Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:45 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Yeah, either Florida or someplace damp and miserable like Seattle or someplace that they think is cultured, like Boston.

I love Washington state and New England but I am highly unusual amongst people in Britain , the vast majority of whom only like hot places with sunshine all year around .

Most Brits I know don't even know about the Pacific North-West or even New England. It's not on their radar at all. No big theme parks, no endless beaches and not enough sun for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 11:47 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
I sense you're a bit critical of their choices. Am I right? If so, where would you suggest instead? It's funny many Brits like Florida considering they easily burn in the sun. It's not exactly ideal in that regard. Then on the other hand one must remember the population of Australia is predominantly from the British Isles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Yeah, either Florida or someplace damp and miserable like Seattle or someplace that they think is cultured, like Boston.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:50 PM

49 posts, read 380,524 times
In my line of work, I've met many Brits who have immigrated to various parts of Southern California (usually in the 'burbs in and around LA). As for US Americans going out, I really don't know too many...most of the ones I've known have emigrated to Japan (that being because I minored in East Asian Languages/Cultures - Japanese, so everyone was pretty much moving there). Now that I'm older and have been living in a smaller, family oriented town, not too many are even willing to leave (well, most are from there and have entire families living in the same town...it's the same with my home town in Oklahoma-people only leave for vacation and not emigration).

I myself am choosing to emigrate to Australia and when I went in for my chest x-ray was told that a number of people in Cali are emigrating there and Canada...so I guess, Australia and Canada are where a lot of SoCals are going.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:51 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
So Ideally most of you want to go to NY, Chicago, LA, or the Bay Area. I'm not surprised... i really wish the diversity wouldn't be all concentrated in those cities though .
I'm still cerious though so you can keep on answering. I actually heard Houston is the big rage among Pakistanis.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:18 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
It also depends on social class where Brits holiday. Britain is after all not only divided between north and south, but also very much along class lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

Most Brits I know don't even know about the Pacific North-West or even New England. It's not on their radar at all. No big theme parks, no endless beaches and not enough sun for them.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:20 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
It also depends on social class where Brits holiday. Britain is after all not only divided between north and south, but also very much along class lines.
You are absolutely right. Which is why I said MOST Brits. I am always surprised every time we visit NE or go to San Francisco, Pacific North-West that we hardly ever meet any Brits on Holidays. Which is fine by me, why would I want to go on vacation where everybody else is the same as back home? !

Old 12-19-2007, 12:41 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
How does that got to do with you being from Germany? There are large cities in Germany too.

How come Carmel? I had to look up where it's located.
1. I guess I worded it not correctly enough. The question is which US cities seem most prominant to foreigners and I wanted to tell you I'm such a foreigner . I guess I didn't do it right...

2. Carmel - read about it in some books and it seemed to be interesting. Although there are other cities I read about where I'd like to go for a while...

Old 12-19-2007, 01:48 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsquire View Post
A lot of Chinese people in Taiwan think of places like the Bay Area, LA, or New York. They know of Las Vegas, but I don't think many think of living there. Most have no idea of where the other 47 states are or what they're like.

Don't you mean Taiwanese?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:15 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Don't you mean Taiwanese?
Chinese or Taiwanese ...same thing... were all Han, lol...All the mainlanders think they're superior to the Taiwanese though. Taiwan is still the Republic of CHINA. so i think they can still be addressed by Chinese, sometimes I consider myself Taiwanese because my family hated the PRC, even though My roots go back to Shanghai, Xiamen, Xi'an, and Beijing. No one in my family was even born in Taiwan, which is not true if you count all the various cousins i have which don't really count cause they're like 3rd or 4th cousins, whom i haven't even met or know their names. I still have some on the mainland as well...

Old 12-20-2007, 02:57 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Chinese or Taiwanese ...same thing... were all Han, lol...All the mainlanders think they're superior to the Taiwanese though. Taiwan is still the Republic of CHINA. so i think they can still be addressed by Chinese, sometimes I consider myself Taiwanese because my family hated the PRC, even though My roots go back to Shanghai, Xiamen, Xi'an, and Beijing. No one in my family was even born in Taiwan, which is not true if you count all the various cousins i have which don't really count cause they're like 3rd or 4th cousins, whom i haven't even met or know their names. I still have some on the mainland as well...

Interesting. I agree, of course, Han Chinese make up the majority in both Taiwan and China so they are ethnically and culturally. But try telling that to alot of the people in Taiwan! When I was there I asked something about them being excited that the Olympics were in China-they set me straight lol. Most Taiwanese younger than middle-aged were born in Taiwan though.

I think its possible Taiwan may try to declare its independence in the days leading up to the Olympics in Beijing. If they were to do it, that would be the best time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World