Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 10:12 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergodela View Post
Oh please give it up, the USA has the most diverse cities in this world, Sydney and Melbourne cant compete you can do the exact same to the USA.

Take a look at this, can any city in the world compete with this?
Oakland
27% Black
25% White
24% Hispanic
17% Asian
3% Two or more races

I haven't look up the Sydney stats but Im guessing its something like this
Sydney
70% White
28% Asian
1% Hispanic
1% Black
It might not even be 1% for Hispanic and black.
Let's not forget that Hispanics aren't a homogenous group. Argentinian cuisine it's a world different than Mexican, Cuban or Peruvian cuisines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 10:15 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Other countries sure seem to like our Fast Food restaurants but deny it at the same time saying "oh its for the tourist"
Last year when I went to Naples, I've had the chance to try pizza there. And this is going to sound awful, but I didn't like it. I've found it bland and tasteless. I guess I'm so used to Domino's or Pizza Hut that the real pizza didn't do much for me.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,539 times
Interesting. I find British food far better than advertised. And London has so much choice! But personal opinion, Paris just has something noone else can replicate. Remarkable food.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:17 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Generally yes. The United States overall has the best and broadest range of food, all over the country actually.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:18 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
Oh please, now this is just down right stupid. HAVING MINORITY RACES DOES NOT EQUAL DIVERSITY. Having statistics of people's skin color is only so akin to what diversity actually is. Diversity is having people of, not only different races, but different ethnicities, different religion and speaking different languages. The United States is predominantly English speaking with a Spanish minority. People are mostly Christian. People are either white, African American or Latino for the most part. They are assimilated in the sense where they often share many similar cultural norms. THIS IS NOT DIVERSITY.

Look up those "white people" in Sydney. Wanna take a wager how many are from Eastern Europe? Balkans? Direct Italian immigrants? Nordics? Each of those areas has different countries that offer different cultural experiences. Having those represented in your area is what counts for diversity. This is where many other countries and cities beat us. Please try to understand this. Outside of New York, the USA is not as incredibly diverse as you think it is.

Try stepping into India, the actual most diverse country in the world, and tell me that USA is the most diverse again.
This. I think a lot of Americans get too caught up in skin colour as 'diversity'

Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 AM

131 posts, read 168,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Let's not forget that Hispanics aren't a homogenous group. Argentinian cuisine it's a world different than Mexican, Cuban or Peruvian cuisines.
That wasnt what I was saying, I wasn't even talking about food which is actually off topic

Old 06-20-2014, 10:23 AM

131 posts, read 168,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
This. I think a lot of Americans get too caught up in skin colour as 'diversity'
That is diversity though, no way to go around it.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:26 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
Depends on the taste of each person.
I personally dislike most of foods associated to USA.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:27 AM

293 posts, read 317,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergodela View Post
That is diversity though, no way to go around it.
Not necessarily. Please read my previous posts. Diversity reflects the different cultural offerings different groups bring to a country. It often revolves around ethnicity. For example, a region with more whites that come from a wide variety of different ethnicities is more diverse than a region with a larger share of blacks if they are similar to the whites. (Speak same language, same culture, etc)

The fact you don't seem to understand this amazes me.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:34 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Other countries sure seem to like our Fast Food restaurants but deny it at the same time saying "oh its for the tourist"
Plenty of people here like American fast food, which is why we're becoming so fat and out of shape.

PS - I love it when people start quoting ethnicity statistics as if it means anything. Oh, so your city is only 25% white? Congratulations, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World