Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 08:13 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times

Advertisements

I know a Russian guy who doesn't really care..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 03:52 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Personally, I don't have illusions about the Russians, they are too much a part of today's Global World to have been able to preserve and protect their cultural and historical heritage. The population is probably as individualistic,degenerate as in the West, and Wodka or Krokodil doesn't help.
That's why Putin is good news : like a raging bull, Russians have always needed a matador (Spanish people will understand) to rein them in. If it was not the case, that vast country would sink in anarchy (like during Yeltsin's era)and the Oligarchs would plunder their riches , exploit the population, and live a lavish life in London or the Rivieara (they still do, partly so, but now they have some problems, like the infamous Berezowsky...)

Old 08-26-2014, 04:47 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Most “Russians” in the US are Jews from the former Soviet Union. They have very little regard for Putin because he’s former KGB. Indeed, most post-Soviet Jews I know are extremely pro-US.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:52 PM

36 posts, read 34,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Russians are some of the most brainwashed people in the world. This type of statement you mentioned like "Crimea is ours" is actually very typical.

People are kept ignorant by their educational system, they are fed daily with Kremlin BS propaganda and they are taught their own version of History which has absolutely nothing to do with reality.

Discussing politics with people like this girl you mentioned is a total waste of time. Besides being ignorant, they are arrogant.
Do you know how Ukrain got Crimea?
And as i understand you are very informed about russian educational system?

Old 10-17-2014, 03:20 PM

19 posts, read 19,139 times
I want everyone to say a few words about "the Ukrainian crisis." People in Ukraine don't want to be a third world country. Putin was good, when Ukraine was weak. Now will be different. People in Ukraine want to live in a rich and strong country.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:26 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,236,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_Valery View Post
People in Ukraine want to live in a rich and strong country.
To do this, they should emigrate to the United States.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:37 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Russians are some of the most brainwashed people in the world. This type of statement you mentioned like "Crimea is ours" is actually very typical.

People are kept ignorant by their educational system, they are fed daily with Kremlin BS propaganda and they are taught their own version of History which has absolutely nothing to do with reality.

Discussing politics with people like this girl you mentioned is a total waste of time. Besides being ignorant, they are arrogant.
Isn't that what the U.S. does as well. I hope this poster is not so naive about propaganda, making our own history which is not reality but a version that is provided for our reality.

My son is engaged to a Russian girl from Moscow. She has been attending college here in the U.S. She is very intelligent and lovely. She does not talk about Russia Ukraine situation. She is not in Russia and sees no point in such conversation. It is quite apparent that she culturally different. She is not pushy, loud or overbearing and my son tells me she is afraid of not fitting in our loud, pushy family. In fact she is timid. She wears American clothes. My son went to Russia and Ukraine while getting his Bachelors. The teacher (from Russia) told the class not to smile and laugh when meeting Rusians or they will see you as stupid.

Now, another bit of info. In 1993 to 1996, my late husband was working off shore in the Persian Gulf. He befriended a Russian man on a nearby ship. This man told my late husband not to believe anything about Yeltsin. A group of Russian police came to his house and told him that he was going to this job in the gulf or they would shoot and kill him right there. My late hub told me that their ship quarters had no air conditioning and they had a ration of one gallon of water each day. He would take extra water to the Russian ship every day that they were in port. The heat on upper deck ran from 105 to 115 every day. Imagine what it was below in the living quarters
I hope I gave you some info that you wanted. Correct me if I am wrong about Yeltsin. I didn't really keep up with politics and such back in the day. My husband died in 1996 so I never learned anything else about people who worked in the gulf.

Last edited by tinynot; 10-18-2014 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: added the word water

Old 10-18-2014, 11:57 PM

If interested, I can try to tell you how the situation seen from Russia. Law and fairness (righteousness) - these are different concepts. I think that for the majority of Russian fairness (righteousness) above the law. During the 20th century, Russia was the imperial laws, then the soviet laws, now capitalist laws. And every law differed from the previous one, but fairness (righteousness) was always the same. By law, the Crimea is Ukraine. But if we look at history, Crimea is Russian. The Russian Empire conquered the Crimea for several decades. Russia also improved nature the peninsula for a long time (the draining of wetlands, construction of traffic arteries, etc.). Sevastopol - is not just a Navy base, but also a city of military glory of Russia. Residents of the city heroically defended the city from the British and the French in 1854-1855 and from the Nazis in 1941-1942. And now the majority of the Crimean population want to live in Russia (not 97%, but still significantly more than half). Therefore, you should not be surprised, if the majority of Russian will tell you that "Crimea is ours". Because in some cases, fairness (righteousness) the above laws. The collapse of the Soviet Union, which was held on the artificial boundaries of the republics (excluding the population living in the area) - this is a big problem 20 and 21 centuries.

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 10-19-2014 at 12:05 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 12:17 AM

+ For example, popular Russian song:
"We can not back down, because behind us Sevastopol. Great Russian city, a city of Russian sailors."

Old 11-09-2014, 07:08 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethalstad View Post
This is a follow up thread to one that I made on the U.S. General forum, but with a little more detail.

I know that most Russians in Russia support Putin and his actions in Ukraine, but I do wonder what Russians abroad, especially in the United States think.

That being said, all that I want to know is the following:

1. Are Russians living abroad I.E. living in the EU and United States different than Russians in the Russian Federation in terms of education and ideology I.E. who and what they support and oppose when it comes to politics?

2. Are most of the young Russians ages 18-35 who are tourists (Russians who have moves to the U.S.A. to work and study here) in the United States big supporters of Putin, the annexation of Crimea and the war in Ukraine??? Or do they care little about politics as well whereas the Russians who are supporters of Putin and the war in Ukraine do not travel to and tour/visit the United States??

3. If I as an American citizen were to meet a Russian girl who is either a tourist, a Russian citizen or a foreign exchange student in the United States, would she most likely be a supporter of Putin, annexing Crimea and the war in Ukraine??? (I HOPE NOT!) Or are the Russians that are tourists in the United States neutral when it comes to this crisis?? I really would like to know!

Yes, Many people that live here in US and you consider Russian, are not Russian at all, they simply come from Soviet Block where they speak Russian fluently. The relationship between an immigrant and his past country is for psychologists to explain. Some hate Russia and everything that is Russian, others are normal.

I have lived in US for over 20 years, and so I am very different from a Russian in Russia, we have grown apart as I became an American.

Crimea was always Russian and very few people from that area dispute the fact. Crimea is Russia, always has been like that.

As far as meeting a Russian girl, I would like to do exactly that. Chances of her being a Putin supporter are the same as meeting an American girl that support Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World