Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 03:30 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I think a more religious and 'traditional' outlook among some cultural groups is an influencing factor.

When a white woman is in a relationship with a black guy in the U.S. or Canada or France, I would guess that neither one of them is very religious or 'traditional' in their attitude towards relationships or family life.

Men who are recent immigrants or first-generation Americans/Canadians/French tend to be somewhat religious - conservative Catholic or Muslim or whatever - and traditional in their attitudes towards relationships. Lots of white women have that perception of brown guys anyway, and would not seek out a relationship with a recent immigrant for that reason. It's a form of prejudice I guess, and yes, it's a generalization. But if I could pinpoint a reason why white women are less inclined to date brown guys, my own theory is that they're avoiding the machismo attitude that they think would be part of the deal.
I don't really think it's prejudice but rather more of a survival instinct on the part of women and women knowing what is most appropriate for them and their future families. Speaking metaphorically - birds of a feather flock together. The male birds don't usually look exactly the same as the female birds, but they do share the same values and survival traits. Women are like birds, it's the females that choose the most appropriate mates for themselves, not the other way round.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 03:34 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't really think it's prejudice but rather more of a survival instinct on the part of women and women knowing what is most appropriate for them and their future families. Speaking metaphorically - birds of a feather flock together. The male birds don't usually look exactly the same as the female birds, but they do share the same values and survival traits. Women are like birds, it's the females that choose the most appropriate mates for themselves, not the other way round.

I agree, and I would also add... women and men who are socially (and politically) liberal tend to attract each other. And individuals who are socially and politically conservative tend to pair up with one another. Individuals who are really far apart on their social and political views are unlikely to be together in a relationship for very long. I believe that all influences the trend too.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
^ Agreed.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:10 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando1984 View Post
I am talking about it almost the other way around, a brown latino or any kind of guy with brown skin, black hair, and brown eyes (and isn't black) with a white woman, you don't see that very often at all.
Maybe not in Florida, but you do throughout the Southwest and around the West Coast of the US. I've seen it in Canada, and here and there in Europe, too.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:12 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lamb View Post
Go to Barcelona, ive never seen so many Northern European girl/South American guy in my life as i have in there (and i was in one of them hehe)
haha! That's true! Go to Ecuador and see all the North American and West European women with their Native boyfriends!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:43 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
Quote:

If it's an instinct, how would they differentiate between new immigrants and descendants of immigrants when they physically look the same but have radically different cultural views?

If it's a voluntary action, why do they lump everyone together as one instead of taking the time to get to know the person?

Misogynistic and/or macho husbands are not limited to new immigrants - plenty of them exist in North American Caucasians as well.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
can she reasonably assume based on his race that he probably doesn't share the same religion and values as her? May she assume differently about the brown skinned man that she meets in her church?

So don't be shallow, look at deeper issues. Start looking beyond skin colour, okay, and start thinking about other things that are much more important to women when they're looking for husbands. And that's all women of any colour and culture. Not just western white Christian women.
Well, you're stereotyping here: Not all western white women are Christian, for one, and not all brown-skinned men are strongly religious or bound to their culture. So, to answer your question, one cannot reasonably assume that he doesn't share the same values. You never know if the white dude you're dating is a psychopath, or a Scientologist, or a secret drug dealer, or whatever. It's part of the risk of dating, and it really doesn't matter if it's between races or within a race. There are always risks involved and saying "I assume there would be cultural differences" is an unacceptable cop-out to disguise racial prejudice. It is prejudiced to assume there would be cultural differences before getting to know the person.

To back up my point further, would a Canadian white woman think twice about dating a white guy from Germany? Probably not, because of the mistaken assumption that cultural differences would be small. In fact, the cultural gap would be much wider there than between a Canadian white woman and a Canadian man of Indian or Asian descent. The link between physical appearance and culture is tenuous; the cultural difference between North American and European Caucasians is grossly underestimated, and the cultural difference between North American Caucasians and non-Caucasians is grossly overestimated.

Most of this discussion is regarding average Caucasian women and well-integrated brown-skinned men, not about a recent arrival from Pakistan trying to date a devout Catholic woman.

Last edited by arctic_gardener; 07-25-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-25-2014, 10:35 AM

43 posts, read 55,585 times
I have heard many (and I mean many) people say that Canadian women will run aggressively after black guys due to stereotypes but actively avoid all other minorities. The only experience I have with Canada is that when I went to Vancouver and Toronto, I did not see one (and I mean not one) indian looking guy with a white girl while I saw plenty of white men with indian and asian women. It's not like the indian guys there weren't trying either, they were doing all this weird PUA stuff and approaching women yet still not having much results. A weird thing I noticed was that there were probably 10 times as many indians and asians there than black men but you still saw more black men with white women. Canadian society seems to have some special kind of animosity against asian and indian guys.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:08 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando1984 View Post
indian looking guys.
Ok, this is probably the end. K thx BYE! _o/~

Old 07-25-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Ok, this is probably the end. K thx BYE! _o/~
?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World