Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 02:13 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,626,124 times

Advertisements

Do you leave your home's door unlocked?
At night - ccasionally. I am currently living with someone so if they are out later than I am, I will leave the door open for them. When I am home, the door is always unlocked.

Do you have a security system?
Yes, but it has been inactive for a long time. If someone broke into my house, it would be more than useless.

Do you leave your bike unlocked outside?
Yes. My bike is currently in the shed. My bike was stolen once, but never again.

Do you lock your car doors?

Yes, of course.

Do you leave any other items unlocked or unsecured outside your home (chairs, barbecue, planters, etc.)?

Chairs, tables, barbecue, plant pots and so on. None of these items have ever been stolen.

Do you hold onto your iPhone tightly when walking around?

No. Never really given it much thought.

Will you leave your belongings unattended at the café if you are just going to go get a napkin?
Yes.

Also, what is the security like in your building? Is the doorman extremely strict or "loose"?

I don't live in an apartment building.

--

Where I live has below-average crime compared to the UK as a whole. If I lived in the inner city, I would be more cautious, as burglary rates are really high in Leeds. It's not uncommon to see bars on windows in some poor areas, and the student areas in particular are hotspots for burglars - a running joke amongst university students in Leeds is that not getting burgled is a reason to celebrate (an exaggeration obviously). 3 of the 20 postcodes with the highest burglary insurance claims nationally are in Leeds.

As for returning money - I once left a £10 note at a self-scan at a supermarket, because I am absent-minded. I phoned them to ask if it was still there, and someone took it to the front desk. I expected someone to take it, so I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know if that usually happens or not.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 08-06-2014 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 02:22 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,674,502 times
Everything I have that has a lock gets locked,that's what they're for.
I never carry anything of value on me.
When I'm leaving my house I sometimes turn and pretend I'm talking to someone inside, " I'll be back shortly. " You never know who's listening.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:57 PM

545 posts, read 867,727 times
Do you leave your home's door unlocked? No
Do you have a security system? No
Do you leave your bike unlocked outside? No
Do you lock your car doors? No
Do you leave any other items unlocked or unsecured outside your home (chairs, barbecue, planters, etc.)? Don't have anything outside in Paris.

In Brittany I leave everything unsecured and unlocked but if I leave more than a day (I just lock the door).

Old 08-06-2014, 09:38 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,452,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Just wondering how much attention you pay to security where you live and how preoccupied people are with theft where you live.

Depends how long I'm gone
Nah

No. But I keep it in the garage

I don't have doors on my Jeep.

Do you leave any other items unlocked or unsecured outside your home (chairs, barbecue, planters, etc.)?
I've never considered locking up my plants. lol
But, no.

And anything else you might want to share.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:37 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,544,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Hey, this got me thinking - how many people do you know who actually leave their door unlocked overnight or while they're gone?

I remember watching Bowling for Columbine , and there was a part where Moore and his boys went over to Windsor and couldn't find many people who leave their doors unlocked compared to Detroit. Everyone up here locks their doors and it's smaller, so I've always wondered about that.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:44 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,452,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Hey, this got me thinking - how many people do you know who actually leave their door unlocked overnight or while they're gone?

I remember watching Bowling for Columbine , and there was a part where Moore and his boys went over to Windsor and couldn't find many people who leave their doors unlocked compared to Detroit. Everyone up here locks their doors and it's smaller, so I've always wondered about that.

Everyone I know locks their doors at night, so far as I know. But I'll only leave it unlocked if I'm gone for a short time. And 9 times out of 10, one of my neighbours is in their backyard as well, and that's the door I leave. I never leave the front door unlocked, if I'm home or not. I'm always out in the back, so I don't need someone rummaging through my house while I'm in the backyard.

I'd just feel stupid if that happened. lol

Old 08-06-2014, 11:56 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,353,761 times
When I'm at home: Pretty much always. I lock the doors when I'm going out, though.

No

Nope, would be gone in a second.

I don't have a car, but I'd lock the doors.

Don't have any of those things in Vienna, but we leave them unlocked in Linz.

Nope.

Will you leave your belongings unattended at the café if you are just going to go get a napkin?
Yes. Depends on the situation, though.

Also, what is the security like in your building? Is the doorman extremely strict or "loose"?

We don't have a doorman, you can only enter with a keycard.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:12 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,263,230 times
It locks automatically when closed so no but I leave the door wide open when I'm taking the bins out or going to check on my kid in the park. Used to do that when I lived in an apartment building full of criminals too, I figured they weren't going to sh*t in their own backyard..
Someone I know well has a different kind of lock that doesn't lock automatically - he leaves his front door unlocked pretty much all the time even when no one is home and even if it is locked the key is just hanging from a nail outside

Nope

I don't have a bike but my kid's bike is left unlocked. My friend used to leave his bike unlocked until it got stolen (he found it again outside a shop, was probably just 'borrowed' by a drunk)

Sometimes but a lot of the time we forget. We have a van and the storage bit is left unlocked too unless work tools are in there and someone did go in there a couple weeks ago but I guess they just wanted a private place to use drugs or something. They left their cap behind so we made a net gain on that one...

Chairs, table, grill, shoes, whatever else makes it way outside is left out unsecured. I have no fear of anyone stealing any of it

No one would want to steal my crappy old phone anyway so no. I forgot it once at a party with the aforementioned criminals and they ran outside to return it to me.

Getting a napkin, getting a drink, going to the toilet... all the time. I accidentally left a bag in the bar one night (on a very busy night) and went home - it was still there the next day

Old 08-11-2014, 04:49 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,515,273 times
Just wondering how much attention you pay to security where you live and how preoccupied people are with theft where you live.

Do you leave your home's door unlocked? - Not Deliberately, however Sometimes I get a bit forgetful.
Do you leave your bike unlocked outside? I keep it in our Garage
Do you lock your car doors? - See the House Doors
Do you leave any other items unlocked or unsecured outside your home (chairs, barbecue, planters, etc.)? Yes Barbecue, out door setting and some garden equipment etc all sit unsecured outside.
Do you hold onto your iPhone tightly when walking around? - Nope, I often just put in down on tables and benches etc and do something else.

And anything else you might want to share. - Neighbour was burgled a few weeks ago, they caught the thief.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:26 PM

131 posts, read 168,833 times
Do you leave your home's door unlocked? No
Do you leave your bike unlocked outside? No
Do you lock your car doors? Yes
Do you leave any other items unlocked or unsecured outside your home (chairs, barbecue, planters, etc.)? Yes, chairs, table, barbecue, plants and trash cans outside
Chicago Il
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World