Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 12:47 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,840,231 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how much attention you pay to security where you live and how preoccupied people are with theft where you live.

Do you leave your home's door unlocked?
It's automatically locked, so no. Could leave it open for a month and nobody would steal anything. Jeez, in this country people even return €50 bills saying "you dropped this"!

Do you have a security system?
Definitely not.

Do you leave your bike unlocked outside?
I could, but I don't.

Do you lock your car doors?
I don't have a car. But was a bit annoyed when my ex GF insisted locking the doors at her parents' house and had to fetch something. There was no need for that. Some people even leave the keys into the ignition.

Do you leave any other items unlocked or unsecured outside your home (chairs, barbecue, planters, etc.)?
Don't have those. Chained chairs or planters? WTF? If you plant a barbeque spit somewhere it will outlast you. Why would anyone steal something like that?

Do you hold onto your iPhone tightly when walking around?
Pickpocketing, in Finland? No! The only threat is the gypsy beggars.

Will you leave your belongings unattended at the café if you are just going to go get a napkin?
Naturally. Who is going to steal them? Totally nonexistant.

Also, what is the security like in your building? Is the doorman extremely strict or "loose"?
Doorman? It is a profession? Until this year the stairway doors weren't even locked at night. Now they are, as we experienced some vandalism.

Last edited by Ariete; 08-06-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 12:52 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,086,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
In the case of my building, if the doorman already knows you (or he thinks that he knows you) he will probably let you into the elevator and just call your friend in the 8th floor using the intercom to tell him that you are already in the elevator.

If the doorman thinks you are a complete stranger that he never saw before, he will probably first call your friend in the 8th floor asking if he knows you and if you can go in.

But not all buildings here are so "loose"...
In Canada, the vast majority of apartment buildings have no doorman. It's very rare to have a doorman even in the centre of the cities and only the very ritziest buildings would have one.

Instead buildings have a list of residents with buzzers that allow the resident to let you in the lobby door which is locked.

In usual practice, probably 80% residents seem to be willing to hold the door for you and let you in without asking any questions if you arrive at the same time as them and you look "normal''.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:58 PM

3,996 posts, read 6,815,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In Canada, the vast majority of apartment buildings have no doorman. It's very rare to have a doorman even in the centre of the cities and only the very ritziest buildings would have one.

Instead buildings have a list of residents with buzzers that allow the resident to let you in the lobby door which is locked.

In usual practice, probably 80% residents seem to be willing to hold the door for you and let you in without asking any questions if you arrive at the same time as them and you look "normal''.

Here in Brazil, almost every apartment building has a doorman, except for the poorest ones...

The profession is called "porteiro", in Portuguese...

Old 08-06-2014, 01:07 PM

Do you leave your home's door unlocked?

Usually, no. But sometimes we forget and it's no big deal.

Do you have a security system?

Yes. My house used to be the only one all by itself on our street and the environs were very dark. I was away often on business at that time and my wife felt better with a security system. The street has since been filled in with neighbours on all sides.

Do you leave your bike unlocked outside?

Generally no. Sometimes I forget it outside the house though. I sometimes forget my garage door open all night with my bike and all sorts of other stuff in the garage. But I have never had anything stolen.

Do you lock your car doors?

Away from home I always do but at home I often forget or don't bother.

Do you leave any other items unlocked or unsecured outside your home (chairs, barbecue, planters, etc.)?

I have all of this stuff around my house and it is all unsecured. You can walk in through the gate of my backyard and take a whole bunch of furniture if you want. I don't even lock the gate when I go away for weeks at a time.

I don't have an iPhone personally but for electronic devices or my wallet I am generally relaxed about them. Pickpocketing does not really exist here but sometimes if I see weird gangs of youths I hold onto my stuff more tightly. This rarely occurs though.

Will you leave your belongings unattended at the café if you are just going to go get a napkin?

If I can see my stuff I do this without any worries. If it's out of sight I will probably ask a trustful-looking person to watch my stuff while I am gone. People do that all the time here - in restaurants, cafés, libraries, at the beach, etc.

Last edited by Acajack; 08-06-2014 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Don't have those. Chained chairs or planters? WTF? If you plant a barbeque spit somewhere it will outlast you. Why would anyone steal something like that?
A barbecue like this is what is most common here:

http://www.lorrainemag.com/wp-conten...barbecue_1.jpg

It can be stolen. Though such thefts are very rare.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:10 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,314,256 times
I live in a town of 20000 people here in Iowa and I dont leave anything unlocked because I moved here from a bigger city but I leave my windows wide open when I leave and never had any problems.

In most smaller cities here in Iowa, people leave their front doors and cars unlocked since crime in these places is practically non-existant.

One of the coolest things I have seen here was in Fargo, North Dakota. On cold days, people leave their cars running while they go grocery shopping.

A few months ago, I was having some battery problems, so I left my truck running in the Wal Mart parking lot while I shopped. I was gone for 15 minutes, nothing happened.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I live in a town of 20000 people here in Iowa and I dont leave anything unlocked because I moved here from a bigger city but I leave my windows wide open when I leave and never had any problems.

In most smaller cities here in Iowa, people leave their front doors and cars unlocked since crime in these places is practically non-existant.

One of the coolest things I have seen here was in Fargo, North Dakota. On cold days, people leave their cars running while they go grocery shopping.

A few months ago, I was having some battery problems, so I left my truck running in the Wal Mart parking lot while I shopped. I was gone for 15 minutes, nothing happened.
I also see lots of unattended cars running here. In winter (heating) and in summer (air conditioning). I am not sure if they are locked or not. Probably not locked.

Just thinking that when I am on my bike if I am dropping into a small store for a few minutes I will often leave it unlocked just outside the door.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:03 PM

8,873 posts, read 8,462,534 times
No I don't.I usually just put them in my pockets,nobody's gonna steal that.

Sure.The seat could be taken if I don't leave my stuff on the table.
I'd carry my phone and wallet with me though.

Also, what is the security like in your building? Is the doorman extremely strict or "loose"?
Loose I suppose.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:04 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,840,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A barbecue like this is what is most common here:

http://www.lorrainemag.com/wp-conten...barbecue_1.jpg

It can be stolen. Though such thefts are very rare.
Those are the ones I was talking about. No, nobody would steal such a thing.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Those are the ones I was talking about. No, nobody would steal such a thing.
The really nice, expensive ones can get stolen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World