Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities do you prefer & seem more interesting?
Canadian cities 54 48.21%
Nordic cities 58 51.79%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:47 AM

11,223 posts, read 16,363,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
Ghetto? Are you serious...

The Canadian suburbs just look artificial, they don't reflect on Canada's climate at all, and looks like homes that'll be found in Phoenix or Las Vegas. The yards are very big and there is a lot of space inside.

I thought that myself. I usually find myself in agreement with hobbe's posts, too.

I thought those areas looked quite nice.

And to all these Canadian suburb shots, not my cup of tea. I guess I'm just not a suburb guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 04:07 AM

15,082 posts, read 14,267,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivierad View Post
Seriously why are people so against driving a car? It gives you freedom. I myself hate public transportation, that's why I like living in suburb right outside a large city.

Btw public transportation in Canada's largest cities, particularly in Montreal and Toronto is excellent! No car needed at all, and they do have bike lanes.
We have about 800 kilometres of bike paths on the island of Montreal.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:12 AM

222 posts, read 341,955 times
These huge symmetric neighbourhoods with hundreds (or thousands?) of equal sized middle class houses and gardens located beside eachother in a network, simply don't exist in Scandinavia. Plenty of people have multiple floor houses, big gardens and garage in Scandinavia too, but they are not part of a designed neighbourhood like that.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:16 AM

355 posts, read 679,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakral View Post
These huge symmetric neighbourhoods with hundreds (or thousands?) of equal sized middle class houses and gardens located beside eachother in a network, simply don't exist in Scandinavia. Plenty of people have multiple floor houses, big gardens and garage in Scandinavia too, but they are not part of a designed neighbourhood like that.
I think they do exist, but in much smaller scale. Buildings look different as well. But I do find those, and the ones in Canada quite boring as well. We also have midrise neighbourhoods with repeating mid rise residental towers (like 4-5 stories) but that's another story.

And we have some great surban area, to those who said they look like ghettos. Those villas are very desirable in many places. We do have ghettos too, or more run down area. Often they are situated in high rise neighbourshoods.

Last edited by fikatid; 08-29-2014 at 05:32 AM..

Old 08-29-2014, 06:19 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,807,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Today, which is slightly cloudy the sea temperature is 13.3 C or 56 F. Not tropical by any means, but definitely swimmable ….and many people do.
Maybe with a wetsuit, but even then most people would not call 56F swimmable (of course I live in Texas where the water is 86F right now off the coast and the water doesn't even get as cold as 56F in the winter, maybe 58-60F).

However, using Canada as a measuring stick, even Canadian Maritimes gets to mid 60's water temps in the summer (and sometimes lower 70's) off the coast of Nova Scotia where you hit the Jet Stream.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:22 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,807,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@59.31...trs6ppMeeQ!2e0

There are a lot of places like that^ in Sweden. The landscape is similar to Canada and the houses are just as big. I would say the roads here however are much smaller, especially in residential areas...

Denmark has the biggest homes on average in the whole of Europe
Those are small lots and the homes are right on the streets.

Look at this street in Winnipeg for comparison:

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8534...U3rWxtlR4w!2e0

Large lots, much larger homes, better landscaping, wider roads so easier driving in harsh winter conditions.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:30 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,242,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Those are small lots and the homes are right on the streets.

Look at this street in Winnipeg for comparison:

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8534...U3rWxtlR4w!2e0

Large lots, much larger homes, better landscaping, wider roads so easier driving in harsh winter conditions.
These look a bit nicer than the other link.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@59.32...go-C_JnvnQ!2e0

these have bigger lots:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@59.36...rYOdUnjTQQ!2e0

Invicible's view was completely different. The homes seem a bit smaller in the Scandivian one, but otherwise they look like nicer neighborhoods. There's not much landscaping in the Winnipeg view there, either. Seems a bit blank and bland to me.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:55 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,947,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
These look a bit nicer than the other link.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@59.32...go-C_JnvnQ!2e0

these have bigger lots:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@59.36...rYOdUnjTQQ!2e0

Invicible's view was completely different. The homes seem a bit smaller in the Scandivian one, but otherwise they look like nicer neighborhoods. There's not much landscaping in the Winnipeg view there, either. Seems a bit blank and bland to me.
These homes also have a large lower ground floor/basement, used as a living room or more bedrooms.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:30 AM

23,862 posts, read 71,242,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I am aware they are among the healthiest in the world, but I would have difficulty eating a lot of really simple foods like just vegetable sandwiches, cured/ smoked fish, simple sausages & simply boiled potatoes. Just very basic & simple & bland for my tastes.

I know it's not just like the cafeteria at IKEA, but I do know the cuisine is "simple" in all definitions
So why not go to a restaurant that doesn´t serve that food?

Old 08-29-2014, 07:36 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,947,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I am aware they are among the healthiest in the world, but I would have difficulty eating a lot of really simple foods like just vegetable sandwiches, cured/ smoked fish, simple sausages & simply boiled potatoes. Just very basic & simple & bland for my tastes.

I know it's not just like the cafeteria at IKEA, but I do know the cuisine is "simple" in all definitions
What is it you eat in the USA that you cannot find here in Sweden...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World