Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:03 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,825,861 times

Advertisements

Happy Independence Day to our US friends !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 06:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Thank you! Our family always enjoys this day. Usually we're pretty health conscious, especially in our eating habits, but today we're going to be very bad. After all, I think our forefathers fought for independence from England so that we would have the liberty to eat BBQ and drink beer without onerous taxation!

No tea for me today!

Old 07-04-2014, 06:30 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,642 times
Wow thanks singaporelady!

Old 07-04-2014, 07:06 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,162,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you! Our family always enjoys this day. Usually we're pretty health conscious, especially in our eating habits, but today we're going to be very bad. After all, I think our forefathers fought for independence from England so that we would have the liberty to eat BBQ and drink beer without onerous taxation!

No tea for me today!
LOL - over one third of the British force were German Hessian Mercenaries, as Britain a Naval Power didn't have many troops at her disposal.

Hessians | George Washington's Mount Vernon

Old 07-04-2014, 07:29 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
LOL - over one third of the British force were German Hessian Mercenaries, as Britain a Naval Power didn't have many troops at her disposal.

A bit touchy today?

Old 07-04-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:

And about 5000 of those Hessians remained in the US after the war and became American citizens.

Politics makes strange bedfellows.

But it wasn't the Germans who surrendered at Yorktown, now was it? Don't get all touchy about it though - Many Americans, myself included, feel quite affectionate toward the British.

Little aside note - my family has been in what is now the US since the 1600s. In the Revolutionary War, my ancestors fought on both sides - as revolutionaries and as Tories. Most of them lost everything, regardless of which side they chose. But it all worked out fine in the end. None of my known ancestors died fighting in the Revolutionary War that I know of, and they went on to rebuild their lives and homes - even the Tories.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:38 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,825,861 times
It is amazing how the topics on this thread have changed from US independence day to German ?

Old 07-04-2014, 07:38 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,162,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And about 5000 of those Hessians remained in the US after the war and became American citizens.

Politics makes strange bedfellows.

But it wasn't the Germans who surrendered at Yorktown, now was it?
A lot of the soldiers at Yorktown were German, at least a third

Yorktown order of battle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In terms of the War, the US was paying less taxes than people in Britain at the time and part the deterioration of relations between Britain and her American colonies - which eventually led to the War of Independence - stemmed from a logical British attempt to make the colonies contribute more to the cost of their own defence. The US was not really over taxed by Britain.

BBC - History - British History in depth: The American War of Independence: The Rebels and the Redcoats

Still Happy Independence Day

PS - quite ironic that Americans now pay nearly half the worlds defence costs - LOL

Old 07-04-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
A lot of the soldiers at Yorktown were German, at least a third

Yorktown order of battle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah but it was Cornwallis who surrendered formally. You know - the British general.

I've stood in that exact place where this went down. It's a beautiful spot overlooking the York River. Yorktown and the nearby battlefield is worth visiting. It seems filled with ghosts and you can walk along the fortifications in the battlefield -it's amazing that those dirt fortifications are still there.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:

In terms of the War, the US was paying less taxes than people in Britain at the time and Britain merely wanted to charge the US for it's own defence.

BBC - History - British History in depth: The American War of Independence: The Rebels and the Redcoats
Thanks but no thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World