U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2014, 10:07 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,539 posts, read 23,992,316 times
Reputation: 8833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
because America is a threat, the same reason people hate China, because they feel threatened

I noticed a high percentage of Americans hate China too
The threat theory may have some validity to it. Besides China and the USA, Russia isn't much liked either and it is also seen as a threat.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 08-30-2014, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
67,586 posts, read 63,078,362 times
Reputation: 82840
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
Americans get a lot of flack for being ignorant of other people's cultures, along with thinking they are the best at everything.

I think it is probably better now. America's media is heavily intertwined in nation's culture, that I don't think there are many nations where the common person really hates Americans, perhaps the American government (they're dicks, so not really a surprise). The internet has probably exposed other people to Americans and made them realize that Americans are very different people due to how large the nation is, and not everyone is the traditional gun-ho American that foreigners tend not to be fond of.

The only thing I've noticed from when I tell people I am American is that they assume I have money. Other than that, most are very friendly.
I read a story by a man who went to Japan to work and all the kids in the town he was in wanted to see his gun. He told them that he didn't have one, and they didn't believe him because they think all Americans carry guns.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-30-2014, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,256 posts, read 25,775,837 times
Reputation: 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
It's not the best country in terms of anything other than their ability to blow the entire planet to hell.
LOL exactly. Why do certain Americans only ever focus on the whole 'superpower' schtick? Nobody else is bothered. Having thousands of nuclear warheads and the highest military budget in the world is irrelevant to my life. Besides, when push comes to shove, the largest military forces in Europe absolutely have the capability to defend themselves against an aggressor. France, UK, Germany and Italy combined have a military budget of over 200 billion dollars.

But you have another point, intentional or not - the US is the largest economy in the world and if the US economy tanks, the rest of the world will follow. It's kind of annoying that the fate of the world's economy might be at the mercy of just one country. Could you imagine if the US defaulted on its debt? That would be grounds to hate them - for screwing up the world economy (again).

But anyway - people don't hate the US really - just its foreign policy, and certain arrogant Americans who think everyone else is jealous of them, when that couldn't be further from the truth. These types of Americans cannot accept that their country has faults and isn't a beacon of perfection.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 08-30-2014 at 10:30 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-30-2014, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Iowa, Heartland of Murica
3,433 posts, read 5,777,750 times
Reputation: 3419
Europeans who hate the USA are for the most part, Far Left Wing pseudo-intellectuals.

Thats is because Europeans for the most part equate intellectuality with being as Liberal as possible, it does not matter how far-fetched and irrational these Liberal ideas may be.

Americans are often accused of being dumb but most Europeans are group think, politically correct drones programmed to accept and comply with whatever Big Daddy Government decides is best for them.

The hipocrisy is just disgusting!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-30-2014, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,479,333 times
Reputation: 2197
Usa#1!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-30-2014, 11:08 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,539 posts, read 23,992,316 times
Reputation: 8833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Europeans who hate the USA are for the most part, Far Left Wing pseudo-intellectuals.

Thats is because Europeans for the most part equate intellectuality with being as Liberal as possible, it does not matter how far-fetched and irrational these Liberal ideas may be.

Americans are often accused of being dumb but most Europeans are group think, politically correct drones programmed to accept and comply with whatever Big Daddy Government decides is best for them.

The hipocrisy is just disgusting!
Your entire post is proof to why Americans get a bad rap both abroad and at home. Your problem is with people who aren't conservative like you are. I am willing to bet that if Europeans hated Americans but shared your beliefs that you would turn a blind eye to it.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Status: "Wokeness is just a fear of freedom .. and of responsibility" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna. (birthplace)
14,365 posts, read 8,784,315 times
Reputation: 18417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Europeans who hate the USA are for the most part, Far Left Wing pseudo-intellectuals.

Thats is because Europeans for the most part equate intellectuality with being as Liberal as possible, it does not matter how far-fetched and irrational these Liberal ideas may be.

Americans are often accused of being dumb but most Europeans are group think, politically correct drones programmed to accept and comply with whatever Big Daddy Government decides is best for them.

The hipocrisy is just disgusting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Your entire post is proof to why Americans get a bad rap both abroad and at home. Your problem is with people who aren't conservative like you are. I am willing to bet that if Europeans hated Americans but shared your beliefs that you would turn a blind eye to it.
It seems that nothing deflates a strident "progressive" (they're afraid to call themselves "Liberal" anymore) faster than the truth.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-30-2014, 11:38 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,539 posts, read 23,992,316 times
Reputation: 8833
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It seems that nothing deflates a strident "progressive" (they're afraid to call themselves "Liberal" anymore) faster than the truth.
Know your audience. I never use the word progressive to describe myself and I am not afraid to call myself liberal at all.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-30-2014, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,256 posts, read 25,775,837 times
Reputation: 8753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Europeans who hate the USA are for the most part, Far Left Wing pseudo-intellectuals.

Thats is because Europeans for the most part equate intellectuality with being as Liberal as possible, it does not matter how far-fetched and irrational these Liberal ideas may be.

Americans are often accused of being dumb but most Europeans are group think, politically correct drones programmed to accept and comply with whatever Big Daddy Government decides is best for them.

The hipocrisy is just disgusting!
No. If there is one thing that unites Europeans it's a disdain for the United States, regardless of political stance. Your right-wing is too far to the right for European conservatives. I mean, we have a centre-right party in government and they're still too socialist for your typical Republican.

There is no 'groupthink' mentality in Europe. It's just further to the left politically, like the US is further to the right. Should I accuse Americans of being brainwashed sheep because they're more conservative than Europeans and seem to universally loathe the government and think it is incapable of doing anything right? I mean, you chastise liberals in the US because they don't think like you, but you chastise Europeans for all thinking the same. This leads me to believe that you only care about 'groupthink' mentalities when they do not share your views of the world and how it should be.

In short: you're a weirdo.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 08-30-2014 at 12:05 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-30-2014, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,466 posts, read 11,487,638 times
Reputation: 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
No. If there is one thing that unites Europeans it's a disdain for the United States, regardless of political stance. Your right-wing is too far to the right for European conservatives. I mean, we have a centre-right party in government and they're still too socialist for your typical Republican.

There is no 'groupthink' mentality in Europe. It's just further to the left politically, like the US is further to the right. Should I accuse Americans of being brainwashed sheep because they're more conservative than Europeans and seem to universally loathe the government and think it is incapable of doing anything right? I mean, you chastise liberals in the US because they don't think like you, but you chastise Europeans for all thinking the same. This leads me to believe that you only care about 'groupthink' mentalities when they do not share your views of the world and how it should be.

In short: you're a weirdo.
He is just a typical far right wing American that has a take no prisoners, compromise is evil mentality. Why the USA is bound to break apart. We don't all belong in the same nation together.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top