U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 10:24 PM

16,559 posts, read 24,658,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
There isn't enough time in the day to correct all of the things that are falsely and widely believed on this board and in real life.

I've never heard that about Berkeley or California being trashed, but I'm from NYC and I might have been sheleted from those opinions. Strangely, most Americans seem to hate NYC and foreigners love it, but foreigners hate the USA. People's opinions of NYC mean nothing to me regardless of whether it's negative or positive. But the negative stereotyping about American people is pervasive and grating when you have to deal with it on a daily basis.
Yeah I know NYC isn't well liked either. It's on that same level as Berkeley, San Francisco, Los Angeles and to a lesser extent, Seattle. Americans love to hate those cities.

I don't see why hating a city is really that much different. People have their opinions of paces they like and dislike and like I said, if there is truth then so be it. There is some truth to what people say about the US whether we want to admit it or not. One of those for me is our current willingness to just accept it. Now when anyone says things that are far out in left field, I speak up on that as well.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-08-2014, 10:37 PM

11,261 posts, read 14,723,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Canada should be split apart and some parts should join usa like vancouver and Toronto.

I mean why is Toronto Canadian?? Its got more connections with American cities and is actually like America.
Quote:
Well its nothing like Canadian places i've been to like Winnipeg.

You REEEEEAAALY need to stop measuring Canada, and what is or is not "Canadian" based off Winnipeg. Toronto is a Canadian city, through and through. Just like Winnipeg is, or Calgary, or Edmonton, or Halifax, etc....

This country is 9,984,670 sq kms. That's a lot of ground to cover, and a lot of different types of "Canadian" to be seen.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:54 PM

16,559 posts, read 24,658,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
You REEEEEAAALY need to stop measuring Canada, and what is or is not "Canadian" based off Winnipeg. Toronto is a Canadian city, through and through. Just like Winnipeg is, or Calgary, or Edmonton, or Halifax, etc....

This country is 9,984,670 sq kms. That's a lot of ground to cover, and a lot of different types of "Canadian" to be seen.
No, no, no. Toronto, we're taking that. Just like we're going to take Tijuana since a good many people who work in San Diego live in TJ.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No, no, no. Toronto, we're taking that. Just like we're going to take Tijuana since a good many people who work in San Diego live in TJ.

Well, just don't dirty it up. We keep it nice and tidy.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:25 PM

12,892 posts, read 12,775,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Ya - the last time y'all took Toronto it was quite a blast

The catastrophic explosion that defined the War of 1812

Old 11-09-2014, 12:14 AM

125 posts, read 144,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
actually I love America is the peoples attitude I hate sure there are nice,open-minded,thin,anti-racist and gay-supporting Americans but there is also racist,unhealthy,fat,rude,homophobic,prudish,gun-loving and uneducated Americans.the negative ones are the ones I blame for anti Americanism sad but true.
You ascribe only negative characteristics to the whole population. That's tantamount to bigotry. And yet you complain about racism? You're a hypocrite.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:09 AM

3,047 posts, read 1,186,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
You ascribe only negative characteristics to the whole population. That's tantamount to bigotry. And yet you complain about racism? You're a hypocrite.
Bro so then what you want me to give thanks for police brutality.ok

Old 11-09-2014, 01:31 AM

6,903 posts, read 10,512,082 times
Why? Jealousy. The middle class in America enjoys probably the BEST standard of living of any country in the world. As for the rich, they can live an elite and high profile life in any country, money can buy you anything.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:47 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,296,253 times
Quote:
Canada should be split apart and some parts should join usa like vancouver and Toronto.

I mean why is Toronto Canadian?? Its got more connections with American cities and is actually like America.

What? Have you ever been to Toronto, and I mean for more than a visit?

Toronto is quintessentially Canadian, as is British Columbia in a western sort of way. I've lived in both places, and have family in both places, and I can't think of one American city to compare them to. I'm pretty sure Canadians wouldn't thank you for the suggestion. We'd likely hear a lot of "Hell. no! We won't go!"

Let's just tag Ireland back onto Scotland where it came from in the first place. Think that would be okay with everyone? It's just as daft!

I love what Leonard Cohen said once, a long time ago in Montreal. He'd made a list of things that he wanted to do, and he read it to the audience. (The man's a master storyteller.) One of his ambitions was to have the Canadian Government tell the U.S. that Canada would join them... and then pull out at the last minute! It was hilarious, but I guess you had to be there.

ROFL!

RT

Old 11-09-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Why? Jealousy. The middle class in America enjoys probably the BEST standard of living of any country in the world. As for the rich, they can live an elite and high profile life in any country, money can buy you anything.

Canada's middle class richest in study of big nations - The Globe and Mail

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/up...abt=0002&abg=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.