Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least Safest First World Country?
Germany 3 1.57%
Canada 4 2.09%
France 16 8.38%
Italy 8 4.19%
Australia 2 1.05%
Sweden 7 3.66%
USA 128 67.02%
UK 6 3.14%
Spain 7 3.66%
Other (please mention) 10 5.24%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:50 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
What is Sweden and Germany doing in the poll
Why is Israel not in the poll
Israel isn't exactly an absolute 1st world country, but actually crime rate there is quite low.

In general it is hard to say as the USA is quite large and some areas are quite safe and others quite dangerous. But I would guess Sweden isn't that safe these days due to Islamic extremists taking a hold there but the same could be said for the U.K. or France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:34 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Israel isn't exactly an absolute 1st world country, but actually crime rate there is quite low.

In general it is hard to say as the USA is quite large and some areas are quite safe and others quite dangerous. But I would guess Sweden isn't that safe these days due to Islamic extremists taking a hold there but the same could be said for the U.K. or France.
Exactly why isn't Israel an absolute 1st world country?Just because of all those wars?
The GDP per capita,HDI,and life expectancy of Israel are all close to countries like France or Finland,and it's a democracy.Sounds very first world to me.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:40 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergodela View Post
USA if we are going by high development, Spain and Italy have higher crime rates than the USA though but I wouldn't really call them high, I would call them developed countries.

Say what?
Did you read that in the National Enquirer?
The US has at least three to five times the crime rate of Spain and Italy.
No hoods in Spain and Italy.
Almost nobody has firearms in Spain and Italy.
I guess that if you removed hoods and firearms, the US would be safer.
Now, a "safe area" in the US is safer than in Spain, I'm referring for example to a gated community.
I live in a gated community in Spain and we have from five to ten robberies a month in the entire community. Rent-a-cops are useless because law is tough on law enforcers, law is crappy in this country.

Last edited by Miserere; 08-20-2014 at 07:49 AM..

Old 08-13-2016, 11:31 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
USA hands down. No other country on that list is even close.
Odd, I thought that Spain and Italy were almost as bad.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:13 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
My friends who studied abroad in Italy were shocked at the amount of Violence/fist fights they encountered. Even though I didn't witness any fights like they did, I also felt very uneasy in parts of Italy and some parts of Paris are just downright scary. Having said that the USA is notorious for it's ghettos but people have to realize that if you aren't poor/living in the ghettos most places in the US are safe. I've lived in Washington DC, LA, and Phoenix and I've never once felt threatened/unsafe in either city.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:59 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
My friends who studied abroad in Italy were shocked at the amount of Violence/fist fights they encountered. Even though I didn't witness any fights like they did, I also felt very uneasy in parts of Italy and some parts of Paris are just downright scary. Having said that the USA is notorious for it's ghettos but people have to realize that if you aren't poor/living in the ghettos most places in the US are safe. I've lived in Washington DC, LA, and Phoenix and I've never once felt threatened/unsafe in either city.
I would be curious to know where he lived. I live in Italy and i have never witnessed violence or fist fights ahead of me. Why did it feel so uneasy in Italy and where did it feel uneasy? I have lived in this country for 18 years and aside from the sketchiest neighbourhoods of Napoli before they were cleaned up (around 2009-ish) i never felt in any kind of danger. Even in that case, the uneasyness came from perceived danger from all the stories i had heard.

Chances are that you were in a foreign country and maybe you didn't feel as much as ease or that you walked in a run down neighbourhood of the city without knowing whether it was safe or not

Old 08-14-2016, 07:00 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,050 times
Statistically the US is the most dangerous, but the crimes occur primarily in certain neighborhoods. For tourists visiting another country, France and Italy are the places you are most likely to be victimized by crime. In heavily touristic areas you are under constant threat of theft, even worse than many third world countries.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:57 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
San Francisco and New Orleans have tourist areas close to crime-ridden neighborhoods.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:25 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
More like 3 and a half times larger than my country
And a lot lower population too.

Even my province, Ontario, has 5 times the population of Iowa.

If Ontario was a US state it would be 5th largest in population,
just ahead of Illinois.

In geographic size, Ontario would be 2nd, after Alaska.

For this poll I chose USA.

More guns, higher murder rate.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:53 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
San Francisco and New Orleans have tourist areas close to crime-ridden neighborhoods.
France and Italy have criminals operating IN tourist areas and it seems the police are powerless to stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World