Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:34 PM

692 posts, read 956,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
They should already be happy that i spend my $$$ in their country.
If i decided to move to another country sure i will try my best to learn the language but as a tourist i won't go more far than Uno, Dos, Tres, Cuatro, Cinco, Ola, Gracias, Bonjour, Merci, Ciao, Obrigado, Konnichiwa, Arigato, Ni hao, Sawatdee, Kathoey, Khob khun, Danke, Guten tag etc.
But just because you paid some people doesn't mean you paid everyone. If you're asking me for directions on the street, you haven't paid me a thing and if anything, you've taken up MY valuable time. So why should I accommodate YOUR language? Beyond that, it's incredibly arrogant to assume that the average person living in a country should be grateful that you spend your money there, especially if that person doesn't work in the tourist industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 12:58 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,013,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I hate it when English speakers point and speak English in the foreign accent of the country that they are in when abroad.. really when almost every European can speak English it is embarrassing to say the least.
From my own experience (especially in Thailand) for many of the local people the English language is a lot easier to understand when spoken in their accent

Old 07-28-2014, 04:54 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,333,172 times
I am trilingual and get by in a few other languages.

When I find an American that only speaks English I tend to think the person is not very worldly or has a lack of education.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:59 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,305,619 times
I don't know about affluent and sophisticated but speaking English in some non-English speaking countries gives you immediate elite status.

I speak Portuguese fluently because my parents came here from Brazil but I have found that speaking English ONLY in countries like Brazil and Portugal will get you a sort of VIP treatment.

Now, as soon as you switch to Portuguese, you immediately lose the coolness factor and you are just another simpleton in their eyes.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
1.But just because you paid some people doesn't mean you paid everyone.

2.If you're asking me for directions on the street, you haven't paid me a thing and if anything, you've taken up MY valuable time. So why should I accommodate YOUR language?

3.Beyond that, it's incredibly arrogant to assume that the average person living in a country should be grateful that you spend your money there, especially if that person doesn't work in the tourist industry.
1.Where do you think all the money from tourists go Just see what happens if all tourists decide not to travel in non-1st world countries anymore.

2.If you did a great job explaining the directions to me i would show that i'm very thankful and maybe even give you a tip (depending on countries average income), in Japan people feel offended if you want to tip them

3.Not arrogant but realistic, if the non-English speaking country in question is already so rich that it doesn't need tourism at all then it might make me look arrogant.
One doesn't need to work in the tourism industry to get better from tourists.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:32 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,333,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I don't know about affluent and sophisticated but speaking English in some non-English speaking countries gives you immediate elite status.

I speak Portuguese fluently because my parents came here from Brazil but I have found that speaking English ONLY in countries like Brazil and Portugal will get you a sort of VIP treatment.

Now, as soon as you switch to Portuguese, you immediately lose the coolness factor and you are just another simpleton in their eyes.
Perhaps this is true in third world countries.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:19 AM

418 posts, read 559,159 times
Quote:
1.Where do you think all the money from tourists go Just see what happens if all tourists decide not to travel in non-1st world countries anymore.

2.If you did a great job explaining the directions to me i would show that i'm very thankful and maybe even give you a tip (depending on countries average income), in Japan people feel offended if you want to tip them

3.Not arrogant but realistic, if the non-English speaking country in question is already so rich that it doesn't need tourism at all then it might make me look arrogant.

Davy is from the Netherlands, so I'm assuming he means people speaking English if he is a tourist which would already be a 2nd language to the Dutch?

Old 07-28-2014, 08:37 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,403,050 times
Quote:
From my own experience (especially in Thailand) for many of the local people the English language is a lot easier to understand when spoken in their accent
Really? I just always find it a bit rude... as if they are trying to pretend that they are speaking to idiots or something

Old 07-28-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Really? I just always find it a bit rude... as if they are trying to pretend that they are speaking to idiots or something
There is a limit of course.

For example if i ask most Thai people "What is the average height of Thai people" they wouldn't understand me but if i ask "How tall most Thai people?" they would.

I always try neutral American English first tho.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 PM

692 posts, read 956,457 times
Quote:

For the love of God, please don't leave the United States. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World