Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 05:36 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times

Advertisements

All the popular movies and TV shows in France are in French and most (if not all) of the coursework at university has to be done in French. Up until fairly recently they didn't even have English over their whole school curriculum. It's pretty arrogant to snub other people for not properly learning a language when you yourself did exactly the same thing.

Personally, I only had to do a single class taught in English worth 3 credits. Out of 280 credits (ECTS) I did over 5 years. That said, I voluntarily took more classes in English and spent a semester abroad, which is rather unusual for a law student in Austria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 05:47 AM

418 posts, read 559,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
All the popular movies and TV shows in France are in French and most (if not all) of the coursework at university has to be done in French. Up until fairly recently they didn't even have English over their whole school curriculum. It's pretty arrogant to snub other people for not properly learning a language when you yourself did exactly the same thing.

Personally, I only had to do a single class taught in English worth 3 credits. Out of 280 credits (ECTS) I did over 5 years. That said, I voluntarily took more classes in English and spent a semester abroad, which is rather unusual for a law student in Austria.

Hmmm well I guess what is wrong in this the music on the radio is a good deal in English, like the internet etc.

I have way too many friends who have gone through various schooling in France and know they don't have 1 class in English all those years.

I tried to explain that growing up in the UK it is just vastly different but you missed that bit.

I hear they are attempting to start the english process sooner in French schools than before and it's being done in part with recruits from the USA via a program that was set up. We will see what happens.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinUSA View Post
Hmmm well I guess what is wrong in this the music on the radio is a good deal in English, like the internet etc.

I have way too many friends who have gone through various schooling in France and know they don't have 1 class in English all those years.

I tried to explain that growing up in the UK it is just vastly different but you missed that bit.

I hear they are attempting to start the english process sooner in French schools than before and it's being done in part with recruits from the USA via a program that was set up. We will see what happens.
I did get that you said it's vastly different to grow up in the UK, I simply don't agree. You chose to not properly learn French, just like many French people not chose to learn proper English. For some reason you are applying a double standard, though, which seems quite odd to me.

As to the music: I doubt that most people, even those who have a decent command in English, understand what is sung in songs.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:46 AM

418 posts, read 559,643 times
Quote:
I did get that you said it's vastly different to grow up in the UK, I simply don't agree. You chose to not properly learn French, just like many French people not chose to learn proper English. For some reason you are applying a double standard, though, which seems quite odd to me.

You don't see it different that french wasn't all over the internet/music/movies/TV in the UK how english is in France?

I can't fathom how you can't admit that may be different.

Oddly though with French in school and not having french tv/music/movies/internet I know basic french and can read quite a bit. Yet I met people who claim to know zero english, while adele is playing in the background

To get in and out of storage unit in France oddly it's all in English, wonder how people cope

Old 07-19-2014, 07:15 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Quote:
You don't see it different that french wasn't all over the internet/music/movies/TV in the UK how english is in France?
It doesn't help at all. You can listen to a Coldplay song 1,000 times, if you don't have a decent command of English, it will still sound like unintelligible gibberish the 1,000th time. Unless you work in the hospitality sector, have to deal with foreign customers/suppliers or work in certain fields like research, you won't need English in your day-to-day life.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
It doesn't help at all. You can listen to a Coldplay song 1,000 times, if you don't have a decent command of English, it will still sound like unintelligible gibberish the 1,000th time.
This. And as I said: even most people who are able to read, speak and understand English don't have a clue of what is going on in a Coldplay/Adele song.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:30 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Very true, unless one puts a lot of effort in trying to decipher the lyrics (99% of the time people don't), only the meaning of the chorus will eventually sink in. That is, if there is a chorus.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:16 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
I still do not understand how so many in France speak zero English and others are good or at least try!

The friends who speak English didn't go to special schools or anything. Oddly Carrefour everyone seems to speak English and at some of the more posh places nothing.

I am not so advanced in my French yet but find it odd even basic English would be an issue for someone say 21-25 years old.
Same in Spain

Old 07-19-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
How is it ironic that people with degrees don't speak English? It's not like that there are classes teaching basic English at university (not part of your standard curriculum). You either learn it at school or not.

You yourself wrote that your French is pretty basic and it's just as hard to study English for foreigners.
This is the UK though.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:

We don't need to learn English so its not arrogant. Its daft of you to compare UK/ America with Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World