Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,788,987 times

Advertisements

I always LOL at people who take the "intentional homicide rate" as a reliable statistic to know how "safe" or "unsafe" a country or a region are.

First, each country has a different way to generate those statistics, and many times it's an apples to oranges comparison.

Second, in many places with high homicide rate, 95% of the homicides are related to revenge between criminal gangs, mostly in "bad neighborhoods". Meaning that people not involved with gangs are rarely murdered, while people who are involved with gangs (a tiny minority of the population) have 90% probability of getting murdered before reaching the age of 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 12:13 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Indonesia its considerebly safe country with lower crime rate than some of its neighbor like Philippines or Cambodia.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:26 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Indonesia its considerebly safe country with lower crime rate than some of its neighbor like Philippines or Cambodia.
This thread is about mainland countries only but since Indonesia is so large and close to the mainland i can accept it

Is it also safe for openly gay atheists?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
This thread is about mainland countries only but since Indonesia is so large and close to the mainland i can accept it

Is it also safe for openly gay atheists?
Depends on certain location, Jakarta and Bali is fairly safe for gay and atheist, beside i don't think they care much in what foreigners believed in.

There is gay bar in the 2 location, but i guest going out from this 2 place might just be nightmares, i suppose bigger cities like Surabaya and Bandung is ok, expect more discrimination though. (for gays)

I would rather be gay and atheist in Indonesia rather than India.

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-29-2014 at 09:19 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Depends on certain location, Jakarta and Bali is fairly safe for gay and atheist, beside i don't think they care much in what foreigners believed in.

There is gay bar in the 2 location, but i guest going out from this 2 place might just be nightmares, i suppose bigger cities like Surabaya and Bandung is ok, expect more discrimination though. (for gays)

I would rather be gay and atheist in Indonesia rather than India.
"Atheism is not readily tolerated in Indonesia, as it has no place in Islamic Sharia law—the belief in god being one of the Pillars of Islam. Religious tolerance in Indonesia is limited to muted acceptance of other religions apart from Islam. There is no place for atheism.

Atheism in Indonesia particularly affects married women: a non-religious woman does not enjoy many of the benefits enjoyed by a married, religious woman"

"When declared atheist Alexander Aan wrote in February 2012 (on Facebook) that God does not exist, he was taken into custody and initially charged with blasphemy. The police claimed that they were doing this to protect him from attackers, however, no charges have been levied against his attackers. He has not prosecuted under blasphemy law, but instead was eventually charged under the country's cyber crime laws for spreading his views on the non-existence of god by using the internet. This incident raised a debate about the legality of atheism versus treating it as a genuine religion."

"A 2010 poll by Pew Research Center showed that 30% of the population in Indonesia agree with administering the death penalty for leaving Islam"

Old 07-30-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
"Atheism is not readily tolerated in Indonesia, as it has no place in Islamic Sharia law—the belief in god being one of the Pillars of Islam. Religious tolerance in Indonesia is limited to muted acceptance of other religions apart from Islam. There is no place for atheism.

Atheism in Indonesia particularly affects married women: a non-religious woman does not enjoy many of the benefits enjoyed by a married, religious woman"

"When declared atheist Alexander Aan wrote in February 2012 (on Facebook) that God does not exist, he was taken into custody and initially charged with blasphemy. The police claimed that they were doing this to protect him from attackers, however, no charges have been levied against his attackers. He has not prosecuted under blasphemy law, but instead was eventually charged under the country's cyber crime laws for spreading his views on the non-existence of god by using the internet. This incident raised a debate about the legality of atheism versus treating it as a genuine religion."

"A 2010 poll by Pew Research Center showed that 30% of the population in Indonesia agree with administering the death penalty for leaving Islam"
Agreed there's no place for atheism, even if its listed to their identity card for the Atheist its just a name. What do you expect from a developing nation with majority poor and religious people? atleast in the modernized area the people tend to accept that there is people who just don't believe in religion. I still prefer that than living in India, where hatred towards atheism and gay are more fluent than Indonesia. (which really surprises me considering they accepted Muslim president)

Execution of apostacy is "only" accepted by 13% of the population... depending on the region i suppose like for example the Javanese are more open to accept it, but the more religious Aceh and Sundanese? not so much.. even the Hindus of Bali didn't like their children leaving Hinduism.
Pew: 64% of Muslims in Egypt and Pakistan support death penalty for leaving Islam « Hot Air

Beside i never heard of people gets killed for leaving Islam, religious conflict is different story.

So is Indonesia the worst nation for them? not really, is it bad? yes it is, but i do hope it improves, as it gets more developed it would eventually be more acceptive towards it.

If you avoid conservatives area you'll be fine, that's all i can say.

But as whether it is safe for most travellers? yes.

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-30-2014 at 01:49 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 03:12 AM

417 posts, read 445,009 times
Quote:
Countries by intentional homicide rate:
Panama (26th in the world)
Ecuador (37th)
Nicaragua (41st)
Philippines (64th)
Thailand (93th)

Not really safe numbers considering there are almost 200 countries in the world.

Just out of curiosity, where does the USA rank on that list? I personally felt no more danger walking around Bangkok, Quito, or Manila at night then I did walking around Baltimore, St. Louis, or New Orleans.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
Just out of curiosity, where does the USA rank on that list? I personally felt no more danger walking around Bangkok, Quito, or Manila at night then I did walking around Baltimore, St. Louis, or New Orleans.
USA ranks 96th.

7 countries that rank right above the US: Albania, Estonia, Thailand, Mauritania, Belarus, North Korea, Argentina

7 countries that rank right below the US: Yemen, Niger, Latvia, Georgia, Ukraine, Solomon Islands, Cuba

Old 07-31-2014, 04:29 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,079 times
OP, your girlfriend statement is somehow correct.

Crime (in most cases) is driven by poverty. People rob, kidnap, scam or worst, kill you, because they want something from you.

Meaning, there must be no reason to commit crime if the people are well off. Domestic crime or violence is a different thing though.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:31 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
Vietnam is considering its situation...petty crime, but nothing serious or major....especially for women.

Last edited by JL; 07-31-2014 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World