Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favourite palace/castle?
Windsor Castle, Windsor, UK 4 10.81%
Buckingham Palace, London, UK 2 5.41%
Palace of Versaille, Versaille, France 5 13.51%
Neuschwanstein Castle, Schwangau, Germany 8 21.62%
Charlottenberg Palace, Berlin, Germany 0 0%
Schonbrunn Palace, Vienna, Austria 2 5.41%
Doge’s Palace, Venice, Italy 1 2.70%
Palace at Caserta, Caserta, Italy 2 5.41%
Palacio Real de Madrid, Madrid, Spain 2 5.41%
The Alhambra, Granada, Spain 3 8.11%
Sansoucci, Potsdam, Germany 0 0%
Winter Palace, St. Petersburg, Russia 1 2.70%
Topkapi Palace, Istanbul, Turkey 0 0%
Amba Vilas (Palace at Mysore), Mysore, India 0 0%
Umaid Palace, Jodhpur, India 0 0%
Forbidden City, Beijing, China 2 5.41%
Summer Palace, Beijing, China 0 0%
Gyeongbokgung, Seoul, South Korea 0 0%
Potala Palace, Lhasa, Tibet/China 0 0%
Imperial Palace, Tokyo, Japan 1 2.70%
Himeji Castle, Himeji, Japan 2 5.41%
Angkor Wat, Cambodia 0 0%
Royal Palace, Bangkok, Thailand 2 5.41%
Purple Forbidden City/Citadel, Hue, Vietnam 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 05:34 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,172,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
According to the link the cult film House of Whipcord (1974) was filmed here. I've seen the film a few years ago but didn't know that it was actually shot on location at this infamous place. Interesting.
It's quite a famous location due to the fact that there is a lot of unexplained paranormal activity at the old jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 11:35 AM

8,877 posts, read 8,490,738 times
I recommend Chantilly here.It's close to Paris,and absolutely gorgeous.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:29 PM

4,238 posts, read 4,496,369 times
Have been to a few on this list, of them I'd say Schonbrunn & Charlottenburg I liked the most - more than Doge's Palace in Venice.

Others I've actually been to: Budapest, Wawel Castle (Krakow), Malbork (Poland), Kadroig (Tallinn, Estonia - Catherine the great's summer palace), Prague (the largest), Sforza (Milan), and few others (Riga, Vilnius mostly remnants). For some the complex is overwhelming, while others like Kadroig Palace in Tallinn the scale is much more personable with beautiful gardens.

From strictly a photographic setting, Mont St Michel is most spectacular. Also the photogenic ruins of Spis Castle in Slovakia has been used for many films - very haunting quality.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:11 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,361,717 times
I'm lost in translation here Isn't the building on Mont St. Michel an abbey/church? Or are structures with strong walls generally referred to as castles?

Old 07-15-2014, 03:16 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,172,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I'm lost in translation here Isn't the building on Mont St. Michel an abbey/church? Or are structures with strong walls generally referred to as castles?
Most castles and fortifications had religious connections, and are best summed up by Sir Sir Walter Scott's words about Durham:

Grey towers of Durham
Yet well I love thy mixed and massive piles
Half church of God, half castle ‘gainst the Scot
And long to roam these venerable aisles
With records stored of deeds long since forgot

link

Old 07-16-2014, 09:39 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,234,559 times
Quote:
The Catherine/Pushkin Palace in St. Petersburg was probably the most impressive European palace I've seen and probably the most impressive overall.

As for Austrian palaces: I never liked Schönbrunn. The colour of the building sucks. The palace grounds is what makes it pretty awesome, though. Overall I prefer the Hofburg and Belvedere in Vienna.
This^

The Forbidden City as a big let down for me. It was poorly maintained and pretty disrespected by the public. It's been a while since I was there. Maybe it's improved since then?

I think that the entire Acropolis needs a nod here too, even though it's a ruin.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:16 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,151,357 times
Quote:
Mont St-Michel has remparts and a few defensive features but I have never heard of it as a "castle".

Old 07-19-2014, 06:40 AM

313 posts, read 533,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This^

The Forbidden City as a big let down for me. It was poorly maintained and pretty disrespected by the public. It's been a while since I was there. Maybe it's improved since then?

I think that the entire Acropolis needs a nod here too, even though it's a ruin.
Was only there briefly because we were part of a cheap local tour (but didn't mind too much as it was freezing), but yeah, I didn't get to appreciate it that much, it's still cool though. I prefer the Summer Palace myself though.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:15 PM

8,877 posts, read 8,490,738 times
So Chantilly

The garden is also pretty amazing

I'm a really bad photographer though,they look much better with your own eyes.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:23 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,691,549 times
The Alhambra for me.
Just look at it
https://www.google.com/search?q=alha...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World