Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least Safest First World Country?
Germany 3 1.57%
Canada 4 2.09%
France 16 8.38%
Italy 8 4.19%
Australia 2 1.05%
Sweden 7 3.66%
USA 128 67.02%
UK 6 3.14%
Spain 7 3.66%
Other (please mention) 10 5.24%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 12:54 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Europeans never want to admit their problems.
From the author of Crime would be so low if only there were no blacks!!!!!, I'd rather have my guns at the cost of increassed risk of death and Police brutality? What's that is it edible? lol comes Europeans never want to admit their problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 04:08 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Agree with poll results, though I'm not sure about Gemany at 0 ...
Slightly less safe than that.....especially now with all those refugees.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
And your dismissal of pickpockets is a sad commentary. The perception that they are no big deal is exactly why they are a big deal. Being mugged IS an issue of safety. The reality is that pretty much everybody who has traveled to Europe more than a couple of times has a story to tell about attempted muggings, theft or having their car vandalized. You'll be hard pressed to find a visitor to America who has been witness to a murder, not on Google or television but in your real life.
I've travelled to Europe 13 times so far and have never had a problem. None. That said, I do agree that compared to Canada, you do have to watch out for pickpockets and thieves more in certain places.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:17 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Based on my personal experiences, Italy. I've lived in the US my whole life and have never been a victim or seen a crime happen.

I spent one month in Italy and personally witnessed 3 crimes. They were all thefts, so it may not be dangerous, but this is from my observations.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:04 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
The US is a mixed bag, like any other developed nation. Large swaths of the US have an extremely low crime rate - the town my parents live in, in MA has never had a single murder, for example. Crime tends to be clustered in specific areas and more often than not, the violence doesn't spread outside those areas.

That said, I would still say that the US is the most dangerous of these nations. The average American will never have a gun pulled on them, see a stabbing, or even be pickpocketedor robbed, but we also have areas that are as if not more dangerous than developing nations. Mass shootings on the scale of what we see in the US basically every few months are huge deals that stay in the national psyche and result in annual days of remembrance elsewhere... You only see this phenomenon in underdeveloped, war-torn nations otherwise.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:50 AM

570 posts, read 604,986 times
Is absurd saying that there are fewer crimes in USA than in Europe because they are mainly only some areas in USA.-
In Spain the Crime is minimal except the pocketing, that are the 90% foreigners of Eastern Europe and that are located in Madrid and Barcelona, and they rob to tourists in the Metro and agglomerations, taking advantage of the low penalty is in the Spain for these Crimes because sanctions correspond to a country with minimal Crime.-

For this reason the Spanish politicians are studying go up these penalties for pickpockes, because the UE prevents us expel these criminals for being of the UE.-

In the rest of Spain they are practically nonexistent those crimes, and the homicides are 5 times less than in USA.-

The survey of thread saying that the USA is safer than Europe is absurd , and goes against the statistics and against reality y the evidence.-

Old 08-25-2016, 02:13 AM

64 posts, read 57,692 times
The poll results (currently more than 70% for US) shouldn't imply that Europeans countries are much safer. In some areas in UK (Glasgow...) France (Seine-Saint-Denis...) or Belgium (Brussels...) for instance, if you go out late you can be pretty sure you will have to deal with either drunk brawlers or thieves. While they don't have guns like in US, they are often more than 4 or 5, they will find an excuse to mess with you and things can get pretty ugly even if you try to cooperate (-"hey do you have a cigarette ? No ? Pow, Kaboom !!")

Old 08-25-2016, 04:58 AM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
Is absurd saying that there are fewer crimes in USA than in Europe because they are mainly only some areas in USA.
However, it is highly skewed. 90% of the violent crimes in the U.S. happen in poor black or Hispanic areas, which are very isolated.

Outside of those locations, the U.S. is as safe as anywhere in Europe. Normally, you will never be affected by crime.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:29 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picopepec View Post
The poll results (currently more than 70% for US) shouldn't imply that Europeans countries are much safer. In some areas in UK (Glasgow...) France (Seine-Saint-Denis...) or Belgium (Brussels...) for instance, if you go out late you can be pretty sure you will have to deal with either drunk brawlers or thieves. While they don't have guns like in US, they are often more than 4 or 5, they will find an excuse to mess with you and things can get pretty ugly even if you try to cooperate (-"hey do you have a cigarette ? No ? Pow, Kaboom !!")
In defence of Glasgow, it has seen violent crime plummet in recent years.

Glasgow loses violent crime capital tag (From Evening Times)

Scottish homicide figures fall to another record low - BBC News

Knife and weapon crime in Glasgow reaches 29-year low, figures show

Glasgow smiles: how the city halved its murders by 'caring people into change' - The Guardian

Old 08-25-2016, 06:22 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
However, it is highly skewed. 90% of the violent crimes in the U.S. happen in poor black or Hispanic areas, which are very isolated.
90%? Where did you get that number from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World