, 06:32 PM

<snip>

Both the US and Australia as immigrant nations are fairly diverse. I don't know if either one is the best nation in the world for food though, so who cares...

And a few of the best places to eat in the US aren't even neccesarily the most stastically diverse anyways(though they might have a diverse history in other ways)...

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-21-2014 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 06-20-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
So Perth is about as Asian as Seattle or St. Paul, Minnesota--in your estimates. Isn't Perth the 3rd or 4th largest city in Australia? So it's roughly a little more important(and probably more international than a similar sized metro in the US) to begin with. Excluding cities "not in California, near the Mexican or Canadian border, South Florida, or the Northeast" is basically cutting out almost all of the major cities of the US(and you forgot about diverse Texas).

Both the US and Australia as immigrant nations are fairly diverse. I don't know if either one is the best nation in the world for food though, so who cares...

And a few of the best places to eat in the US aren't the most stastically diverse anyways...
OP's question title was misleading. Best and most diverse are different. You can have excellent cuisine in Italy or India or Thailand but it's not that diverse.

As for quality, Melbourne is good.

Most of the food i had in the US was good, but we wanted to try as much American food as possible. Of course it's a lot more than fast food, but trying all the fast food chains was part of the fun too.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
OP's question title was misleading. Best and most diverse are different. You can have excellent cuisine in Italy or India or Thailand but it's not that diverse.

As for quality, Melbourne is good.

Most of the food i had in the US was good, but we wanted to try as much American food as possible. Of course it's a lot more than fast food, but trying all the fast food chains was part of the fun too.
You can travel across large portions of the US and the food won't be that memorable(or maybe it is if you're not from here). I haven't eaten most fast food for years since I was a kid. There's a lot of chain places everywhere that have ruined a lot of towns along the interstate or the smaller towns..

If you know where you're going and do research and find more interesting places--even outside the big major cities with more diverse offerings. But I'd say that places in the Southwest and South have the more interesting sort of regional food styles that are more unique to the US. But travelling around the Rocky Mountains or Midwest you can eat well, but there's not a lot of unique local stuff(for the most part, though there's some things in parts of the Midwest and the West Coast has some dishes that are unique to certain areas).

Last edited by Deezus; 06-20-2014 at 06:58 PM..

Old 06-20-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You can travel across large portions of the US and the food won't be that memorable(or maybe it is if you're not from here). I haven't eaten most fast food for years since I was a kid. There's a lot of chain places everywhere that have ruined a lot of towns along the interstate or the smaller towns..

If you know where you're going and do research and find more interesting places--even outside the big major cities with more diverse offerings. But I'd say that places in the Southwest and South have the more interesting sort of regional food styles that are more unique to the US. But travelling around the Rocky Mountains or Midwest you can eat well, but there's not a lot of unique local stuff(for the most part, though there's some things in parts of the Midwest and the West Coast has some dishes that are unique to certain areas).
Some of the highlights during my 21 day trip from LA to NY, and Boston:

Cheap Mexican at cantinas in LA, really good Japanese in Little Tokyo, being introduced to mochi ice cream

Trying Philly cheese for the first time in Santa Monica of all places

Eating at one of the oldest Mexican restaurants in Old Town, San Diego (opened about 1920)

Fish tacos and these cook cocktail things in a restaurant in San Diego

International buffet in Las Vegas

Classic Southern-style American breakfast at the Grand Canyon, including cheese grits, chicken-fried steak, breakfast burritos, eggs rancheros etc...also Wendy's

New Mexican style cuisine in Santa Fe, lots of green peppers

Funnel cake at a drive through in Lubbock, TX

Texas style BBQ at a famous joint in Austin with all the sides

Eating 3 horrible tacos for $1 at Jack in the Box in Houston

New Orleans: many highlights here, you can imagine

Sonic's in Mississippi

Gus' fried chicken in Memphis, sometimes lauded as the 'world's best', good but I wouldn't go that far...generous sides

Chicken and dumplings at Cracker Barrell somewhere in either TN or western VA

A pretty good soul food place in DC. Also had dumplings in DC Chinatown

New York: pizza, pastrami on rye, Hebrew national hot dog, pretzels. A really good hole in the wall Mexican in Brooklyn. Dominican/Cuban food in Brooklyn too.

Boston: Clam chowder, haddock pie, ate a pretty good steak there too, and the Italian is pretty good

Old 06-20-2014, 10:25 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Well I guess the USA is, since it is the no. 1 Emigrant country in the world so it has emigrants from different sides of the world.
How I wish South American cuisines are also common in Asia.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:20 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensivecarebear View Post
This is hilarious comparing a country of 300 million + people to other countries in the world. The U.S. has some of the greatest wealth in the world, and if you have the money you can get almost anything.
Unfortunately the first majority of Americans eat inferior quality produce, overly processed food that has the minimal nutritional value, as well as high fructose corn syrup in the majority of products, and couldn't tell the difference between cilantro and celery if they're lives depended on it.
I live in Colombia, and on every street corner you can find fresh produce, doesn't matter if the neighborhood is poor or rich, and most of the produce is grown in the country and minimally processed. You can see it in the Colombian people: they tend to have better physiques and overall health compared to Americans, and the majority are much poorer. Everywhere I go I can find fresh cilantro (how many Americans have even heard of cilantro? hehe), tropical fruits, lettuce, different varieties of onions, tomatoes, bags of a dozen fresh oranges that cost about 2 dollars. You can get fresh-squeezed juices from hundreds of street carts here in Bogota.

So for me it doesn't matter that less than 1 percent of Americans have access to trendy Malaysian or Vietnamese restaurants and ethnic eateries, I know from plenty of experience living in the states that the vast majority of Americans eat second-rate food that's processed and hormone-injected, in spite of our country being "superior". Just go to the average American city and look around you! We're the fattest and unhealthiest developed country in the world by a huge margin. The majority of American cities are "food deserts", and no the yuppie Whole Foods with 5 dollar tomatoes doesn't make up for that.

Quality beats quantity hands down. Some people really need to leave the U.S. and broaden their perspective. It gets really annoying when Americans think they are the best at everything.
Vietnamese restaurants are quite common in the U.S., as well as cheap. Malaysian restaurants are rarer, but most major and provincial large cities have them.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:38 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower
I feel it's safe to say that our country has the best food in the world.
This has gotta be a joke!!!!!

THIS COUNTRY HAS THE WORST FOOD...... All these bad things in food that are banned everywhere else.... (Aspertame,etc)

The GOVT telling people to remove fat,sodium and sugar resulting in CRAPPY TASTING product.. (And possible health issues... OUR BODIES NEED AN ADEQUATE AMOUNT OF FAT and SODIUM everyday to properly stay maintained!!)

I think you are quite misinformed!!!!!

Old 06-21-2014, 04:16 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
I've heard that the quality of 'some' of the USA's food is terrible, there are preservatives used in 'some' of the USA's food that are banned in other developed nations because they are dangerous and the 'spray' on cheese is legendary! But like everywhere else I'm sure there is good and bad food there, don't tell the French but its impossible for any country to claim they have the 'worlds best food'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World