U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:55 PM

340 posts, read 293,480 times

Advertisements

The USA isn't hated as much nowadays, we are getting slightly less ignorant over time and we're getting over a hump.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,180,648 times
Americans have an impression that people hate them more than they actually do. Even most Arab countries don't hate Americans as much as perceived. Just a vocal minority. Except the French. They really hate us.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:23 PM

354 posts, read 449,639 times
Because they think they're the best at everything :spit:

Old 08-29-2014, 11:27 PM

245 posts, read 312,117 times
Americans get a lot of flack for being ignorant of other people's cultures, along with thinking they are the best at everything.

I think it is probably better now. America's media is heavily intertwined in nation's culture, that I don't think there are many nations where the common person really hates Americans, perhaps the American government (they're dicks, so not really a surprise). The internet has probably exposed other people to Americans and made them realize that Americans are very different people due to how large the nation is, and not everyone is the traditional gun-ho American that foreigners tend not to be fond of.

The only thing I've noticed from when I tell people I am American is that they assume I have money. Other than that, most are very friendly.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:46 PM

16,539 posts, read 24,022,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Well, a lot of it is jealousy. The USA is the only superpower in the world and it controls and influences all countries in the world.
Jealousy is such a cop-out excuse. This would mean that people in other countries spend most of their waking hours thinking about the US rather than going about their day to day lives. To believe that is ridiculous. Let's try some of the other reasons already mentioned in this thread. Our country doesn't have the best track record when it comes to foreign policy. Not to mention the way we project ourselves. Think about it; if someone at your job felt the need to constantly tell everyone else that they're the best there is, that person would probably be not well liked. Just saying.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I have traveled to a lot of places and I would not want to live anywhere else.

For a person like me, with a Conservative, individualistic, Capitalistic, pro-gun, anti-Government mentality, Europe would not be a good fit.

Just like California, New York, New Jersey would not be good places for me because I don't agree with Liberal values.

I guess what pisses people off in other countries is the fact that the USA is very good at marketing- it sells a lot of BS to other countries through Hollywood, sitcoms and other means of communication.

Even if China became the wealthiest country in the world, it will never have the same cultural influence that the USA has because most people in the world don't care, don't understand and have little interest in Chinese culture.

On the other hand, any stupid American sitcom(Baywatch, for example) becomes a hit all over the world with little effort-there is something about the USA that fascinates people all over the world.
You don't know your truly liberal states. New Jersey is really just a bit left of center and in CA, it took a court order to finally legalize same sex marriage. Meanwhile, Vermont and Washington State have flown under your radar.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:54 PM

15,085 posts, read 12,851,263 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by Repubocrat

Well, a lot of it is jealousy. The USA is the
only superpower in the world and it controls and influences all countries in the
world.
Sure. Other countries are very jealous of your violent gun culture, your obesity, your crappy education, your poor access to healthcare, your religious mania, your bloated welfare rolls, your massive debt, etc.
They spend their days wishing they had that, and sleepless nights tossing in sweat-soaked sheets, seething with jealously.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 PM

I would say most people around the world dislike the US government more than anything else. You would think this wouldn't be a problem as it seems the majority of Americans dislike our government also.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:19 AM

245 posts, read 312,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You don't know your truly liberal states. New Jersey is really just a bit left of center and in CA, it took a court order to finally legalize same sex marriage. Meanwhile, Vermont and Washington State have flown under your radar.
Seems like he just went off the presidential election.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:04 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,026,649 times
Quote:
Well, a lot of it is jealousy. The USA is the only superpower in the world and it controls and influences all countries in the world.
^^^It's this, and lines like "We freed you people, so thanks to us......" that off's people here.

Even if it's true, out here you're not supposed to shout it off the roofs and beat your chest about it.

On the other hand we (Holland) could use a little more patriotism. It's like allmost forbidden to be proud of your country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.