Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dirtiest global city
London 5 7.94%
New York City 18 28.57%
Hong Kong 6 9.52%
Paris 11 17.46%
Singapore 0 0%
Shanghai 2 3.17%
Tokyo 0 0%
Beijing 12 19.05%
Sydney 0 0%
Dubai 1 1.59%
Other (specify) 8 12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:29 AM

4 posts, read 4,839 times

Advertisements

Are pigeons pest? Their feces are just more prominent than other birds.
Cockroaches are abudant at night in Hong Kong's summer.
Hong Kong also has heavy fines for littering and spitting on the streets, but Singapore is better due to both cultural habits and heavy fines, other SE Asian countries are pretty dirty, also China.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
From the cities in the poll i think Hong Kong is the dirtiest, with the the warm climate playing a major factor. If it had London's/Paris's weather it would't even be in the top 3 of this poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 12:33 AM

4 posts, read 4,839 times
Extremely clean habit of the Japanese is an important factor that Japan has the longest life expectancy among major developed countries. Western countries is not as good in both cleanliness and manners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriachel View Post
Tokyo is very clean despite its size due to cultural factors. I also don't weight transient weather phenomena very highly, unlike air pollution which is much more of a consistent QOL issue. I'm only going by what I've heard from others about Singapore.

At the end of the day all of the bottom 5 are reasonably clean cities with little to differentiate them in my personal scoring ... At least compared to the top 5.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:49 AM

354 posts, read 683,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Yes, I know, but what about their air quality or pollution (smog, dust, etc)?
The air quality will never be as good as the cities in Australia, Canada, Scandinavia... etc. But when everything else is taken into consideration, Tokyo is extremely clean. Like the above poster mentioned, it has to do with people's habits.

The one thing I do hate about Tokyo is the cockroach season though. But I was spoiled coming from a country where this kind of insects aren't common.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:01 AM

510 posts, read 612,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
Paris dirtier than NY, HK and London? No. Just no.
I have lived in Paris and HK, and Paris is definitely dirtier than HK. HK has worse air and water cleanliness due to overcrowding and lax industrial laws, but Paris has way more street litter, dog feces on every sidewalk, graffiti everywhere, etc. HK also has an army of underpaid elderly people constantly sweeping the streets, cleaning up rubbish, and collecting recyclable materials, which is quite sad when you think about it, but it does keep the place cleaner.

Paris is a very dirty city. Not at all what I was expecting given its reputation and tourist appeal.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:52 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,362,821 times
Strangely, Paris didn't strike me as dirtier than other major European cities. Pretty much the same as Barcelona or London...

HK was also okay. HK Island is pretty clean, as are TST and the boroughs located in the New Territories. Kowloon can get veeery messy, though. But in the end, nothing cringe-worthy.
Overall, I thought that Shanghai had a trashier appeal to it, especially when you leave the Bund, Nanjing Road and the area around People's Park.

New York was pretty clean in Manhattan, but edgier in the other boroughs.

In the end, none of the cities above are outrageously dirty.

Last edited by viribusunitis; 08-19-2014 at 03:14 AM..

Old 08-19-2014, 03:14 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,832,103 times
Singapore's air quality is good !! Unless we are under haze due to the forest burning in Indonesia.

It was very bad last yr for about 2 weeks , other than that air is SIngapore is healthy !!

Some people are just ignorant

Old 08-19-2014, 04:22 AM

531 posts, read 596,820 times
Paris (lots of dog mess) vs New York (rats and trash).

Pick yer poison.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:10 AM

8,880 posts, read 8,494,982 times
Paris has quite a few dirty areas but it's not "that" dirty.Most of the places are alright.

Hong Kong is not dirty either.Being messy does not equal to being dirty.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:36 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,098,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
Paris dirtier than NY, HK and London? No. Just no.
Paris is certainly dirtier than London, (why do Parisians allow their dogs to use the pavements as a toilet) I wouldn't know about the other places.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:41 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,598,101 times
Ok, where is Rome?

Rome is by far dirtier than any city on this list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World