Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:55 PM

492 posts, read 1,150,104 times

Advertisements

It could be that Americans consume unknowingly too much genetically modified foods that is found more and more in all fruits and vegetables today, and let's not forget the irradiated foods.
The meats (poultry, fish, beef) are injected with growth hormones to promote faster cell division; speeding the division rate of cells could trigger cancer. (Cancer being uncontrolled cell division).

The unbelievable amount of insecticides and antibiotics used is a huge problem. Europe may have better control. In Europe those processes mentioned are labeled to make people more aware, (while here such labels are not allowed).
Also, over medication is also a problem, some of those new medications that are advertised on TV seem dangerous to me.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:54 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,065,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboarded View Post
They exude vitality in a way I almost never see in New York. With the exception of the Brits, they look, well, damn good. The Scandinavians are basically glowing. I can't stop looking at the Germans.
Look at Scandinavians at home in winter, you might think differently. Why are the Brits excepted? Do they look dismal?

Last edited by John-UK; 07-27-2014 at 02:49 AM..

Old 07-27-2014, 05:42 AM

418 posts, read 559,817 times
I'm British and slim but I got to say the amount of obese people in the UK is getting bad. Paris I find the women are smaller, get out of Paris and they ballon back up.

I found people in California quite slim, maybe other parts of the USA no?

Old 07-27-2014, 07:18 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinUSA View Post
You need to take a trip to places like Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama, West Virginia.

I live in Iowa and I have to say, obesity here is epidemic as it is in most "Middle America" and Southern states. Very few tourists get to see these places though. I call it the "real America"

Old 07-27-2014, 07:53 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
I'm British and slim but I got to say the amount of obese people in the UK is getting bad. Paris I find the women are smaller, get out of Paris and they ballon back up.

I have the same experience. Tons of slim attractive women in California, and also New York City, Miami, etc. I think partially because California is a major immigration destination, particularly for Asians.

Also, the type of American that is attracted to Southern California, is generally the kind that has a strong interest in taking care of their body.

It's when you get into the 'farmland' parts of the U.S., that people really start to balloon up.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I have the same experience. Tons of slim attractive women in California, and also New York City, Miami, etc. I think partially because California is a major immigration destination, particularly for Asians.

Also, the type of American that is attracted to Southern California, is generally the kind that has a strong interest in taking care of their body.

It's when you get into the 'farmland' parts of the U.S., that people really start to balloon up.

I saw more large people around London, which is a big city.

maybe middle america has more of an issue but then it shows it's not a universal american issue.

The amount of men who are obese is getting quite high in Europe, just what I notice, no study to back this, but too many guys needing bras I see out and about

Old 07-27-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I saw more large people around London, which is a big city.

maybe middle america has more of an issue but then it shows it's not a universal american issue.

The amount of men who are obese is getting quite high in Europe, just what I notice, no study to back this, but too many guys needing bras I see out and about
I noticed that as well. I live over here in Hong Kong area, and visit some of the British pubs filled with Brits and Aussies...some very unhealthy people! Just way overweight, and need to get off the barstools and walk around once in awhile!

Middle America is really bad. But, you are right, it's not universal across all of the U.S., but it is pretty close though. In general, the West Coast is just way more health conscious than the rest of the U.S. (with the exceptions of Miami and New York City, which would also be quite health conscious).

Old 07-27-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I noticed that as well. I live over here in Hong Kong area, and visit some of the British pubs filled with Brits and Aussies...some very unhealthy people! Just way overweight, and need to get off the barstools and walk around once in awhile!

Middle America is really bad. But, you are right, it's not universal across all of the U.S., but it is pretty close though. In general, the West Coast is just way more health conscious than the rest of the U.S. (with the exceptions of Miami and New York City, which would also be quite health conscious).

The obesity epidemic is hitting in Hong Kong/China etc now too?

I am British but have lived both sides of the pond. I find it quite disgusting how quick people are to say "americans are so fat" almost instantly after I say I lived there. Esp. when the person saying it isn't exactly thin

I have a struggle with British clothing being too big, even the kids stuff from Gap is bigger than the American version. I find more small size clothing in the USA and it's not like it's on the discount rack because no one buys the tiny sizes, actually many shops I go to are sold out of the small sizes. So I guess I see it from another side of the coin.

One thing I also saw in the UK was people who where at least in the XXL group wearing tiny clothes and it hanging all out as to say. In Miami I saw some of this but hey it's hot so I give ya more wiggle room in the clothing coverage dept, but too many of these women really don't seem to see the issue.

Last but not least, the endless complaining women seem to do now if a model looks skinny or the debate about the one mannequin that was "too thin". It seems (just from what I read as a woman, not a research or anything) that many think the skinny women are not healthy, and are negative towards them. The anti-size zero debate I see a lot, as a size zero I feel quite bad about some of the comments

Old 07-27-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
The obesity epidemic is hitting in Hong Kong/China etc now too?
No, not at all. I mean, it's really obvious and clear among the British/Aussie expats, based on the British Pubs in Hong Kong. But that's just the Brits/Aussies/Americans sitting inside of them.

Not so obvious at all among Hong Kong and Chinese people.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Where the fat Americans are.

If you don't feel like clicking the link, the deep South, especially Alabama and Mississippi, the coastal Carolinas, and anywhere Native Americans make up a sizable proportion of the poulation. Secondarily, the Ohio River Valley and upper Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World